Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Real Random Number Generator

Real Random Number Generator

BarNash

Hi all

Is there a way to implement a true random number generator with VHDL ?

Thanks
BarNash

sleeman

On Aug 20, 7:22*am, "BarNash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Is there a way to implement a true random number generator with VHDL ?
>
> Thanks
> BarNash

No. Best you can do it find numbers you're happy with elsewhere: a
file, an internet connection, a diode-based random bit generator, and
try to hack something together so that a VHDL testbench can pull them
in.

- Kenn

Tricky

On Aug 20, 1:20*pm, sleeman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 20, 7:22*am, "BarNash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi all

> > Is there a way to implement a true random number generator with VHDL ?

> > Thanks
> > BarNash

> No. *Best you can do it find numbers you're happy with elsewhere: a
> file, an internet connection, a diode-based random bit generator, and
> try to hack something together so that a VHDL testbench can pull them
> in.
>
> *- Kenn

VHDL has a pseudo random number generator, but you can only use it in
testbenches. The function uniform() in the math_real package generates
random real values between 0 and 1. You can convert these into
anything you want.

As for random numbers on hardware - there is NO easy way to generate
them without specific phisical hardware. You can normally generate
pseudo random numbers with LFSRs. I have heard of one method that
registers a clock several times across long distances around an FPGA -
and that can normally be good enough as a random number generator, but
Ive never implemented it myself.

Symon

No, but google for :-
random webcam smoke alarm
for details on how to make a true random number generator for a few $.
Cheers, Syms.

news:h6iuqc$av3$(E-Mail Removed)...