Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ah, Ballmer...

Ah, Ballmer...

Nik Coughlin

news:h8ekmo$m2o$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <h89gcc$mbo$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Still waiting for this.

>> Several have tried, and failed.

> Any more want to challenge Linux for the title of best hardware-supported
> OS
> ever? Final award going once, going twice ...

The title as defined and appointed by... Lawrence D'Oliveiro. Very
meaningful.

You still haven't offered any solid proof for your claim, and, as you made
the claim, it is up to you to prove it and not up to us to disprove it.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <h8f14s$ej$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:h8ekmo$m2o$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Several have tried, and failed.

>> Any more want to challenge Linux for the title of best hardware-supported
>> OS
>> ever? Final award going once, going twice ...

> You still haven't offered any solid proof for your claim ...

My proof comes from the number of different people, yourself included, who
have tried, and failed, to refute it.

All it would take is for one to succeed. So far, none have.

QED.

Nik Coughlin

news:h8f5nk$mh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <h8f14s$ej$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:
>
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>> news:h8ekmo$m2o$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Any more want to challenge Linux for the title of best
>>> hardware-supported
>>> OS
>>> ever? Final award going once, going twice ...

>> You still haven't offered any solid proof for your claim ...

> My proof comes from the number of different people, yourself included, who
> have tried, and failed, to refute it.

I have neither tried nor failed Lawrence. We've been over this. Relating an
anecdote does not constitute either an attempt or a failure, however much
you'd like it to. Having the last word in a debate does not mean that you
have automatically won that debate. It is likely that the other person feels
like they're banging their head against a wall and has given up.

> All it would take is for one to succeed. So far, none have.
>
> QED.

That's a bizarre definition of proof, a nonstandard usage of QED, and you
still don't seem to understand the concept of burden of proof.

The burden of proof fallacy is often demonstrated using the statement "You
cannot prove that God does not exist, so He does."; this is a direct analogy
to your claim, which is that as we have not disproven your ridiculous
assertion, it must be true.

Note that I call your assertion ridiculous not because I think that one
position or the other is true and that you are therefore being ridiculous by
taking the opposite position, but that I think that your statement is not
trivially provable and that I therefore think that you are being ridiculous
in making such a strong assertion given the absence of said proof.

A proof would be using rigorous methodology to analyse the data available,
then reporting the conclusions drawn from this analysis. If you can point to
such a study, or even undertake it yourself, then I would be more than happy
to concede that you are being reasonable in making such a strong assertion.
Otherwise, you are dressing your subjective opinion up as fact, which is the
reason that I object to your assertion.

You made the statement; therefore the onus is on you to prove it. That
others may or may not have attempted to disprove you and may or may not have
failed is a moot point.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <h8f9o3$gh5$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:h8f5nk$mh$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> In message <h8f14s$ej$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:
>>
>>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>>> message news:h8ekmo$m2o$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> You still haven't offered any solid proof for your claim ...

>> My proof comes from the number of different people, yourself included,
>> who have tried, and failed, to refute it.

> I have neither tried nor failed Lawrence. We've been over this. Relating
> an anecdote does not constitute either an attempt or a failure...

Which you happened to mention for no reason whatsoever, nothing to do with
trying to answer my claim about how Linux has the best hardware support?

Yeah, keep on backpedalling, why don't you.

>> All it would take is for one to succeed. So far, none have.
>>
>> QED.

> That's a bizarre definition of proof ...

Based on the game as you have already played it. You and the others tried to
take up the challenge--showing you accepted the game as I presented it--and
failed. I don't need to prove what you have already accepted. QED.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <h89gcc$mbo$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <h7n1p5$t63$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <h7frhq$nda$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> Now, some citations are needed for devices that Windows supports, that
>>> Linux doesn't. Any volunteers?

>> Still waiting for this.

> Several have tried, and failed.

Let them speak now, or forever be kicking themselves up the bum!