Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless Connected but Aps Won't Connect

Wireless Connected but Aps Won't Connect

Emory Richter

Using XP SP2,
my desktop connected to the modem and router
does connect to the internet.

Using XP SP2
on my IBM T43 laptop
I could previously reach the net
with a wireless connection.

Currently my
Wireless Network Connection info reads:

Speed: 54.0 Mbps
Signal Strength: Excellent

But my laptop browser, FTP, news and email aps
fail to get on the internet.

Repairing the Wireless Connection dosn't help.

There is no firewall.
Windows firewall is off
and ZoneAlarm has been uninstalled.

Using the wireless connection
how can I get on the web ?

VanguardLH

Emory Richter wrote:

> Using XP SP2,
> my desktop connected to the modem and router
> does connect to the internet.
>
> Using XP SP2
> on my IBM T43 laptop
> I could previously reach the net
> with a wireless connection.
>
> Currently my
> Wireless Network Connection info reads:
>
> Speed: 54.0 Mbps
> Signal Strength: Excellent
>
> But my laptop browser, FTP, news and email aps
> fail to get on the internet.
>
> Repairing the Wireless Connection dosn't help.
>
> There is no firewall.
> Windows firewall is off
> and ZoneAlarm has been uninstalled.
>
> Using the wireless connection
> how can I get on the web ?

"Does connect to the Internet". How do you know? Can you ping
www.yahoo.com? Can you telnet to your POP or SMTP mail host?

Can you use your web browser to open the web pages for your router's
admin screens (to configure it)? Can you ping or connect to the web
screens for your cable modem?

Emory Richter

In article <h7bur2$13b$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Emory Richter wrote:
>
> > Using XP SP2,
> > my desktop connected to the modem and router
> > does connect to the internet.
> >
> > Using XP SP2
> > on my IBM T43 laptop
> > I could previously reach the net
> > with a wireless connection.
> >
> > Currently my
> > Wireless Network Connection info reads:
> >
> > Speed: 54.0 Mbps
> > Signal Strength: Excellent
> >
> > But my laptop browser, FTP, news and email aps
> > fail to get on the internet.
> >
> > Repairing the Wireless Connection dosn't help.
> >
> > There is no firewall.
> > Windows firewall is off
> > and ZoneAlarm has been uninstalled.
> >
> > Using the wireless connection
> > how can I get on the web ?

> "Does connect to the Internet". How do you know? Can you ping
> www.yahoo.com? Can you telnet to your POP or SMTP mail host?
>
> Can you use your web browser to open the web pages for your router's
> admin screens (to configure it)? Can you ping or connect to the web
> screens for your cable modem?

VanguardLH tks for your response.

I can ping
yahoo.com
or
my Router IP
from my desktop which has the router connection
[Sent = 4, Received = 4]

but, from the notebook
with the wireless indicator light lit
and the info:

Speed: 54.0 Mbps
Signal Strength: Excellent

yahoo.com is unreachable
and
my Router IP is unreachable..
[Sent = 4, Received = 0]

Can you suggest what steps I could take
to get a wireless connection ?

Brian H供

richard wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:19:47 -0400, Emory Richter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>> "Does connect to the Internet". How do you know? Can you ping
>>> www.yahoo.com? Can you telnet to your POP or SMTP mail host?
>>>
>>> Can you use your web browser to open the web pages for your router's
>>> admin screens (to configure it)? Can you ping or connect to the web
>>> screens for your cable modem?
>>>

>>VanguardLH tks for your response.
>>
>>I can ping
>>yahoo.com
>>or
>>my Router IP
>>from my desktop which has the router connection
>>[Sent = 4, Received = 4]
>>
>>but, from the notebook
>>with the wireless indicator light lit
>>and the info:
>>
>>Speed: 54.0 Mbps
>>Signal Strength: Excellent
>>
>>yahoo.com is unreachable
>>and
>>my Router IP is unreachable..
>>[Sent = 4, Received = 0]
>>
>>Can you suggest what steps I could take
>>to get a wireless connection ?

> From what you say now, this sounds more like a router issue.
> if it is unreachable, then you need to look at it for your solution.
> Sorry, I don't do routers.

Duh, STFO

Brian H供

Brian H供 wrote in news:Xns9C76DE3F2C4C1briansomewhereoverth@69.16.17 6.253:

> Duh, STFO

State The F... Obvious

I feel thet RtS needed the clarification here

Aardvark

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 13:47:07 -0700, richard wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:19:47 -0400, Emory Richter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> "Does connect to the Internet". How do you know? Can you ping
>>> www.yahoo.com? Can you telnet to your POP or SMTP mail host?
>>>
>>> Can you use your web browser to open the web pages for your router's
>>> admin screens (to configure it)? Can you ping or connect to the web
>>> screens for your cable modem?
>>>

>>VanguardLH tks for your response.
>>
>>I can ping
>>yahoo.com
>>or
>>my Router IP
>>from my desktop which has the router connection [Sent = 4, Received = 4]
>>
>>but, from the notebook
>>with the wireless indicator light lit and the info:
>>
>>Speed: 54.0 Mbps
>>Signal Strength: Excellent
>>
>>yahoo.com is unreachable
>>and
>>my Router IP is unreachable..
>>[Sent = 4, Received = 0]
>>
>>Can you suggest what steps I could take to get a wireless connection ?

> From what you say now, this sounds more like a router issue. if it is
> unreachable, then you need to look at it for your solution. Sorry, I
> don't do routers.

You don't do much of anything, but you do sto0pid so well.

VanguardLH

Emory Richter wrote:

> In article <h7bur2$13b$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Emory Richter wrote:
>>
>>> Using XP SP2,
>>> my desktop connected to the modem and router
>>> does connect to the internet.
>>>
>>> Using XP SP2
>>> on my IBM T43 laptop
>>> I could previously reach the net
>>> with a wireless connection.
>>>
>>> Currently my
>>> Wireless Network Connection info reads:
>>>
>>> Speed: 54.0 Mbps
>>> Signal Strength: Excellent
>>>
>>> But my laptop browser, FTP, news and email aps
>>> fail to get on the internet.
>>>
>>> Repairing the Wireless Connection dosn't help.
>>>
>>> There is no firewall.
>>> Windows firewall is off
>>> and ZoneAlarm has been uninstalled.
>>>
>>> Using the wireless connection
>>> how can I get on the web ?

>> "Does connect to the Internet". How do you know? Can you ping
>> www.yahoo.com? Can you telnet to your POP or SMTP mail host?
>>
>> Can you use your web browser to open the web pages for your router's
>> admin screens (to configure it)? Can you ping or connect to the web
>> screens for your cable modem?
>>

> VanguardLH tks for your response.
>
> I can ping
> yahoo.com
> or
> my Router IP
> from my desktop which has the router connection
> [Sent = 4, Received = 4]
>
> but, from the notebook
> with the wireless indicator light lit
> and the info:
>
> Speed: 54.0 Mbps
> Signal Strength: Excellent
>
> yahoo.com is unreachable
> and
> my Router IP is unreachable..
> [Sent = 4, Received = 0]
>
> Can you suggest what steps I could take
> to get a wireless connection ?

I've used wireless very little. Perhaps you have security enabled (a
good thing) in the router and need to add the laptop to the MAC address
list of hosts that are allowed to connect to that router.