Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > asp.net automatically perform action based on a date

asp.net automatically perform action based on a date

CoX

I am currently doing an assignment for my scripting module at
univercity.
The project is to create an auction site (I've just based mine on
ebay) in asp.net using vb.

One of the "extra mark" sections is that the auctions should
automatically end
on a certain date and time.

Is there a way to do this other than having a web page permenantly
open, that refreshes itself and sets the bid status to closed???

Cheers

CoX

Hermit Dave

well auction sites have their own engines... and they are responsible for
marking the auctions as closed.
having a permanent page open which keeps refreshing isnt the most ideal
solution....

write a seperate app which will monitor the currently live auctions and
their closures... and use that app (not a web app) to mark them as closed

hth

--
Regards,

HD

"CoX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am currently doing an assignment for my scripting module at
> univercity.
> The project is to create an auction site (I've just based mine on
> ebay) in asp.net using vb.
>
> One of the "extra mark" sections is that the auctions should
> automatically end
> on a certain date and time.
>
> Is there a way to do this other than having a web page permenantly
> open, that refreshes itself and sets the bid status to closed???
>
> Cheers
>
> CoX

Nick

There are two ways to do this that are relativly easy. One is to create a
Windows Service that monitors the auctions and ends them on a specific time.
Another method is to use Triggers or timed events on the SQL side to end an
auction either way will help you out.

Away to simulate this is to add a end date to the database and if somebody
tries to access the auction after that date just throw and error or display
that the auction has been ended. But this isn't good if you need to send a
response to somebody on the end date of the auction.

"CoX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am currently doing an assignment for my scripting module at
> univercity.
> The project is to create an auction site (I've just based mine on
> ebay) in asp.net using vb.
>
> One of the "extra mark" sections is that the auctions should
> automatically end
> on a certain date and time.
>
> Is there a way to do this other than having a web page permenantly
> open, that refreshes itself and sets the bid status to closed???
>
> Cheers
>
> CoX

Nick

One more suggestion. You can always use the Cache method where when the
cache times out a set event gets used. This happens in the back ground and
nobody has to access the page so this may work for you. Such as cache a
string with the id in it and when the cache times out, which you will set as
the auction end date the event gets launched and in the event you do what
ever you need to do. This is memory costly but for a school project it will
accomplish the goal with minimal programming.