Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Modules/packages by GvR?

Modules/packages by GvR?

gb345

Are there any Python-only modules or packages in the latest releases
of Python 2.x or Python 3.x that were largely written by Guido van
Rossum? What's the best way to find this out? I know that some
modules mention the author(s) in the source code, but this does
not seem to be true most of the time, as far as I can tell.

I'm interested in reading this code as prime examplars of "Pythonicity".
(I'm sure that many other programmers could serve as models of the
Pythonic ideal, but I doubt that there would be a *less debatable*
choice in this category than GvR.)

Many thanks in advance,

Gabe

Matimus

On Aug 28, 7:58*am, gb345 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Are there any Python-only modules or packages in the latest releases
> of Python 2.x or Python 3.x that were largely written by Guido van
> Rossum? *What's the best way to find this out? *I know that some
> modules mention the author(s) in the source code, but this does
> not seem to be true most of the time, as far as I can tell.
>
> I'm interested in reading this code as prime examplars of "Pythonicity".
> (I'm sure that many other programmers could serve as models of the
> Pythonic ideal, but I doubt that there would be a *less debatable*
> choice in this category than GvR.)
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Gabe

I'm sure there are. You might be able to figure that out by browsing
the source repository: http://hg.python.org. But, I wouldn't
necessarily say that any code written by Guido would make a good
example of 'Pythonic' code. Not that he doesn't create good code, but
the language and standards have evolved over time. There may be code
that he wrote from the 2.0 days that may have been perfectly
'Pythonic' then but is just out-of-date now.

In general though, browsing the standard modules is a good way to find
examples, no matter who wrote it. Just keep in mind when it was
written more than who wrote it.

Matt

Mark Lawrence

[fix top posting]

John Haggerty wrote:
> How is writing code like a language maintainer going to go towards a
> philosophic ideal? And more principally why would this be of a

benefit. In
> the philosophic world dressing and acting like Socrates isn't necessarily
> the same as following his ideals and isn't necessarily being Socratic.

So the poor old BDFL has been reduced to the rank of language
maintainer. Is it safe to assume that somebody is organising a whip
round for him? Any and all currencies accepted?

--
Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.

Terry Reedy

Matimus wrote:
> On Aug 28, 7:58 am, gb345 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Are there any Python-only modules or packages in the latest releases
>> of Python 2.x or Python 3.x that were largely written by Guido van
>> Rossum? What's the best way to find this out? I know that some
>> modules mention the author(s) in the source code, but this does
>> not seem to be true most of the time, as far as I can tell.
>>
>> I'm interested in reading this code as prime examplars of "Pythonicity".
>> (I'm sure that many other programmers could serve as models of the
>> Pythonic ideal, but I doubt that there would be a *less debatable*
>> choice in this category than GvR.)
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Gabe

> I'm sure there are. You might be able to figure that out by browsing
> the source repository: http://hg.python.org. But, I wouldn't
> necessarily say that any code written by Guido would make a good
> example of 'Pythonic' code. Not that he doesn't create good code, but
> the language and standards have evolved over time. There may be code
> that he wrote from the 2.0 days that may have been perfectly
> 'Pythonic' then but is just out-of-date now.

I am not aware of any recent stdlib modules written by Guido. I suspect
most older ones have been updated at least once by someone else.

> In general though, browsing the standard modules is a good way to find
> examples, no matter who wrote it. Just keep in mind when it was
> written more than who wrote it.

The itertools module is relatively recent and has been recommended as
one to read.

Benjamin Peterson

Terry Reedy <tjreedy <at> udel.edu> writes

> I am not aware of any recent stdlib modules written by Guido. I suspect
> most older ones have been updated at least once by someone else.

Guido wrote a good deal of the new Python 3 code. However, maintence has now
turned over to over Python developers. For example, I now maintain 2to3 and the
io library, both of which were originally written by Guido.

> > In general though, browsing the standard modules is a good way to find
> > examples, no matter who wrote it. Just keep in mind when it was
> > written more than who wrote it.

> The itertools module is relatively recent and has been recommended as
> one to read.

That probably don't do much good for your sense of Pythonicity, since it's
written in C.