Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Heads Up....IE8 on Win XP

Heads Up....IE8 on Win XP

olfart

Windows update is installing IE8 on Windows XP today. So if you don't want
it make sure you block it

joevan

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:01:33 +0100, "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost>
wrote:

>"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Windows update is installing IE8 on Windows XP today. So if you don't want
>> it make sure you block it

>Odd, I'm sure I've had IE8 on my XP box for quite a while. Can't say I've
>had any issues with it, and I prefer it to IE 7, so unless you have a good
>reason to block it I'd let it install.

Same here, I don't see a problem. I is on my xp machine downstairs and
on this vista machine here in my front room.

olfart

"joevan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:01:33 +0100, "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost>
> wrote:
>
>>"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Windows update is installing IE8 on Windows XP today. So if you don't
>>> want
>>> it make sure you block it

>>Odd, I'm sure I've had IE8 on my XP box for quite a while. Can't say I've
>>had any issues with it, and I prefer it to IE 7, so unless you have a good
>>reason to block it I'd let it install.

> Same here, I don't see a problem. I is on my xp machine downstairs and
> on this vista machine here in my front room.

it may be OK, however I have seen a few posts where trying to uninstall it
has caused some problems so thought I'd mention it for those who are
satisfied with IE7.....as I am at least for now

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed) "Brian Cryer"
<not.here@localhost> wrote:

> "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Windows update is installing IE8 on Windows XP today. So if you don't
>> want it make sure you block it

> Odd, I'm sure I've had IE8 on my XP box for quite a while. Can't say
> I've had any issues with it, and I prefer it to IE 7, so unless you
> have a good reason to block it I'd let it install.

Many people don't use any version of IE and don't want to be bothered
installing another piece of software they won't use.

Avoiding unpleasant side-effects is an additional benefit to not
grabbing every new release that comes along. There's an unfortunate
history of MS modifying other internal pieces of Windows as new versions
or patches to IE came along.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Fuzzy Logic

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "joevan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:01:33 +0100, "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>>Odd, I'm sure I've had IE8 on my XP box for quite a while. Can't say I've
>>>had any issues with it, and I prefer it to IE 7, so unless you have a good
>>>reason to block it I'd let it install.

>> Same here, I don't see a problem. I is on my xp machine downstairs and
>> on this vista machine here in my front room.

> it may be OK, however I have seen a few posts where trying to uninstall it
> has caused some problems so thought I'd mention it for those who are
> satisfied with IE7.....as I am at least for now

Considering the near infinite combination of hardware and software not to mention malware on systems there
are bound to be a few problems. Unfortunately newsgroups/blogs/forums tend to emphasize the problems but
the reality is most people have updated without issue and there are some very nice features IMO in IE8.

MELBIN MATHEW

Hi,

Upgrading to Internet Explorer 8 will give you,

CSS Support

Internet Explorer 8 fully supports CSS 2.1 and more of CSS 3.

HTML and DOM Support

Internet Explorer 8 has improved support for HTML 4.01 and 5, also for
DOM 2 and 3.

Compatibility

In terms of compatibility between Internet Explorer 7 and Internet
Explorer 8, this area will cause you the most problems. Some objects
you used with Internet Explorer 7 have changed to work according the
various standards specifications. In other words, some methods,
properties, and so on that worked in a non-standard way in Internet
Explorer 7 now comply with standards in Internet Explorer 8.

Better AJAX Support

Internet Explorer 8 more easily supports backward navigation of page
fragments. It provides better communication between pages, frames,
sites, and domains.

Developer Tools Built In

You may have used downloaded and used the Internet Explorer Developer
Toolbar.

Accelerators

You can make your Web services available to users as Accelerators.
Users can add Accelerators to Internet Explorer 8 and use them
anywhere they browse.

Web Slices

Like an RSS feed, you can set up portions of your Web pages that
contain frequently updated information as Web Slices for your users.

Search Suggestions

Internet Explorer 8 has improved the search experience for end users.
Many search engines offer search suggestions as users type.

Cheers!
Melbin Mathew
www.talk2melbin.com

VanguardLH

olfart wrote:

> Windows update is installing IE8 on Windows XP today. So if you don't want
> it make sure you block it

And that's a totally covert install? That is, there are no prompts for
you to download AND install the "update"? You could block (Microsoft
already provides a program to do that), you could update your WU list at
the site (to never prod you again regarding that update), you could turn
off the AU service or configure it to only check when YOU decide to
manually check for an update, or you could just say No.