Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Word 2000 question

Word 2000 question

Dave C.

This question is about inserting "page X of Y" into the footer of a
multi-page document.

When I open the "footer" then to "Insert Auto Text" then select "Page
X of Y," I would expect the printout of a 6 page document to be Page 1
of 6, Page 2 of 6, and so forth.

Well, the printout comes out as Page 1 of 1, Page 2 of 2, Page 3 of 3,
and so fourth.

The Print Preview shows it correctly, but the printeed output comes
out as I just mentioned.

I can't figure it out. I re-installed the driver (HP Deskjet 6980) to
no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave C.

Ragnar

"Dave C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This question is about inserting "page X of Y" into the footer of a
> multi-page document.
>
> When I open the "footer" then to "Insert Auto Text" then select "Page
> X of Y," I would expect the printout of a 6 page document to be Page 1
> of 6, Page 2 of 6, and so forth.
>
> Well, the printout comes out as Page 1 of 1, Page 2 of 2, Page 3 of 3,
> and so fourth.
>
> The Print Preview shows it correctly, but the printeed output comes
> out as I just mentioned.
>
> I can't figure it out. I re-installed the driver (HP Deskjet 6980) to
> no avail.
>
> Any ideas?

Word has entered "Page <page number> of <page number>" instead of "Page
<page number> of <number of pages>" . I'm sure this is a known bug and I
don't know how to fix it but you can correct it manually :
On the Header and Footer toolbar <page number> is marked with a # symbol,
and <number of pages> with a ++ symbol. Delete the second entry and replace
it by clicking the correct icon.
HTH
R.

Dave C.

On Aug 26, 4:12*am, "Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Dave C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > This question is about inserting "page X of Y" *into the footer of a
> > multi-page document.

> > When I open the "footer" then to "Insert Auto Text" then select "Page
> > X of Y," I would expect the printout of a 6 page document to be Page 1
> > of 6, Page 2 of 6, and so forth.

> > Well, the printout comes out as Page 1 of 1, Page 2 of 2, Page 3 of 3,
> > and so fourth.

> > The Print Preview shows it correctly, but the printeed output comes
> > out as I just mentioned.

> > I can't figure it out. *I re-installed the driver (HP Deskjet 6980) to
> > no avail.

> > Any ideas?

> Word has entered "Page <page number> of <page number>" instead of "Page
> <page number> of <number of pages>" . I'm sure this is a known bug and I
> don't know how to fix it but you can correct it manually :
> On the Header and Footer toolbar <page number> is marked with a # symbol,
> and <number of pages> with a *++ symbol. Delete the second entry and replace
> it by clicking the correct icon.
> HTH
> R.- Hide quoted text -

That's a perfect workaround....very easy. It was a minor problem but
annoying.

Thanks for taking the the time.

Dave C.