Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Startup Problem

Startup Problem

Robert11

Hello,

Have a 5 yr old Dell, running XP.

Machine won't boot up or start anymore, without lots of trouble and
"fiddling"
Am finally able to get it started playing with the F8, F12, and F2 function
keys, and their options.

Have 2 HD's.
A :C that came with the machine, and a :F that I put in a few yrs ago for
some added storage.

The :F does not appear anymore when I go to Windows Explorer.
Also, there is now a very loud buzzing that I am assuming, but not sure, is
coming from the :F
Likely that the :F HD has had it ?

Question: I imagine all the really imprtant startup/boot "stuff" is on the
:C, as that was the original drive that came with the PC and appears to be
working just fine.

So, even if the added HD, the :F, is kaput, why won't the PC start normally
anymore ?

Isn't the operable original C drive all that is required for startup ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Mike Easter

Robert11 wrote:

> Have a 5 yr old Dell, running XP.

It doesn't sound like it is running anything. ITYM Ithinkyoumean it
used to be runnning XP; there is/was an XP install.

> Machine won't boot up or start anymore,

That is a very ambiguous statement. The sequence is that there is power
up followed by the poweron selftest POST during which the post could
show the various hardware parts and during which there can be beeps
about things which are not working or connected. During that time you
are able to determine that the monitor is working and that the BIOS has
discovered important parts such as the hdd/s. After the post, the bios
looks for an operating system to boot. If it doesn't find one, there is
an alert.

> without lots of trouble and
> "fiddling"
> Am finally able to get it started playing with the F8, F12, and F2
> function keys, and their options.

Who knows what that part means.

> Have 2 HD's.
> A :C that came with the machine, and a :F that I put in a few yrs ago
> for some added storage.

.... which means that C & maybe a partition D might have been provided by
the manufacturer, and then the optical could be E and then the next
drive used to be recognized as F.

> The :F does not appear anymore when I go to Windows Explorer.

Going to windows explorer is a completely different statement than
"Machine won't boot up or start anymore" which is what you said above.
Which way is it?

> Also, there is now a very loud buzzing that I am assuming, but not
> sure, is coming from the :F

You didn't mention whether or not the BIOS saw the newest drive. There
are many many other things you didn't mention as well. This is a very
sketchy troubleshooting report.

> Likely that the :F HD has had it ?

It is not possible to say absent any decent information or
troubleshooting yet.

> Question: I imagine all the really imprtant startup/boot "stuff" is

on
> the
>> C, as that was the original drive that came with the PC and appears

>> be working just fine.

There used to be a bootable installation there.

> So, even if the added HD, the :F, is kaput, why won't the PC start
> normally anymore ?

Indeed.

> Isn't the operable original C drive all that is required for startup ?

There are many things required for startup, which include a bootable OS
on the drive the BIOS wants to turn the boot process over to.

> Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

What do you have to do to a Dell to show you the BIOS POST information?
I've never had one.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Robert11 wrote:

> Have a 5 yr old Dell, running XP.

What is the name and modelno of this computer?

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Robert11 wrote:

> Have a 5 yr old Dell, running XP.

http://snipr.com/qqf9x The Dell Disk Self Test (DST) tool is available
in the latest basic input/output (BIOS) revisions of OptiPlex,
Dimension, and Precision Workstation computers. -- At the Dell BIOS
splash screen, press the <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <D> keys at the same time....

// The computer beeps once to acknowledge that the hard drive
diagnostics have been initiated, and then the following message
ppears: --If the diagnostic test reports an error, refer to Dell
Troubleshooting Wizard: "Hard Drive Fails the Diagnostics"Wizard ID:
324398 - ....

// Before presuming that the hard drive is failing, read the result
carefully and determine whether it indicates the following:
-- * The computer finds the hard drive but the drive fails the
diagnostic test. -- * The computer does not find the hard drive.

--
Mike Easter

hwf

In message <h6pgc6$b8h$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, "Robert11" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have a 5 yr old Dell, running XP.

Upgrade to linux...

> Machine won't boot up or start anymore, without lots of trouble and
> "fiddling"
> Am finally able to get it started playing with the F8, F12, and F2 function
> keys, and their options.

Thats kinda vague.
Does the BIOS hold its settings?

> Have 2 HD's.
> A :C that came with the machine, and a :F that I put in a few yrs ago for
> some added storage.

I see...

<strokes beard thoughtfully>
Um hmmm...

> The :F does not appear anymore when I go to Windows Explorer.
> Also, there is now a very loud buzzing that I am assuming, but not sure, is
> coming from the :F
> Likely that the :F HD has had it ?

Disconnect the C: and leave the "F:" drive attached...can you boot from it?
Does it even show a drive activity light?

> Question: I imagine all the really imprtant startup/boot "stuff" is on the
> :C, as that was the original drive that came with the PC and appears to be
> working just fine.

Sure, thats the ticket.

> So, even if the added HD, the :F, is kaput, why won't the PC start normally
> anymore ?

Its depressed...

> Isn't the operable original C drive all that is required for startup ?

Uh...yeah.

> Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Disconnect both drives and see if the pc will dump you at a screen at *all*
after you press the power button. If not, you gots more than just drive
problems, son.

<nods>

--
Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
http://www.ramusa.org/

chuckcar

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:h6pgc6$b8h$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> Hello,
>
> Have a 5 yr old Dell, running XP.
>
> Machine won't boot up or start anymore, without lots of trouble and
> "fiddling"
> Am finally able to get it started playing with the F8, F12, and F2
> function keys, and their options.

Do you mean it can boot to safe mode and *not* to normal windows?

> Have 2 HD's.
> A :C that came with the machine, and a :F that I put in a few yrs ago
> for some added storage.
>
> The :F does not appear anymore when I go to Windows Explorer.
> Also, there is now a very loud buzzing that I am assuming, but not sure,
> is coming from the :F

Could also be the CDROM/DVD drive starting up.

Do you get *any* error messages and if so what are they?

> Likely that the :F HD has had it ?

No way to show that to be true based on this information. Does it show up
in the BIOS?

> Question: I imagine all the really imprtant startup/boot "stuff" is on
> the
>:C, as that was the original drive that came with the PC and appears to
>:be
> working just fine.
>
> So, even if the added HD, the :F, is kaput, why won't the PC start
> normally anymore ?

Perhaps some startup program was installed on F Perhaps we don't know as
we don't really know what's wrong without the aforementioned error
messages.

> Isn't the operable original C drive all that is required for startup ?

Boot, yes. For startup not necessarily. Two entirely different things.
Startup are the programs that run *after* windows is loaded. If you can
get to safe mode than that's a likely cause, although andthing running in
startup won't stop windows from loading. Is this drive connected to the
same IDE cable as the C: drive? Is it an external drive?

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Tony

We?? Chuck have you been using his computer? Did you bust his computer.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

the realm of understandability

Respondant

Gaius Baltar wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 15:19:27 -0400, "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Have a 5 yr old Dell, running XP.
>>
>> Machine won't boot up or start anymore, without lots of trouble and
>> "fiddling"
>> Am finally able to get it started playing with the F8, F12, and F2
>> function keys, and their options.
>>
>> Have 2 HD's.
>> A :C that came with the machine, and a :F that I put in a few yrs
>> ago for some added storage.
>>
>> The :F does not appear anymore when I go to Windows Explorer.
>> Also, there is now a very loud buzzing that I am assuming, but not
>> sure, is coming from the :F
>> Likely that the :F HD has had it ?
>>
>> Question: I imagine all the really imprtant startup/boot "stuff" is
>> on the
>>> C, as that was the original drive that came with the PC and appears
>>> to be working just fine.

>> So, even if the added HD, the :F, is kaput, why won't the PC start
>> normally anymore ?

Boot sequence. Take "F" out of the picture.

>> Isn't the operable original C drive all that is required for startup
>> ?

Depends on the boot sequence.

>> Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

> I would try disconnecting F: and seeing if that makes C: boot normally
> without "fiddling".

Ignoring the presence of "F" can be done without opening the case by
altering the BOOT SEQUENCE via BIOS.

<snip>

If it boots clean with "F" out of the picture then yeah, it's a pretty safe
bet that "F" is "F'ed up"