Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python memory management <-> virtualized server environments

Python memory management <-> virtualized server environments

gravityzoo-dmo

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience in running
Python in a virtualized server environment?
The reason I'm asking is the recent thing I noticed when running my
server application (written in Python + Twisted);
The memory of the server application seems to only grow, and not give
back memory space to the OS. I realize that this won't be a problem on
a single physical server, but I'm curious of the effect this behaviour
has on a virtualized environment.
Could anyone provide me with a little more insight please?
Thanks in advance!

Dirk

gravityzoo-dmo

On 24 aug, 20:35, "Martin P. Hellwig" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> gravityzoo-dmo wrote:
> > Hello everyone,

> > I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience in running
> > Python in a virtualized server environment?
> > The reason I'm asking is the recent thing I noticed when running my
> > server application (written in Python + Twisted);
> > The memory of the server application seems to only grow, and not give
> > back memory space to the OS. I realize that this won't be a problem on
> > a single physical server, but I'm curious of the effect this behaviour
> > has on a virtualized environment.
> > Could anyone provide me with a little more insight please?
> > Thanks in advance!

> > Dirk

> Might help if you say which version of Python you are running, although
> I'm not a memory expert I do know there have been some changes between
> the versions.
>
> --
> MPHhttp://blog.dcuktec.com
> 'If consumed, best digested with added seasoning to own preference.'

Hi, I'm sorry, I forgot to post the version indeed.

The Python version I'm running is 2.5.2 (r252:60911, January 4 2009)
The Twisted version I'm running is 8.2.0, and I'm using the EPOLL-
Reactor (don't know if that matters)
The OS I'm running on is Debian version 2.6.26-2-686 (i686 GNU/Linux)

Is that enough info?

Best regards,
Dirk

Virtualized Windows XP coming to Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate users Dave Doe NZ Computing 5 04-27-2009 03:57 AM
Virtualized VPN Chris White MCSE 2 01-29-2009 06:02 PM
Memory Allocation in low RAM environments John Snowdon Ruby 1 03-01-2008 07:26 PM
How to handle memory allocation i shared hosting environments? (GC.Collect) jdlwright@gmail.com ASP .Net 3 06-13-2006 05:36 PM
Server.Execute doesn't work properly in all environments Jeff Robichaud ASP .Net 0 03-07-2006 02:47 PM

Advertisments