Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best Linux Distributions, Software for Photo Processing?

Best Linux Distributions, Software for Photo Processing?

john.valceanu@gmail.com

Someone mentioned switching to Linux OS to avoid Windows problems. I
am running both Apple and Windows PCs, and I generally use Photoshop
and sometimes Adobe Bridge. I am, however, intrigued by Linux and
interested in checking it out.

Does anyone have any thoughts about which Linux distribution would
work best? I'm looking at Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Also, what software
is available? Is there support for scanners? I've got an older Epson
I'd like to keep using.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,

John Valceanu

Chris H

In message <(E-Mail Removed)
s.com>, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Someone mentioned switching to Linux OS to avoid Windows problems. I
>am running both Apple and Windows PCs, and I generally use Photoshop
>and sometimes Adobe Bridge. I am, however, intrigued by Linux and
>interested in checking it out.
>
>Does anyone have any thoughts about which Linux distribution would
>work best? I'm looking at Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Also, what software
>is available? Is there support for scanners? I've got an older Epson
>I'd like to keep using.
>
>I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

This must be a troll.....

read the 200+ post is the thread suggestions for a new PC.

Unfortunately the linux crowd are full of fud and religion.

Have a look at their champion photo editing SW, GIMP, it is available
for PC and Mac... that is as good as it gets. Their other suggestions
are to run Linux with a windows emulator so you can run some reasonable
programs.

Linux is a pale imitation of the UNIX running on your MAC Id you really
want to try a linux environment boot into the single user mode on the
mac, is UNIX and you will get some idea.

Linux has several GUIS you can use, none are up to the standard of OSX

ray

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:17:18 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Someone mentioned switching to Linux OS to avoid Windows problems. I am
> running both Apple and Windows PCs, and I generally use Photoshop and
> sometimes Adobe Bridge. I am, however, intrigued by Linux and interested
> in checking it out.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts about which Linux distribution would work
> best? I'm looking at Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Also, what software is
> available? Is there support for scanners? I've got an older Epson I'd
> like to keep using.
>
> I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Valceanu

Should not make any real difference which distribution you choose, but I
would suggest trying a Live CD of whatever you're interested in first -
to see if there might be any problematic hardware. The Linux
distributions differ mainly in package management, desktop selections and
preloaded apps. My own personal preference is for the Debian Package
Management System - it simply works more cleanly for me than RedHat
Package Management. I tend, for that reason, to prefer either Debian
itself or one of the Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu.

Software will include Open Source products for most anything you could
imagine - GIMP and OpenOffice, for example, are usually included in the
default install. I'd suggest trying garden variety Ubuntu with the Gnome
desktop environment. If you simply must have KDE, it seems marginally
better to install Ubuntu and then add the KDE desktop environment rather
than to install Kubuntu.

Support for scanners is generally fairly good - especially for HP and
Epson scanners. You may need to get the 'iscan' package from avasys.jp
for your Epson scanner.

If you're processing raw images, I like ufraw - there are several other
packages, as well - generally based on the dcraw conversion utility.

John Valceanu

Thanks, to both of you. I'm not a troll, just curious about Linux. I'm
not planning to abandon my beloved Macs or the Windows PCs I have to
use for work. I'm just looking to explore alternatives, probably more
out of intellectual curiosity than anything. I've run OpenOffice on
both Windows and Apple OS, but I didn't know GIMP was available for
those platforms. I'll check it out.

I've noticed that in the photo work I do, I tend to have no need for
the vast bulk of Photoshop's more advanced pictures, so I may be able
to make do with a less sophicsticated program. Thanks again,

John Valceanu

On Aug 23, 3:06*pm, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:17:18 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Someone mentioned switching to Linux OS to avoid Windows problems. I am
> > running both Apple and Windows PCs, and I generally use Photoshop and
> > sometimes Adobe Bridge. I am, however, intrigued by Linux and interested
> > in checking it out.

> > Does anyone have any thoughts about which Linux distribution would work
> > best? I'm looking at Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Also, what software is
> > available? Is there support for scanners? I've got an older Epson I'd
> > like to keep using.

> > I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

> > Thanks,

> > John Valceanu

> Should not make any real difference which distribution you choose, but I
> would suggest trying a Live CD of whatever you're interested in first -
> to see if there might be any problematic hardware. The Linux
> distributions differ mainly in package management, desktop selections and
> preloaded apps. My own personal preference is for the Debian Package
> Management System - it simply works more cleanly for me than RedHat
> Package Management. I tend, for that reason, to prefer either Debian
> itself or one of the Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu.
>
> Software will include Open Source products for most anything you could
> imagine - GIMP and OpenOffice, for example, are usually included in the
> default install. I'd suggest trying garden variety Ubuntu with the Gnome
> desktop environment. If you simply must have KDE, it seems marginally
> better to install Ubuntu and then add the KDE desktop environment rather
> than to install Kubuntu.
>
> Support for scanners is generally fairly good - especially for HP and
> Epson scanners. You may need to get the 'iscan' package from avasys.jp
> for your Epson scanner.
>
> If you're processing raw images, I like ufraw - there are several other
> packages, as well - generally based on the dcraw conversion utility.

Frédérique & Hervé Sainct

I second trying with a liveCD.
I for one am using macs at home, including a MBP for general travel, but
indeed I successfully switched to a much smaller MSI Wind laptop with
Ubuntu then Mandriva on it.
There are plenty of easily installable photo-related packages, from
database handling to raw processing to site uploaders, most of them with
definitely good GUIs.
Consider you'll spend various hours in trying what's best for you.
Also, remember most "cheap laptops" like my MSI are less reliable
hardware than Apple's -don't be surprised if like me your trackpad just
fails 6 monthe after buying. But nowadays, you can just bacup all your
photos on a single USB key...

H.
--
Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, (E-Mail Removed) [fr,es,en,it]
Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address

ray

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 12:34:33 -0700, John Valceanu wrote:

> Thanks, to both of you. I'm not a troll, just curious about Linux. I'm
> not planning to abandon my beloved Macs or the Windows PCs I have to use
> for work. I'm just looking to explore alternatives, probably more out of
> intellectual curiosity than anything. I've run OpenOffice on both
> Windows and Apple OS, but I didn't know GIMP was available for those
> platforms. I'll check it out.
>
> I've noticed that in the photo work I do, I tend to have no need for the
> vast bulk of Photoshop's more advanced pictures, so I may be able to
> make do with a less sophicsticated program. Thanks again,
>
> John Valceanu

You're entirely welcome. I hope the experience is a pleasant one for you
- but ultimately, of course, the choice is yours. If you want a little
help, you might try some Linux newsgroups - alt.os.linux.ubuntu would
probably be appropriate. In my experience, Linux is no more difficult
than MS - it's just a little different. We've put Linux on 13 of 14
public access internet computers at the local library and no one has had
any difficulty - most patrons are not aware there's any difference.

> On Aug 23, 3:06Â*pm, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:17:18 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> > Someone mentioned switching to Linux OS to avoid Windows problems. I
>> > am running both Apple and Windows PCs, and I generally use Photoshop
>> > and sometimes Adobe Bridge. I am, however, intrigued by Linux and
>> > interested in checking it out.

>> > Does anyone have any thoughts about which Linux distribution would
>> > work best? I'm looking at Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Also, what software
>> > is available? Is there support for scanners? I've got an older Epson
>> > I'd like to keep using.

>> > I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

>> > Thanks,

>> > John Valceanu

>> Should not make any real difference which distribution you choose, but
>> I would suggest trying a Live CD of whatever you're interested in first
>> - to see if there might be any problematic hardware. The Linux
>> distributions differ mainly in package management, desktop selections
>> and preloaded apps. My own personal preference is for the Debian
>> Package Management System - it simply works more cleanly for me than
>> RedHat Package Management. I tend, for that reason, to prefer either
>> Debian itself or one of the Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu.
>>
>> Software will include Open Source products for most anything you could
>> imagine - GIMP and OpenOffice, for example, are usually included in the
>> default install. I'd suggest trying garden variety Ubuntu with the
>> Gnome desktop environment. If you simply must have KDE, it seems
>> marginally better to install Ubuntu and then add the KDE desktop
>> environment rather than to install Kubuntu.
>>
>> Support for scanners is generally fairly good - especially for HP and
>> Epson scanners. You may need to get the 'iscan' package from avasys.jp
>> for your Epson scanner.
>>
>> If you're processing raw images, I like ufraw - there are several other
>> packages, as well - generally based on the dcraw conversion utility.

Alex Monro

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Someone mentioned switching to Linux OS to avoid Windows problems. I
> am running both Apple and Windows PCs, and I generally use Photoshop
> and sometimes Adobe Bridge. I am, however, intrigued by Linux and
> interested in checking it out.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts about which Linux distribution would
> work best? I'm looking at Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Also, what software
> is available? Is there support for scanners? I've got an older Epson
> I'd like to keep using.

I've been using Linux (currently Kubuntu) for all my computer work for
years, including photo editing. I mainly use Bibble for RAW conversion
and basic editing, but they seem to be having trouble getting the new
version out. I also use an old version of LightZone (didn't get on
with the later versions), and Gimp with UFraw - these last two, editor
and RAW converter respectively, are true open source and likely to be
included with any Linux distribution.

I've also tried DigiKam, RawStudio and RawTherapee - didn't really get
on with them myself, but your taste may be different. These are open
source or free download, and may be included in distributions.

I sometimes use CinePaint - a 16 bit per colour version of Gimp, when
I need greater colour depth in editing (HDR etc.). That is open source,
but not available as a compiled package - I had to build it from source
(not difficult, just a little tedious, but I used to be a software
developer for a living... )

Miles Bader

Neil Ellwood <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> CinePaint was certainly in Debian Testing software a couple of months
> ago. Just needed downloading via apt-get install

The version currently in debian seems very old though -- it hasn't had
any substantiative updates since Jan 2006...

Granted, I dunno if upstream's any better!

-Miles

--
Politeness, n. The most acceptable hypocrisy.

ray

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:29:23 +0100, Alex Monro wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Someone mentioned switching to Linux OS to avoid Windows problems. I am
>> running both Apple and Windows PCs, and I generally use Photoshop and
>> sometimes Adobe Bridge. I am, however, intrigued by Linux and
>> interested in checking it out.
>>
>> Does anyone have any thoughts about which Linux distribution would work
>> best? I'm looking at Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Also, what software is
>> available? Is there support for scanners? I've got an older Epson I'd
>> like to keep using.
>>

> I've been using Linux (currently Kubuntu) for all my computer work for
> years, including photo editing. I mainly use Bibble for RAW conversion
> and basic editing, but they seem to be having trouble getting the new
> version out. I also use an old version of LightZone (didn't get on with
> the later versions), and Gimp with UFraw - these last two, editor and
> RAW converter respectively, are true open source and likely to be
> included with any Linux distribution.
>
> I've also tried DigiKam, RawStudio and RawTherapee - didn't really get
> on with them myself, but your taste may be different. These are open
> source or free download, and may be included in distributions.
>
> I sometimes use CinePaint - a 16 bit per colour version of Gimp, when I
> need greater colour depth in editing (HDR etc.). That is open source,
> but not available as a compiled package - I had to build it from source
> (not difficult, just a little tedious, but I used to be a software
> developer for a living... )

It's my understanding that the latest GIMP version also supports 16 bits
per color, but it's not activated by default as it's not yet fully mature.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ray <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> > I sometimes use CinePaint - a 16 bit per colour version of Gimp, when I
> > need greater colour depth in editing (HDR etc.). That is open source,
> > but not available as a compiled package - I had to build it from source
> > (not difficult, just a little tedious, but I used to be a software
> > developer for a living... )

> It's my understanding that the latest GIMP version also supports 16 bits
> per color, but it's not activated by default as it's not yet fully mature.

not fully mature? and you wonder why people pay for photoshop?