Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can connect to internet, but can't see other PCs on my network

Can connect to internet, but can't see other PCs on my network

Pete

I have a network at home with 3 wired PCs (all XP-Home) and 1 wireless
corporate laptop (XP-Pro). My old wireless router died in a lightning
strike. I installed a new SMC Barricade wireless router. To complicate
things, I've had my laptop re-imaged (reformatted and OS/apps re-installed).
Now I can surf the net, but I can't see the wired PCs from the wireless
laptop. My wired PCs can see each other without problem, but they can't see
the wireless laptop. The laptop can ping loopback 127.0.0.1 and the router,
and I can access the router admin program, but it can't ping the other PCs.
I uninstalled Norton Firewall from one of my PCs - and I'm still unable to
ping it.

The workgroup is the same on all machines, the channel is same on network
card and router, I have disabled router security and firewall, and I have
File and Print Sharing enabled.

After eliminating a bunch of possibilities, I decided to go buy a cheap UBS
wireless adapter & test it on my laptop. It works fine - I can see the rest
of my network with it. So that would lead me to believe my laptop's internal
network adapter has some setting that would be preventing me from seeing the
rest of my network.

Any suggestions where to look?

Thanks,

Pete

Clark

Have you checked what wireless security you might have in place?

If you use a wired connection for the laptop does it change anything?

Do you have the 802.1x security enabled?

Clark

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a network at home with 3 wired PCs (all XP-Home) and 1 wireless
> corporate laptop (XP-Pro). My old wireless router died in a lightning
> strike. I installed a new SMC Barricade wireless router. To complicate
> things, I've had my laptop re-imaged (reformatted and OS/apps
> re-installed).
> Now I can surf the net, but I can't see the wired PCs from the wireless
> laptop. My wired PCs can see each other without problem, but they can't
> see
> the wireless laptop. The laptop can ping loopback 127.0.0.1 and the
> router,
> and I can access the router admin program, but it can't ping the other
> PCs.
> I uninstalled Norton Firewall from one of my PCs - and I'm still unable to
> ping it.
>

> The workgroup is the same on all machines, the channel is same on network
> card and router, I have disabled router security and firewall, and I have
> File and Print Sharing enabled.
>

> After eliminating a bunch of possibilities, I decided to go buy a cheap
> UBS
> wireless adapter & test it on my laptop. It works fine - I can see the
> rest
> of my network with it. So that would lead me to believe my laptop's
> internal
> network adapter has some setting that would be preventing me from seeing
> the
> rest of my network.
>

> Any suggestions where to look?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Pete

Jack

Hi
Since you can surf via the Wireless computer your Wireless is OK.
Your problem thus as nothing to do with your Wireless it is a Sharing
problem.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a network at home with 3 wired PCs (all XP-Home) and 1 wireless
> corporate laptop (XP-Pro). My old wireless router died in a lightning
> strike. I installed a new SMC Barricade wireless router. To complicate
> things, I've had my laptop re-imaged (reformatted and OS/apps

re-installed).
> Now I can surf the net, but I can't see the wired PCs from the wireless
> laptop. My wired PCs can see each other without problem, but they can't

see
> the wireless laptop. The laptop can ping loopback 127.0.0.1 and the

router,
> and I can access the router admin program, but it can't ping the other

PCs.
> I uninstalled Norton Firewall from one of my PCs - and I'm still unable to
> ping it.
>

> The workgroup is the same on all machines, the channel is same on network
> card and router, I have disabled router security and firewall, and I have
> File and Print Sharing enabled.
>

> After eliminating a bunch of possibilities, I decided to go buy a cheap

UBS
> wireless adapter & test it on my laptop. It works fine - I can see the

rest
> of my network with it. So that would lead me to believe my laptop's

internal
> network adapter has some setting that would be preventing me from seeing

the
> rest of my network.
>

> Any suggestions where to look?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Pete

Clark

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx

Clark

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Since you can surf via the Wireless computer your Wireless is OK.
> Your problem thus as nothing to do with your Wireless it is a Sharing
> problem.
> May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a network at home with 3 wired PCs (all XP-Home) and 1 wireless
>> corporate laptop (XP-Pro). My old wireless router died in a lightning
>> strike. I installed a new SMC Barricade wireless router. To complicate
>> things, I've had my laptop re-imaged (reformatted and OS/apps

> re-installed).
>> Now I can surf the net, but I can't see the wired PCs from the wireless
>> laptop. My wired PCs can see each other without problem, but they can't

> see
>> the wireless laptop. The laptop can ping loopback 127.0.0.1 and the

> router,
>> and I can access the router admin program, but it can't ping the other

> PCs.
>> I uninstalled Norton Firewall from one of my PCs - and I'm still unable
>> ping it.
>>

>> The workgroup is the same on all machines, the channel is same on network
>> card and router, I have disabled router security and firewall, and I have
>> File and Print Sharing enabled.
>>

>> After eliminating a bunch of possibilities, I decided to go buy a cheap

> UBS
>> wireless adapter & test it on my laptop. It works fine - I can see the

> rest
>> of my network with it. So that would lead me to believe my laptop's

> internal
>> network adapter has some setting that would be preventing me from seeing

> the
>> rest of my network.
>>

>> Any suggestions where to look?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Pete

Pete

I don't have wireless security enabled.

A wired connection works fine.

"Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WE9Ce.483$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Have you checked what wireless security you might have in place?
>
> If you use a wired connection for the laptop does it change anything?
>
> Do you have the 802.1x security enabled?
>
> Clark
>
> "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a network at home with 3 wired PCs (all XP-Home) and 1 wireless
> > corporate laptop (XP-Pro). My old wireless router died in a lightning
> > strike. I installed a new SMC Barricade wireless router. To complicate
> > things, I've had my laptop re-imaged (reformatted and OS/apps
> > re-installed).
> > Now I can surf the net, but I can't see the wired PCs from the wireless
> > laptop. My wired PCs can see each other without problem, but they can't
> > see
> > the wireless laptop. The laptop can ping loopback 127.0.0.1 and the
> > router,
> > and I can access the router admin program, but it can't ping the other
> > PCs.
> > I uninstalled Norton Firewall from one of my PCs - and I'm still unable

> > ping it.
> >

> > The workgroup is the same on all machines, the channel is same on

network
> > card and router, I have disabled router security and firewall, and I

have
> > File and Print Sharing enabled.
> >

> > After eliminating a bunch of possibilities, I decided to go buy a cheap
> > UBS
> > wireless adapter & test it on my laptop. It works fine - I can see the
> > rest
> > of my network with it. So that would lead me to believe my laptop's
> > internal
> > network adapter has some setting that would be preventing me from seeing
> > the
> > rest of my network.
> >

> > Any suggestions where to look?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Pete

damballa damballa is offline
Junior Member

I have the exact problem listed above. Did anybody figure out a fix for this? This is a brand new PC with a new D-Link wireless card.

I can get to the internet fine. Can ping the gateway without issue. But cannot ping or connect to any other PC on the network. I can't even ping the IP address that was assigned to the new PC.

So... did anybody find a fix for this?

degsy degsy is offline
Junior Member

I had the same problem and resolved this by going to LAN Connection properties and uninstalling TC/IP rebooting and then re-installing TC/IP