Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > video codec installation

video codec installation

Gregor

I have some problems regarding video codecs in windows xp x64. A program I
use (Altair HyperWorks) can only access the video codecs listed in the device
manager in the folder "sound, video and game controllers". I installed a
codec package (K-Lite-Codec Pack) to get some more video codecs, because I
couldn't see animations in HyperWorks. The problem is, that the new codecs
were not installed (or registered) in the list in the device manager. So I
can watch the animations with any media player now, but they don't work in
Hyperworks.
So my question: How do I have to install new codecs, that they appear in the
bespoke list?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Carlos

Gregor,
Before installing codec package you need to know which is the format of the
animations you can't see in HyperWorks.
Video files are composed of a container (i.e.: "avi", "mkv", "mov") and the
info encoded with a compression algorithm (i.e.: "divx", "xvid", etc.).
What can you tell us about them?
Please take into account that 64-bit programs need 64-bit codecs and that
32-bit programs need 32-bit codecs.
Which is the "bitness" of HyperWorks?
Carlos

"Gregor" wrote:

> I have some problems regarding video codecs in windows xp x64. A program I
> use (Altair HyperWorks) can only access the video codecs listed in the device
> manager in the folder "sound, video and game controllers". I installed a
> codec package (K-Lite-Codec Pack) to get some more video codecs, because I
> couldn't see animations in HyperWorks. The problem is, that the new codecs
> were not installed (or registered) in the list in the device manager. So I
> can watch the animations with any media player now, but they don't work in
> Hyperworks.
> So my question: How do I have to install new codecs, that they appear in the
> bespoke list?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

Gregor

Hello Carlos,

thanks for your quick response. The files I mostly use are "avi" and the
"indeo 5.10" compression. I have installed the 64bit -Version of Hyperworks 9.
I have already talked to the Altair-Support and he explained me that the
program can only access the codecs in the list in the device manager (see
message before)

Thank you very much for your help!

kind regards,
Gregor

"Carlos" wrote:

> Gregor,
> Before installing codec package you need to know which is the format of the
> animations you can't see in HyperWorks.
> Video files are composed of a container (i.e.: "avi", "mkv", "mov") and the
> info encoded with a compression algorithm (i.e.: "divx", "xvid", etc.).
> What can you tell us about them?
> Please take into account that 64-bit programs need 64-bit codecs and that
> 32-bit programs need 32-bit codecs.
> Which is the "bitness" of HyperWorks?
> Carlos
>
> "Gregor" wrote:
>
> > I have some problems regarding video codecs in windows xp x64. A program I
> > use (Altair HyperWorks) can only access the video codecs listed in the device
> > manager in the folder "sound, video and game controllers". I installed a
> > codec package (K-Lite-Codec Pack) to get some more video codecs, because I
> > couldn't see animations in HyperWorks. The problem is, that the new codecs
> > were not installed (or registered) in the list in the device manager. So I
> > can watch the animations with any media player now, but they don't work in
> > Hyperworks.
> > So my question: How do I have to install new codecs, that they appear in the
> > bespoke list?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help!

Carlos

There's the root cause. You need the x64 version of the Indeo codec which
does not (and will not) exist.
Your players can play your avi files because they are 32-bit players that
use the 32-bit available Indeo codec.

This is what Ligos (Indeo mfgr) says here:
http://www.ligos.com/index.php/home/.../indeosupport/
"64-bit Windows Operating Systems - Please note that Indeo Codecs are not
compatible with any 64-bit version of Windows OSes (Windows XP 64-bit Edition
for Itanium systems, Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003, Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition, 64-bit versions of Windows Server, and 64-bit
versions of Windows Vista)."

Is there any way that you can change the compression format from Indeo to a
more popular one?

Carlos

"Gregor" wrote:

> Hello Carlos,
>
> thanks for your quick response. The files I mostly use are "avi" and the
> "indeo 5.10" compression. I have installed the 64bit -Version of Hyperworks 9.
> I have already talked to the Altair-Support and he explained me that the
> program can only access the codecs in the list in the device manager (see
> message before)
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
>
> kind regards,
> Gregor
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Gregor,
> > Before installing codec package you need to know which is the format of the
> > animations you can't see in HyperWorks.
> > Video files are composed of a container (i.e.: "avi", "mkv", "mov") and the
> > info encoded with a compression algorithm (i.e.: "divx", "xvid", etc.).
> > What can you tell us about them?
> > Please take into account that 64-bit programs need 64-bit codecs and that
> > 32-bit programs need 32-bit codecs.
> > Which is the "bitness" of HyperWorks?
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Gregor" wrote:
> >
> > > I have some problems regarding video codecs in windows xp x64. A program I
> > > use (Altair HyperWorks) can only access the video codecs listed in the device
> > > manager in the folder "sound, video and game controllers". I installed a
> > > codec package (K-Lite-Codec Pack) to get some more video codecs, because I
> > > couldn't see animations in HyperWorks. The problem is, that the new codecs
> > > were not installed (or registered) in the list in the device manager. So I
> > > can watch the animations with any media player now, but they don't work in
> > > Hyperworks.
> > > So my question: How do I have to install new codecs, that they appear in the
> > > bespoke list?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for your help!

Gregor

Hey,

ok, i was not aware of that. I chose this codec because everybody in my
"working environment" can watch the videos. Can you recommend a other one
which is compatible with xp x64?

Thank you very much for your support!
Gregor

"Carlos" wrote:

> There's the root cause. You need the x64 version of the Indeo codec which
> does not (and will not) exist.
> Your players can play your avi files because they are 32-bit players that
> use the 32-bit available Indeo codec.
>
> This is what Ligos (Indeo mfgr) says here:
> http://www.ligos.com/index.php/home/.../indeosupport/
> "64-bit Windows Operating Systems - Please note that Indeo Codecs are not
> compatible with any 64-bit version of Windows OSes (Windows XP 64-bit Edition
> for Itanium systems, Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003, Windows XP
> Professional x64 Edition, 64-bit versions of Windows Server, and 64-bit
> versions of Windows Vista)."
>
> Is there any way that you can change the compression format from Indeo to a
> more popular one?
>
> Carlos
>
> "Gregor" wrote:
>
> > Hello Carlos,
> >
> > thanks for your quick response. The files I mostly use are "avi" and the
> > "indeo 5.10" compression. I have installed the 64bit -Version of Hyperworks 9.
> > I have already talked to the Altair-Support and he explained me that the
> > program can only access the codecs in the list in the device manager (see
> > message before)
> >
> > Thank you very much for your help!
> >
> > kind regards,
> > Gregor
> >
> > "Carlos" wrote:
> >
> > > Gregor,
> > > Before installing codec package you need to know which is the format of the
> > > animations you can't see in HyperWorks.
> > > Video files are composed of a container (i.e.: "avi", "mkv", "mov") and the
> > > info encoded with a compression algorithm (i.e.: "divx", "xvid", etc.).
> > > What can you tell us about them?
> > > Please take into account that 64-bit programs need 64-bit codecs and that
> > > 32-bit programs need 32-bit codecs.
> > > Which is the "bitness" of HyperWorks?
> > > Carlos

Carlos

Gregor,
Try this version of ffdshow:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffds...4.exe/download

It is an x64 multiformat encoder/decoder.
I would choose the xvid coded from that bunch.
They can coexist with your current 32-bit codecs.
Carlos

"Gregor" wrote:

> Hey,
>
> ok, i was not aware of that. I chose this codec because everybody in my
> "working environment" can watch the videos. Can you recommend a other one
> which is compatible with xp x64?
>
> Thank you very much for your support!
> Gregor
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > There's the root cause. You need the x64 version of the Indeo codec which
> > does not (and will not) exist.
> > Your players can play your avi files because they are 32-bit players that
> > use the 32-bit available Indeo codec.
> >
> > This is what Ligos (Indeo mfgr) says here:
> > http://www.ligos.com/index.php/home/.../indeosupport/
> > "64-bit Windows Operating Systems - Please note that Indeo Codecs are not
> > compatible with any 64-bit version of Windows OSes (Windows XP 64-bit Edition
> > for Itanium systems, Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003, Windows XP
> > Professional x64 Edition, 64-bit versions of Windows Server, and 64-bit
> > versions of Windows Vista)."
> >
> > Is there any way that you can change the compression format from Indeo to a
> > more popular one?
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Gregor" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Carlos,
> > >
> > > thanks for your quick response. The files I mostly use are "avi" and the
> > > "indeo 5.10" compression. I have installed the 64bit -Version of Hyperworks 9.
> > > I have already talked to the Altair-Support and he explained me that the
> > > program can only access the codecs in the list in the device manager (see
> > > message before)
> > >
> > > Thank you very much for your help!
> > >
> > > kind regards,
> > > Gregor

Gregor

Thank you very much!
With divx it works.

kind regards,
Gregor

"Carlos" wrote:

> Gregor,
> Try this version of ffdshow:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffds...4.exe/download
>
> It is an x64 multiformat encoder/decoder.
> I would choose the xvid coded from that bunch.
> They can coexist with your current 32-bit codecs.
> Carlos
>
> "Gregor" wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> >
> > ok, i was not aware of that. I chose this codec because everybody in my
> > "working environment" can watch the videos. Can you recommend a other one
> > which is compatible with xp x64?
> >
> > Thank you very much for your support!
> > Gregor
> >
> > "Carlos" wrote:
> >
> > > There's the root cause. You need the x64 version of the Indeo codec which
> > > does not (and will not) exist.
> > > Your players can play your avi files because they are 32-bit players that
> > > use the 32-bit available Indeo codec.
> > >
> > > This is what Ligos (Indeo mfgr) says here:
> > > http://www.ligos.com/index.php/home/.../indeosupport/
> > > "64-bit Windows Operating Systems - Please note that Indeo Codecs are not
> > > compatible with any 64-bit version of Windows OSes (Windows XP 64-bit Edition
> > > for Itanium systems, Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003, Windows XP
> > > Professional x64 Edition, 64-bit versions of Windows Server, and 64-bit
> > > versions of Windows Vista)."
> > >
> > > Is there any way that you can change the compression format from Indeo to a
> > > more popular one?
> > >
> > > Carlos

Carlos

Gregor,
Thanks for your feedback, it will surely help others.
Carlos

"Gregor" wrote:

> Thank you very much!
> With divx it works.
>
> kind regards,
> Gregor
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Gregor,
> > Try this version of ffdshow:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffds...4.exe/download
> >
> > It is an x64 multiformat encoder/decoder.
> > I would choose the xvid coded from that bunch.
> > They can coexist with your current 32-bit codecs.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Gregor" wrote:
> >
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > ok, i was not aware of that. I chose this codec because everybody in my
> > > "working environment" can watch the videos. Can you recommend a other one
> > > which is compatible with xp x64?
> > >
> > > Thank you very much for your support!
> > > Gregor

Codec lookup fails for bad codec name, blowing up BeautifulSoup John Nagle Python 3 11-10-2007 02:55 AM
Codec Video on FPGA pho VHDL 1 06-08-2005 04:08 PM
Does the lastest Nero Vision Express support XVID Codec file to make dvd video ? Bun Mui Computer Support 2 08-02-2004 07:53 PM
Most compatible Video codec to use (Camtasia Studio) *** HAWK Computer Support 2 01-18-2004 01:05 PM

Advertisments