Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connecting to public networks

Connecting to public networks

=?Utf-8?B?SmVubmlmZXI=?=

I have a HP ze5400 series Pavilion laptop with a built-in wireless card. At
home I use a Belkin wireless router with a Westfall DSL modem. I can connect
to the network and have no trouble accessing the internet. Until recently, I
had no problem connecting to different networks (i.e. in coffee shops,
airports, etc.) Now though, when I'm on the road, I have no trouble seeing
public networks and can connect to them without a problem. However, I cannot
access the internet from any of these public networks. I am running Windows
XP home with SP 2 and all updates and drivers are current. I have tried
reinstalling the OS, installing a new USB wireless adaptor etc., but no luck.
Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lbA==?=

Try checking your browser settings. Go to Tools->Internet Options Make sure
on connections, it uses the "LAN" settings to connect, proxies is not
selected. If you have the firewall running, check the settings to make sure
you are not blocking access to IE or to the network.