Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Q: What is the largest harddrive I can get for my Macbook?

Q: What is the largest harddrive I can get for my Macbook?

topraka@gmail.com

I have a friend who has a 15" Macbook pro intel core2duo with a
current harddrive of 120 GBs.

It has 2 G's of memory and is running 10.5.8.

She is planning to change the harddrive. What is the largest capacity
harddrive this computer can handle? Can it handle a 1TB harddrive?

Thanks

Bob Harris

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)
>,

> I have a friend who has a 15" Macbook pro intel core2duo with a
> current harddrive of 120 GBs.
>
> It has 2 G's of memory and is running 10.5.8.
>
> She is planning to change the harddrive. What is the largest capacity
> harddrive this computer can handle? Can it handle a 1TB harddrive?
>
> Thanks

I recently put a 2.5" 7200rpm 500GB Seagate SATA drive into my
MacBook (late 2006 manufacture).

Bob Harris

David Empson

Tim Lance <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:55:00 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote
> (in article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
> > I have a friend who has a 15" Macbook pro intel core2duo with a
> > current harddrive of 120 GBs.
> >
> > It has 2 G's of memory and is running 10.5.8.
> >
> > She is planning to change the harddrive. What is the largest capacity
> > harddrive this computer can handle? Can it handle a 1TB harddrive?

> I've put some WesternDigital 320 B drives into both MBs and MBPs. The Hitachi
> 500 B is too thick. I know of no 1 TB laptop drives, not that I've been
> paying much attention.

Someone recently announced a 1 TB 2.5" drive (Western Digital, I think),
but it is 12 mm thick, too thick to fit in a MacBook Pro.

The highest capacity/speed drive currently available which fits in a
MacBook Pro (maximum thickness 9 mm) is 500 GB and 7200 rpm. Not sure
which brands are thin enough, but there is at least one Seagate model.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

ToprakA

On Aug 26, 10:08*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
> Tim Lance <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:55:00 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote
> > (in article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> > > I have a friend who has a 15" Macbook pro *intel core2duo with a
> > > current harddrive of 120 GBs.

> > > It has 2 G's of memory and is running 10.5.8.

> > > She is planning to change the harddrive. What is the largest capacity
> > > harddrive this computer can handle? *Can it handle a 1TB harddrive?

> > I've put some WesternDigital 320 B drives into both MBs and MBPs. The Hitachi
> > 500 B is too thick. I know of no 1 TB laptop drives, not that I've been
> > paying much attention.

> Someone recently announced a 1 TB 2.5" drive (Western Digital, I think),
> but it is 12 mm thick, too thick to fit in a MacBook Pro.
>
> The highest capacity/speed drive currently available which fits in a
> MacBook Pro (maximum thickness 9 mm) is 500 GB and 7200 rpm. Not sure
> which brands are thin enough, but there is at least one Seagate model.
>
> --
> David Empson
> (E-Mail Removed)

So, other than size limitations, there is no limitatio from the O/S
end?

Thanks

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
ToprakA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So, other than size limitations, there is no limitatio from the O/S
> end?

none. the only limitation is that it must have a sata interface and be
9.5 mm thick so that it physically fits inside the laptop. as far as
the operating system is concerned, the capacity limit is *far* bigger
than any drive you'll see any time soon.

Timothy Mathews

On 27/08/09 12:00 AM, Bob Harris wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)
>> ,

> "(E-Mail Removed)"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a friend who has a 15" Macbook pro intel core2duo with a
>> current harddrive of 120 GBs.
>>
>> It has 2 G's of memory and is running 10.5.8.
>>
>> She is planning to change the harddrive. What is the largest capacity
>> harddrive this computer can handle? Can it handle a 1TB harddrive?
>>
>> Thanks

> I recently put a 2.5" 7200rpm 500GB Seagate SATA drive into my
> MacBook (late 2006 manufacture).
>
> Bob Harris

I put a Fujitsu 500 gigger in my 13" Macbook Pro