Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > anyone else getting more popups lately?

anyone else getting more popups lately?

Trevor Smithson

I've noticed over the couple months or so that I've been getting more
popus when using Firefox. Not a big surge or anything but a definite
uptick. Anyone else noticed this? If so do you think sites are
employing sites more, are getting more effective at getting around the
built-in pop-up blocker, or what?

Any recommended extensions to improve FF's pop-up blocking?

johnn

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 14:16:13 -0500, Trevor Smithson <(E-Mail Removed)>informed me that

>I've noticed over the couple months or so that I've been getting more
>popus when using Firefox. Not a big surge or anything but a definite
>uptick. Anyone else noticed this? If so do you think sites are
>employing sites more, are getting more effective at getting around the
>built-in pop-up blocker, or what?
>
>Any recommended extensions to improve FF's pop-up blocking?

Can't speak for other people, obviously.
I have not noticed any increas - as a matter of fact, I don't get any pop-ups.
Every so often, though, there's a message at the top of the page telling me that Firefox has
prrevented a pop-up - I jusy say "thank you" and ignore that message.

_________________________
John
_________________________

"God is dead"
-- Nietzsche (1844-1900)
"Nietzsche is dead"
-- God

Jim Lahue

Trevor Smithson wrote:
> I've noticed over the couple months or so that I've been getting more
> popus when using Firefox. Not a big surge or anything but a definite
> uptick. Anyone else noticed this? If so do you think sites are
> employing sites more, are getting more effective at getting around the
> built-in pop-up blocker, or what?
>
> Any recommended extensions to improve FF's pop-up blocking?

I used NoScript and AdBlock Plus (FF 3.013) -- I never get pop-up
windows with that combination.

Jim Lahue

Trevor Smithson

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 15:46:30 -0800, Jim Lahue
<(E-Mail Removed)_SPAM.com> wrote:

>Trevor Smithson wrote:
>> I've noticed over the couple months or so that I've been getting more
>> popus when using Firefox. Not a big surge or anything but a definite
>> uptick. Anyone else noticed this? If so do you think sites are
>> employing sites more, are getting more effective at getting around the
>> built-in pop-up blocker, or what?
>>
>> Any recommended extensions to improve FF's pop-up blocking?

>I used NoScript and AdBlock Plus (FF 3.013) -- I never get pop-up
>windows with that combination.
>
>Jim Lahue

Thanks I use adblack already but will give noscript a go.

nimd4 nimd4 is offline
Junior Member
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahue
Trevor Smithson wrote:

The 4 that are needed, added from the homepage of that site ("Update automatically"):
  • EasyList (easylist.txt)
  • EasyPrivacy (easyprivacy.txt)
  • Adult/Dating Blocking (fanboy-adblocklist-adult.txt)
  • Rickroll Blacklist (ricklist.txt)
P.S. From the list above, fanboy.co.nz/ also has a nice Opera filter....