Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Battery question

Battery question

JEP

I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
drawer unused. When I do use it - either for family shots or on vacation
- I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day. In other
words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get used,
it gets fairly light usage.

The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
megapixel) that uses AA batteries. I have been using rechargable
Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. My problem is that the batteries are
almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
every time. They seem to be drain within a week or so.

I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
would deplete other batteries too quickly. But I hope battery technology
has improved since 2003.

Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?
I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when the
camera is not being used) but will have enough juice to get me through a
week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.

What would be best for my needs: slow-discharge rechargable
NiMH...Lithium...something else? Or is it that Energizer just makes
crappy rechargable NiMHs, and the brand is my problem?

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.

JEP

David J Taylor

"JEP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9C6F273BA5A5jpearsonstanfordedu@171.67.22. 74...
> I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
> drawer unused. When I do use it - either for family shots or on
> vacation
> - I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day. In other
> words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get
> used,
> it gets fairly light usage.
>
> The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
> megapixel) that uses AA batteries. I have been using rechargable
> Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. My problem is that the batteries
> are
> almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
> every time. They seem to be drain within a week or so.
>
> I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
> would deplete other batteries too quickly. But I hope battery
> technology
> has improved since 2003.
>
> Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?
> I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when
> the
> camera is not being used) but will have enough juice to get me through a
> week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.
>
> What would be best for my needs: slow-discharge rechargable
> NiMH...Lithium...something else? Or is it that Energizer just makes
> crappy rechargable NiMHs, and the brand is my problem?
>
> Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.
>
> JEP

Try Sanyo eneloop. They have a much lower self-discharge than most NiMH
cells.

David

Bob Williams

JEP wrote:
> I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
> drawer unused. When I do use it - either for family shots or on vacation
> - I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day. In other
> words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get used,
> it gets fairly light usage.
>
> The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
> megapixel) that uses AA batteries. I have been using rechargable
> Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. My problem is that the batteries are
> almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
> every time. They seem to be drain within a week or so.
>
> I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
> would deplete other batteries too quickly. But I hope battery technology
> has improved since 2003.
>
> Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?
> I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when the
> camera is not being used) but will have enough juice to get me through a
> week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.
>
> What would be best for my needs: slow-discharge rechargable
> NiMH...Lithium...something else? Or is it that Energizer just makes
> crappy rechargable NiMHs, and the brand is my problem?
>
> Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.
>
> JEP

Use Lithium Batteries.
They last a loooong time.
They are ideal for your type of usage.
They cost a bit more than Alkalines or NiMH rechargables but it sure is
nice not to have to worry if your camera is going to work.
Bob Williams

David J Taylor

"Bob Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AkNjm.110291$(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> Use Lithium Batteries.
> They last a loooong time.
> They are ideal for your type of usage.
> They cost a bit more than Alkalines or NiMH rechargables but it sure is
> nice not to have to worry if your camera is going to work.
> Bob Williams

Yes, but check that the Nikon Coolpix 2100 can accept the slightly higher
voltage which Lithiums may produce. These appear to be OK:

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.p...ergizer.com%22

They are also noticeably lighter than normal AA cells.

David

More Info

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 07:38:07 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>"JEP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:Xns9C6F273BA5A5jpearsonstanfordedu@171.67.22 .74...
>> I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
>> drawer unused. When I do use it - either for family shots or on
>> vacation
>> - I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day. In other
>> words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get
>> used,
>> it gets fairly light usage.
>>
>> The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
>> megapixel) that uses AA batteries. I have been using rechargable
>> Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. My problem is that the batteries
>> are
>> almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
>> every time. They seem to be drain within a week or so.
>>
>> I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
>> would deplete other batteries too quickly. But I hope battery
>> technology
>> has improved since 2003.
>>
>> Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?
>> I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when
>> the
>> camera is not being used) but will have enough juice to get me through a
>> week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.
>>
>> What would be best for my needs: slow-discharge rechargable
>> NiMH...Lithium...something else? Or is it that Energizer just makes
>> crappy rechargable NiMHs, and the brand is my problem?
>>
>> Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> JEP

>Try Sanyo eneloop. They have a much lower self-discharge than most NiMH
>cells.
>
>David

Rayovac also markets the same battery chemistry under a pre-charged NiMH
cell they named "Hybrid". You might find them at a more reasonable price
than Eneloops, often less than 50% the price of Eneloops.

I think Energizer sells a similar product, also labeled as "Pre-Charged" on
the packaging. Any NiMH rechargeable batteries on the shelf being sold with
"pre-charged" on the packaging have this same chemistry. This is why they
can keep them on the shelves that long and safely make that claim.

Do a search on Google using the string: nimh pre-charged

I just did that and many companies are now selling them. Duracell, Delco,
GE, Kodak, etc. etc.

Oddly, I didn't find Energizer on a quick hunt. But I'm almost certain that
I saw some on the shelf one time.

bucky3

On Aug 22, 12:14 am, JEP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My problem is that the batteries are
> almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
> every time. They seem to be drain within a week or so.

maybe you should take out the batteries from the camera, and only
insert them when you're using your camera.

Nicko

On Aug 22, 2:14*am, JEP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
> drawer unused. *When I do use it - either for family shots or on vacation
> - I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day. *In other
> words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get used,
> it gets fairly light usage.
>
> The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
> megapixel) that uses AA batteries. *I have been using rechargable
> Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. *My problem is that the batteries are
> almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
> every time. *They seem to be drain within a week or so.
>
> I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
> would deplete other batteries too quickly. *But I hope battery technology
> has improved since 2003.
>
> Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery? *
> I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when the
> camera is not being used) but will have enough juice to get me through a
> week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.

Is your occasional "week or two of vacation" always so impromptu that
you don't have time to charge batteries the night before you leave?

I have a suggestion: Post a note for yourself in a place where you
see it every day: "CHARGE BATTERIES BEFORE VACATION."

HTH.

--
YOP...

Jürgen Exner

JEP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a

[...]
>The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
>megapixel) that uses AA batteries. I have been using rechargable
>Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. My problem is that the batteries are
>almost always dead whenever I need my camera;

Yes, normal rechargable batteries have a high self-discharge rate, even
when not used. And they age. After 6 years I would expect the battery to
hold only a fraction of what it used to hold when new. Plus the deep
discharge every time is not a life-enhancing scenario, either.

> They seem to be drain within a week or so.

New rechargable batteries should last significantly longer, typical NiMH
should loose about 1/3 per month.

>I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
>would deplete other batteries too quickly.

Well,almost true. Using batteries instead of rechargables will deplete
your wallet if you have a standard usage pattern for your camera. You
don't.

>Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?

Most definitely yes.

>I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when the
>camera is not being used)

Use normal AA batteries (non-rechargable). For your usage pattern that's
the best option. Not to mention that you can just try it without buying
any new stuff.
Or try the new Sanyo Eneelops with low self-discharge rate. However they
are expensive and require a new charger, too.

>but will have enough juice to get me through a
>week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.

That's not going to happen. If you _actively_use_ the camera daily then
no batterie will hold enough charge to last that long.

jue

Jürgen Exner

Nicko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Aug 22, 2:14*am, JEP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
>> drawer unused. *When I do use it - either for family shots or on vacation
>> - I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day. *In other
>> words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get used,
>> it gets fairly light usage.
>>
>> The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2

[...]

>Is your occasional "week or two of vacation" always so impromptu that
>you don't have time to charge batteries the night before you leave?

That would probably not help much, because a 6 year old battery isn't
going to hold more than a fraction of the charge of a new one.

jue

Factual Corrections

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 05:40:35 -0700, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Use normal AA batteries (non-rechargable). For your usage pattern that's
>the best option. Not to mention that you can just try it without buying
>any new stuff.
>Or try the new Sanyo Eneelops with low self-discharge rate. However they
>are expensive and require a new charger, too.

The new low-discharge "pre-charged" NiMH batteries do not require a new
charger. And if you don't buy the Eneloop brand of these types of batteries
then they are no more expensive than normal prices you've paid for NiMH
batteries in the past. The only reason Eneloops are higher priced is
because that's the only brand-name that online parroting trolls, who don't
actually buy batteries for their imaginary cameras, know of to spew
constantly. Since everyone thinks that Eneloops are the only brand or
somehow better, then Sanyo gets to rob everyone blind. Such is the folly of
following online troll's advice. Eneloops may have been the first kids on
the block but that's not been true for almost 2 years now. Nor are Eneloops
the best anymore. Though you'll never know this by listening to online
trolls' parroted advice.

You are also wrong about advising them to use normal alkaline AA batteries.
Digital cameras require high-current rates, but for very short durations.
Regular alkalines will only be useful for a very short period of their
typical life-time in all other devices before their voltage drops below a
useful level for digital cameras. A *huge* waste of money for a digital
camera. NiMHs or Lithiums (if your battery can deal with the slightly
higher voltages of Lithium AAs) are best for all digital cameras.

Please stop spouting advice on a topic that you obviously know nothing
about.