Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Offsite JSP

Offsite JSP

Roedy Green

I have always encouraged people do download a mirror copy of my
website and keep it locally, for speed, local indexing, and for access
when my site in unavailable.

I also figured this would make it hard for one of my enemies to
destroy every last copy of my website.

However, if I start using JSP, the parts of the page generated with
JSP will just be gibberish if people read the unprocessed pages
offline.

I wondered what people do in this situation.

Is there a way to do markup so that you get a default display if the
page is not yet JSP-expanded? Must you periodically expand all web
pages with JSP and capture them for offsite reading?
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability,"
~ Edsger Wybe Dijkstra (born: 1930-05-11 died: 2002-08-06 at age: 72)

Qu0ll

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I also figured this would make it hard for one of my enemies to
> destroy every last copy of my website.

Are they that out to get you? Why?

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

Qu0ll

"Qu0ll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4a9a5d71$0$28362$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I also figured this would make it hard for one of my enemies to
>> destroy every last copy of my website.

> Are they that out to get you? Why?

Ah, I can see from the other thread that you have more than your fair share
of "anti-admirers".

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(E-Mail Removed)

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy Green wrote:
> I have always encouraged people do download a mirror copy of my
> website and keep it locally, for speed, local indexing, and for access
> when my site in unavailable.
>
> I also figured this would make it hard for one of my enemies to
> destroy every last copy of my website.
>
> However, if I start using JSP, the parts of the page generated with
> JSP will just be gibberish if people read the unprocessed pages
> offline.
>
> I wondered what people do in this situation.
>
> Is there a way to do markup so that you get a default display if the
> page is not yet JSP-expanded? Must you periodically expand all web
> pages with JSP and capture them for offsite reading?

If the web site is actually dynamic then the only solution
that makes sense is to have users download the war and deploy
it on their own servlet container (including running
SQL scripts to setup database).

If the web site is not dynamic then JSP is not the right
technology.

Arne

Roedy Green

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:07:28 +1000, "Qu0ll" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>Are they that out to get you? Why?

A number of reasons.
I strenuously oppose the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. I most definitely
do NOT support the troops. I explain why they are war criminals.
I think there was inside collusion in 9/11.
I oppose "religious ceremonies" that involve whale sacrifice
I am gay
I have HIV
I think our capitalist economic system needs some tweaking (I am a
heretic).
I gave general liberal values.
I sometimes wrote scathing comments about computer hardware and
software (not a problem now, but it was when I was a newspaper
columnist with much more clout).

If you are curious at some of the reaction to my writings see
http://mindprod.com/feedback/feedback.html
or the blogs
http://endtheiraqwar.blogspot.com/
http://911insidejob.blogspot.com/
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability,"
~ Edsger Wybe Dijkstra (born: 1930-05-11 died: 2002-08-06 at age: 72)

Qu0ll

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I strenuously oppose the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. I most definitely
> do NOT support the troops. I explain why they are war criminals.

I am not sure I would describe the troops as war criminals but you, me and
most of the world oppose the wars.

> I think there was inside collusion in 9/11.

So do many people. I don't have enough information to come to a conclusion
either way.

> I oppose "religious ceremonies" that involve whale sacrifice

Surely most people do too.

> I am gay

Does anyone really care about that? It's said that 10% of the world's
population are 100% heterosexual, 10% are 100% homosexual and everyone else
is somewhere in between.

> I have HIV

Well that's unfortunate but hardly a reason for people to attack you.

> I think our capitalist economic system needs some tweaking (I am a
> heretic).

Obviously it does need some tweaking!

> I gave general liberal values.

So do at least half of the population.

> I sometimes wrote scathing comments about computer hardware and
> software (not a problem now, but it was when I was a newspaper
> columnist with much more clout).

Thousands do exactly the same thing.

Overall, you sound like a typical human being. We are all different but
similar in so many ways. I don't see any reason why you should be attacked
in the way you describe from these reasons.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(E-Mail Removed)

Roedy Green

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:33:10 +0100, RedGrittyBrick
someone who said :

>> Is there a way to do markup so that you get a default display if the
>> page is not yet JSP-expanded? Must you periodically expand all web
>> pages with JSP and capture them for offsite reading?

>I don't understand that.

I have been pondering this as I fall asleep.

I need to distribute my site in three forms:

1. dynamic. The user just wants to read the page now on the browser.
He is not interested in how the page was constructed. All comments and
markup can be stripped. He just sees the final result of JSP
processing. The page can be compacted, squeezing out all unneeded
whitespace.

2. offsite reading. This is like 1, but updates arrive via the
Replicator. It will not be as dynamic. It only updates when the user
does an update fetch with the Replicator.

3. the original. This is the text I compose with, including comments,
static (pre-upload) macros and JSP markup. It is not directly readable
in a browser. I can optionally expand the static macros locally to
view them, but I would need a local JSP engine to view the JSP
expansions.

I think the way to do this will be to distribute the three forms like
this:

1. via a JSP server than works on HTML with pre-expanded macros for
non-time sensitive macros.

2. Perhaps twice a day expand the entire website with JSP and capture
the output, then untouch it to redate it back if it has not really
changed, then prepare a the Replicator updates. This not as good as
what I do now. Currently, the Replicator is always 100% up to date.
see http://mindprod.com/webstart.html#REPLICATOR
I can keep track of just which web pages need to be rebuilt. The
problem is JSP will change pages very frequently with trivial changes
that don't need to be tracked by the Replicator, e.g. quote of the
day. Perhaps my JSP can be clever and generate more stable HTML for
Replicator distribution.

3. distribute the raw markup in a Subversion repository, but so I can
more easily track changes, and so people can see how the web pages
were constructed, without the overhead of the scaffoldings being sent
out with every dynamic page.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability,"
~ Edsger Wybe Dijkstra (born: 1930-05-11 died: 2002-08-06 at age: 72)

Alessio Stalla

On Aug 31, 9:05*am, "Qu0ll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > I strenuously oppose the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. I most definitely
> > do NOT support the troops. I explain why they are war criminals.

> I am not sure I would describe the troops as war criminals but you, me and
> most of the world oppose the wars.
>
> > I think there was inside collusion in 9/11.

> So do many people. *I don't have enough information to come to a conclusion
> either way.
>
> > I oppose "religious ceremonies" that involve whale sacrifice

> Surely most people do too.
>
> > I am gay

> Does anyone really care about that? *It's said that 10% of the world's
> population are 100% heterosexual, 10% are 100% homosexual and everyone else
> is somewhere in between.
>
> > I have HIV

> Well that's unfortunate but hardly a reason for people to attack you.
>
> > I think our capitalist economic system needs some tweaking (I am a
> > heretic).

> Obviously it does need some tweaking!
>
> > I gave general liberal values.

> So do at least half of the population.
>
> > I sometimes wrote scathing comments about computer hardware and
> > software (not a problem now, but it was when I was a newspaper
> > columnist with much more clout).

> Thousands do exactly the same thing.
>
> Overall, you sound like a typical human being. *We are all different but
> similar in so many ways. *I don't see any reason why you should be attacked
> in the way you describe from these reasons.

He sounds like a sensible human being. Whether you consider that to be
"typical" or not may depend on your level of trust in the human race.
Mine is constantly dropping lately.

Apart from that, Roedy definitely has something which is not typical:
he writes freely about his convinctions on a public place which is
supposedly visited by many people. I think that is admirable, but
unfortunately it has the side effect of upsetting all kinds of random
people which are offended by those who dare to think differently.

Qu0ll

"Alessio Stalla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[...]

>> Overall, you sound like a typical human being. We are all different but
>> similar in so many ways. I don't see any reason why you should be
>> attacked
>> in the way you describe from these reasons.

> He sounds like a sensible human being. Whether you consider that to be
> "typical" or not may depend on your level of trust in the human race.
> Mine is constantly dropping lately.

I have a lot of faith in the human race despite the best efforts of a number
of people.

> Apart from that, Roedy definitely has something which is not typical:
> he writes freely about his convinctions on a public place which is
> supposedly visited by many people. I think that is admirable, but
> unfortunately it has the side effect of upsetting all kinds of random
> people which are offended by those who dare to think differently.

Ah yes, speaking out. Well, in the appropriate forum (and I stress that bit
Roedy!), speaking out should not incite the kind of responses Roedy was
describing. Having said that, there's a group of people whom react
violently to anyone who dares to declare an opinion different from theirs in
a public place. That's very unfortunate but I hope it doesn't discourage
people like Roedy from expressing their passionate views (in the appropriate
forum of course!).

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(E-Mail Removed)

Roedy Green

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:05:54 +1000, "Qu0ll" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> I oppose "religious ceremonies" that involve whale sacrifice

>Surely most people do too.

not the Makah in nearby Washington state. Most of them consider any
opposition to the killing as racism.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"People think of security as a noun, something you go buy. In reality, it’s an abstract concept like happiness. Openness is unbelievably helpful to security."
~ James Gosling (born: 1955-05-18 age: 54), inventor of Java.