Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Skype and 100% cpu usage on video call

Skype and 100% cpu usage on video call

LP

Voice only is faultless with first class sound
quality. With a video call - bro in Oz - the
video freezes and sound quality drops away quite
significantly.

I was using my notebook (an 'ancient Sony PCG
FR415b) with a 2.8MHz celeron cpu and 512Mb shared
ram (graphics card) on a 3 s2 skypephone (used as
a modem) capable of a 115 kbps broadband
connection. OS is win XP with SP2 and skype
software is version 4.1.60.145 downloaded within
the last week.

With Task Manager open, I could see that it was
the application 'skype.exe' hogging the cpu (95 -
100%). Since calling my brother I've upgraded the
memory to 1024Mb (play.com was offering 512Mb
SODIMM's for a splendid 12.99 delivered).

I've spent a lot of time searching the web, and
haven't so far found an obvious solution. Does
anyone know if this is a hardware or software problem?

Nick

"LP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Voice only is faultless with first class sound
> quality. With a video call - bro in Oz - the
> video freezes and sound quality drops away quite
> significantly.
>
> I was using my notebook (an 'ancient Sony PCG
> FR415b) with a 2.8MHz celeron cpu and 512Mb shared
> ram (graphics card) on a 3 s2 skypephone (used as
> a modem) capable of a 115 kbps broadband
> connection. OS is win XP with SP2 and skype
> software is version 4.1.60.145 downloaded within
> the last week.
>
> With Task Manager open, I could see that it was
> the application 'skype.exe' hogging the cpu (95 -
> 100%). Since calling my brother I've upgraded the
> memory to 1024Mb (play.com was offering 512Mb
> SODIMM's for a splendid 12.99 delivered).
>
> I've spent a lot of time searching the web, and
> haven't so far found an obvious solution. Does
> anyone know if this is a hardware or software problem?

It's your connection that's causing the problem.

David Postill

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, on Tue, 25 Aug 2009
19:14:51 +0100, LP wrote:

| Voice only is faultless with first class sound
| quality. With a video call - bro in Oz - the
| video freezes and sound quality drops away quite
| significantly.
|
| I was using my notebook (an 'ancient Sony PCG
| FR415b) with a 2.8MHz celeron cpu and 512Mb shared
| ram (graphics card) on a 3 s2 skypephone (used as
| a modem) capable of a 115 kbps broadband
| connection. OS is win XP with SP2 and skype
| software is version 4.1.60.145 downloaded within
| the last week.

Skype recommends a 512/256kbit (down/up) broadband internet connection.

Your connection is a) only 115Kbps (maximum?), and b) not a broadband
connection.

--
David Postill
Dance your Life - Biodanza in Holland - <http://www.danceyourlife.eu>

LP

LP wrote:
> Voice only is faultless with first class sound quality. With a video
> call - bro in Oz - the video freezes and sound quality drops away quite
> significantly.
>
> I was using my notebook (an 'ancient Sony PCG FR415b) with a 2.8MHz
> celeron cpu and 512Mb shared ram (graphics card) on a 3 s2 skypephone
> (used as a modem) capable of a 115 kbps broadband connection. OS is win
> XP with SP2 and skype software is version 4.1.60.145 downloaded within
> the last week.
>
> With Task Manager open, I could see that it was the application
> 'skype.exe' hogging the cpu (95 - 100%). Since calling my brother I've
> upgraded the memory to 1024Mb (play.com was offering 512Mb SODIMM's for
> a splendid 12.99 delivered).
>
> I've spent a lot of time searching the web, and haven't so far found an
> obvious solution. Does anyone know if this is a hardware or software
> problem?

Looks like I've mis-quoted my connection speed.
It should read 1150kbps or just about 1MB.

Tried again last night with the 1GB memory and
it's just not happening; video freezes after not
much more than 5s.