Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Thomson wireless modem on Win98SE

Thomson wireless modem on Win98SE

Matty F

I have a D-Link DSL-302G modem running fine on Wn98SE. Is it possible
that a Thomson wireless modem tg585v7 will run on Win98SE via a cable?
On the box it says Windows 2000 XP, Vista.
I don't think this computer is big enough to run XP and I'd rather not
buy another yet just for this reason.
I will sometimes have a laptop using wireless.

Fred the Fish

Matty F wrote:

> I have a D-Link DSL-302G modem running fine on Wn98SE. Is it possible
> that a Thomson wireless modem tg585v7 will run on Win98SE via a cable?
> On the box it says Windows 2000 XP, Vista.
> I don't think this computer is big enough to run XP and I'd rather not
> buy another yet just for this reason.
> I will sometimes have a laptop using wireless.

The Thompson modem/router cares not what you run.
Just plug it in to the ethernet port and go.

The Win2k, XP etc. on the box is just for the bundle of crap on the CD that
you really should avoid at all costs.

Kiwiboy

On 24 Aug, 22:25, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a D-Link DSL-302G modem running fine on Wn98SE. Is it possible
> that a Thomson wireless modem tg585v7 will run on Win98SE via a cable?
> On the box it says Windows 2000 XP, Vista.
> I don't think this computer is big enough to run XP and I'd rather not
> buy another yet just for this reason.
> I will sometimes have a laptop using wireless.

It sure does - I have used a Win 98 machine with it
Cheers

Matty F

On Aug 25, 2:36 pm, Kiwiboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 24 Aug, 22:25, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have a D-Link DSL-302G modem running fine on Wn98SE. Is it possible
> > that a Thomson wireless modem tg585v7 will run on Win98SE via a cable?
> > On the box it says Windows 2000 XP, Vista.
> > I don't think this computer is big enough to run XP and I'd rather not
> > buy another yet just for this reason.
> > I will sometimes have a laptop using wireless.

> It sure does - I have used a Win 98 machine with it

How do I put a password in to stop others using my bandwidth, unless I
install something on my Win98 machine?

Richard

Matty F wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2:36 pm, Kiwiboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 24 Aug, 22:25, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a D-Link DSL-302G modem running fine on Wn98SE. Is it possible
>>> that a Thomson wireless modem tg585v7 will run on Win98SE via a cable?
>>> On the box it says Windows 2000 XP, Vista.
>>> I don't think this computer is big enough to run XP and I'd rather not
>>> buy another yet just for this reason.
>>> I will sometimes have a laptop using wireless.

>> It sure does - I have used a Win 98 machine with it

> How do I put a password in to stop others using my bandwidth, unless I
> install something on my Win98 machine?

Same as every other router - you use its web interface to enter a long
alphnumeric key in the field and set it to WPA2 - and set your computer
up the same.

If your obsolete operating system doesnt support WPA2 then you can back
down to WEP which it will support, but that is pretty trivial to crack.
It will keep the neighbors kids off it tho.

EMB

Matty F wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2:36 pm, Kiwiboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 24 Aug, 22:25, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a D-Link DSL-302G modem running fine on Wn98SE. Is it possible
>>> that a Thomson wireless modem tg585v7 will run on Win98SE via a cable?
>>> On the box it says Windows 2000 XP, Vista.
>>> I don't think this computer is big enough to run XP and I'd rather not
>>> buy another yet just for this reason.
>>> I will sometimes have a laptop using wireless.

>> It sure does - I have used a Win 98 machine with it

> How do I put a password in to stop others using my bandwidth, unless I
> install something on my Win98 machine?

The wireless part that needs a WPA key (password) is completely seperate
to the wired (ie connected by cable) part. You do not need any password
on the cable connected Win98 Machine.

As for the wireless side, you need to enable WPA or WPA2 encryption and
pick a suitably unguessable password. Something like the names of your
kids separated by various symbols would probably be ok.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <h70ehf$jre$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> Matty F wrote:
>
>> How do I put a password in to stop others using my bandwidth ...

> Same as every other router - you use its web interface to enter a long
> alphnumeric key in the field and set it to WPA2 ...

Make sure you use AES encryption, not TKIP.

Dave Doe

In article <h70hkr$rvi$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Matty F wrote:

> >> It sure does - I have used a Win 98 machine with it

> > How do I put a password in to stop others using my bandwidth, unless I
> > install something on my Win98 machine?

> The wireless part that needs a WPA key (password) is completely seperate
> to the wired (ie connected by cable) part. You do not need any password
> on the cable connected Win98 Machine.
>
> As for the wireless side, you need to enable WPA or WPA2 encryption and
> pick a suitably unguessable password. Something like the names of your
> kids separated by various symbols would probably be ok.

I use a phrase (any ol' sentence) - taking the first character of each
word. And the (example only) I commonly use is:
The News starts at 6 O'clock
which gives a password of: TNs@6O'c (8 chars)

That makes an great logon password. But for WPA/WPA2 passwords, I
recommend the entire phrase (obviously, a different one from the logon).
The reason is that a logon password (which I think a minimum of 7 chars
is ok), is not anywhere near long enough for a wireless password.

These are easy to remember.

So (using the same example (not recommemded)), the wirless password
could be:
TheNewsStarts@6O'clockandisoneveryday (37 chars)

As to the OP's question about security on the Win98 PC that is wired.
Well, that's where the logon password comes into effect (lock the PC
when yer away from it, or logoff).

--
Duncan