Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > File backup software for home and SOHO users.

File backup software for home and SOHO users.

Wao

I have a box with Windows Vista Home Basic installed. I've realized that
while the factory backup software included with Windows Vista Home Basic
manages to copy most of my user content it doesn't provide a way to save
certain user files and it doesn't let me exclude certain files and
folders--as to speed up the back up process and saving some space in the
backup media.

Therefore, I'm looking for something that can run backups for selected files
and folders at regular intervals. That software must ask any user of the
computer -- including non administrators-- to insert removable media
(DVD+-RW, USB key, or USB Hard disk) when the need arises. The computer may
be turned off or be sleeping at the scheduled backup time. The expected
backup size is 3 GB to 20 GB. Also, the backup software must provide a way
to recover single files and directories to a specified folder location.

The main backup media will be DVD +/- RW but I may end up using, either, USB
keys or an external USB hard disk at some point.

While I'm a complete novice regarding backup software I have noted down some
features that I thought may be worthwhile for such kind of software being
used in a home environment:

Low footprint.
Easy-of-use and friendliness for the novice.
Low chances to conflict with Windows Vista (after an update).
Free customer support.
None or few known and unresolved software bugs.
A free software updates feature would be welcome.
Comprehensive help file stored in the computer and easy to understand.
It being widely used software so it's really easy looking for help.
Solvent software company unlike to go bankrupt or unlikely to abandon their
backup product.

After a few web searches I ended up with this [partial] list of software
packages that may or may not be adapted to what I need:

East-Tec Backup.
Nero BackItUp.
Norton Ghost.
Paragon Drive Backup Personal.
Acronis True Image Home.

At this point I certainly need other peers input for advice on what software
package to pick up. Also, I'm wondering whether an equivalent Windows Seven
OS to Windows Vista Home Basic may come with a more customizable backup
tool.

All advice is appreciated!

XS11E

"Wao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> After a few web searches I ended up with this [partial] list of
> software packages that may or may not be adapted to what I need:

> Acronis True Image Home.

I've been very please with Acronis, I've used it to backup/restore my
computers for several years.

There may be a free version available for you if you have a
Seagate/Maxtor or Western Digital harddrive in your PC, search their
websites for it.

The Usenet Improvement Project:

why?

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 01:07:19 +0200, Wao wrote:

What a long story....

>I have a box with Windows Vista Home Basic installed. I've realized that
>while the factory backup software included with Windows Vista Home Basic
>manages to copy most of my user content it doesn't provide a way to save
>certain user files and it doesn't let me exclude certain files and
>folders--as to speed up the back up process and saving some space in the
>backup media.
>
>Therefore, I'm looking for something that can run backups for selected files

Acronis and scheduled tasks.

>and folders at regular intervals. That software must ask any user of the
>computer -- including non administrators-- to insert removable media

I am assuming Vista HB doesn't have this, but other versions of Win NT
have a backup operator account. This is the account name/password you
configure backup software to use.

Otherwise you would have to make a backup account with the required
access to files / folders.

>(DVD+-RW, USB key, or USB Hard disk) when the need arises. The computer may
>be turned off or be sleeping at the scheduled backup time. The expected

Never tried turning the computer off before a scheduled backup

>backup size is 3 GB to 20 GB. Also, the backup software must provide a way
>to recover single files and directories to a specified folder location.

Acronis and other similar products.

>The main backup media will be DVD +/- RW but I may end up using, either, USB
>keys or an external USB hard disk at some point.

USB hardisk / backup pack may well include the software, sort of like
http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/spring2004/onetouch.html
Our Take on Maxtor OneTouch Backup: Is It Right for You?

There are quite a few similar products, or there was last time I looked.

>While I'm a complete novice regarding backup software I have noted down some
>features that I thought may be worthwhile for such kind of software being
>used in a home environment:

www.google.com for backup products and read / compare features yourself.

<snip list of features>

>East-Tec Backup.
>Nero BackItUp.
>Norton Ghost.

It's been a while but even an old version of Ghost (Explorer) lets you
restore individual files.

>Paragon Drive Backup Personal.
>Acronis True Image Home.

Would usually go for either of those. Both product sites list the
features.

>At this point I certainly need other peers input for advice on what software

www.google.com for backup products above and read / compare features
yourself.

Like this, use the extra words compare / review in your search.

>package to pick up. Also, I'm wondering whether an equivalent Windows Seven
>OS to Windows Vista Home Basic may come with a more customizable backup

Really?

>tool.
>
>All advice is appreciated!

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,580,000 for
review east-tec backup
.. (0.32 seconds)

East-Tec Backup 2008 Shareware download and review - backup your ...
East-Tec Backup 2008 is a personal backup tool that enables you to
create tasks to automatically m.
www.snapfiles.com/get/etbackup.html - Cached - Similar -
#
East-Tec Backup 2006 Review - East-Tec Backup 2006 Download ...
Stay Safe And Backup Your Data! East-Tec Backup 2006 is here. By Codrut
Nistor, Editor, Software Reviews. 16th of October 2006, 12:42 GMT.
Adjust text size: ...
http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/......ew-38027.shtml -
Cached - Similar -
#
East-Tec Backup 2009 : Reviews and Awards
East-Tec Backup 2009 backs up and protects your important files,
documents, emails, photos, program settings, and more. It is very easy
to use and features ...
www.east-tec.com/consumer/backup/reviews.htm - Cached - Similar -

Another search
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,130,000 for compare
acronis paragon
.. (0.23 seconds)

Wow, found this
http://disk-imaging-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
2009 Disk Imaging Software Review Product Comparisons

You get the idea, you did a lot of initial work take it a bit further.

Me

Wao

"XS11E" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha escrit al
missatge:Xns9C77B0067AACExs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1.. .

>> Acronis True Image Home.

> I've been very please with Acronis, I've used it to backup/restore my
> computers for several years.
>
> There may be a free version available for you if you have a
> Seagate/Maxtor or Western Digital harddrive in your PC, search their
> websites for it.

I actually have a Seagate hard disk but I couldn't manage to find a full
version of Acronis True Image Home on the Seagate website. On the other
hand, I've found a version that lets the user make an image of an entire
disk or partition. I've also found a version for Seagate external hard disks
that can back up selected files but it doesn't seem to be able to work with
DVDs. Could you, please, tell me if there is an Acronis version capable of
making backups of user selected files and being able to burn DVDs on the
Seagate website?

Thank you in advance.

Wao

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha escrit al
missatge:h7fnaf$fve$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Software (free) that is suitable for Data backups is available by the
> bucket load.
> Good ones to use though are Syncback
> http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html (bottom of page) and Cobian 9
> http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm
> Both are very reliable and useable for commercial purposes.
> Syncback is speedy after the first run as it only copies the new and
> changed files.
> Cobian is good for copying open files (which Syncback free won't) so
> handles those critical files like open Outlook pst files because the
> 'bl..dy' user won't/forgets to close Outlook.
>
> Both programs have a lot of cutomisations available.
> For example Syncback Free can compress individual files or put them in one
> zip or just copy without compression.
> Cobian can maintain several copies and automatically delete older backups.
> I can only encourage you to download them and try them.
> They work for me.
>
> Best
> Paul.

Thank you for those links, Paul!

I'm going to give them a try asap.

In the meantime, I have found a software solution called GFI Backup Home
2009 ( http://www.gfi.com/backup-hm/ ) but I have not tried it as yet.

Wao

Thank you for answering my question!

> USB hardisk / backup pack may well include the software, sort of like
> http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/spring2004/onetouch.html
> Our Take on Maxtor OneTouch Backup: Is It Right for You?

I'm actually considering a solution like that. As a home and SOHO computer
user we make or edit very few files over the week so what I have been doing
until now is hand picking all the files that need to be backed up and then
burning them to a DVD. Doing that is more annoying than time consuming. The
reason why I'm considering a dedicated backup software is that I recently
realized that our last backup was about six months old which is no good.
Also, I first considered only backing up data but, maybe, going for an
external USB hard disk and making system images would be a better backup
choice. I do not know... Reinstalling all the software after a system crash
may be a bit time consuming but it helps making sure there's no viruses or
other nasty pieces of software residing in our computer.

> It's been a while but even an old version of Ghost (Explorer) lets you
> restore individual files.
>
>>Paragon Drive Backup Personal.
>>Acronis True Image Home.

> Would usually go for either of those. Both product sites list the
> features.

Both those software suites seem quite feature packed and they seem to have
many positive reviews all over the Internet.

I may be wrong, but for what I've seen, it is easier to restore a system
image than individual files with those programs. Am I right? I have not
installed any of their 30-day trial offerings.

> www.google.com for backup products above and read / compare features
> yourself.
>
> Like this, use the extra words compare / review in your search.

I have found a piece of software named GFI Backup Home 2009 which seems good
enough for data backups saved on DVDs.

( http://www.gfi.com/backup-hm/free-backup-software )

> Wow, found this
> http://disk-imaging-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
> 2009 Disk Imaging Software Review Product Comparisons

That's a very interesting comparative, thanks!

> You get the idea, you did a lot of initial work take it a bit further.

I also found out a couple more pieces of software that may be good enough
for our needs. They're:

Genie Timeline
( http://www.genie-soft.com/products/g...e/default.html )

Genie Backup Manager Home v8.0
( http://www.genie-soft.com/products/gbm/us/default.html )

So many choices plus all the different features to compare are appalling to
me. Are any of those software packages more likely to present
incompatibilities with Windows Vista or Windows Seven? I read somewhere that
some of those programs have software dependencies which may or may not pose
a problem after an update which is something I do not fully grasp.

XS11E

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...ads/discwizard

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 17:23:31 +0200, Wao wrote:

>Thank you for answering my question!
>
>> USB hardisk / backup pack may well include the software, sort of like
>> http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/spring2004/onetouch.html
>> Our Take on Maxtor OneTouch Backup: Is It Right for You?

>I'm actually considering a solution like that. As a home and SOHO computer
>user we make or edit very few files over the week so what I have been doing
>until now is hand picking all the files that need to be backed up and then

For that sort of thing, I use WinRAR and a batch file / fixed file input
list to check for modified files. Gets rid of the pick by hand.

>burning them to a DVD. Doing that is more annoying than time consuming. The

Then DVD.

>reason why I'm considering a dedicated backup software is that I recently

With MS Schedular and auto dating files makes it a non issue.

>realized that our last backup was about six months old which is no good.

True

>Also, I first considered only backing up data but, maybe, going for an
>external USB hard disk and making system images would be a better backup

2 USB drives? Modified files and images.

Full images as frequently as needed on a rotating basis, before / after
major patching / installs and just regular schedule for safety.

>choice. I do not know... Reinstalling all the software after a system crash
>may be a bit time consuming but it helps making sure there's no viruses or

It is, which is why I have PC as supplied from vendor image, my apps and
config image. Every so often it's worth doing restore from vendor and
make a new app image with the latest versions only.

>other nasty pieces of software residing in our computer.

That's the reqular checked and updated AV CD, a clean build and that
updates to latest AV/FW.

>> It's been a while but even an old version of Ghost (Explorer) lets you
>> restore individual files.
>>
>>>Paragon Drive Backup Personal.
>>>Acronis True Image Home.

>> Would usually go for either of those. Both product sites list the
>> features.

>Both those software suites seem quite feature packed and they seem to have
>many positive reviews all over the Internet.
>
>I may be wrong, but for what I've seen, it is easier to restore a system
>image than individual files with those programs. Am I right? I have not

Ghost easy either way.

>installed any of their 30-day trial offerings.

Acronis is data backup, haven't tried it for images.

<snip>

>So many choices plus all the different features to compare are appalling to

That's why I have Ghost, Acronis and WinRAR + batch files to do things.

>me. Are any of those software packages more likely to present
>incompatibilities with Windows Vista or Windows Seven? I read somewhere that

I would hope not, you can only keep checking the vendor / manufacturer
sites and search the newsgroups.

>some of those programs have software dependencies which may or may not pose
>a problem after an update which is something I do not fully grasp.

Such as? Of course that's a risk with any app having to install some MS
library or something.

missatge:Xns9C795B822F329xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1.. .

>> but it doesn't seem to be able to work with DVDs. Could you,
>> please, tell me if there is an Acronis version capable of making
>> backups of user selected files and being able to burn DVDs on the
>> Seagate website?

> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...ads/discwizard

Thank you for that link!

I already read the user's manual for this software (Seagate DiscWizard by
Acronis) where it seems to indicate that this software only backs up entire
partitions, but it lets restore single files. On the plus side it lets me
use DVDs for creating the disk image.

I also found out another tool called GFI Backup Home 2009 (
http://www.gfi.com/backup-hm/free-backup-software ) which lets me back up
selected files and folders -user data- and it's free to use. Which combined
with the Seagate's tool may prove a rather good, inexpensive, solution. I
have to try this software yet.

On the "commercial side" I found a couple tools made by Genie which look
rather intersting:

Genie Timeline (
http://www.genie-soft.com/products/g...e/default.html )
Genie Backup Manager Home v8.0 (
http://www.genie-soft.com/products/gbm/us/default.html )

Wao

"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> ha escrit al
missatge:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>>So many choices plus all the different features to compare are appalling

> That's why I have Ghost, Acronis and WinRAR + batch files to do things.

Thanks for all the input!

After a lot of "googling" I ended up with the conclusion that Acronis True
Image Home is the most preferred piece of backup software nowadays. Since
you own, both, Acronis and Norton Ghost which one do you prefer and why?

I realize that there are a lot of backup offerings so this is taking me a
while to pick one up. Sadly, I cannot afford more than one backup program.