Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Whinging Poms get WIN 7 for 1/2 the price. 2

Whinging Poms get WIN 7 for 1/2 the price. 2

Woger

Seems that the Kiwis could lean a thing or 2 and not be so complaisant, it
pays to whinge

http://www.dailytech.com/UK+Gets+Win...ticle16014.htm

http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.p...=28904&catid=3

Or is MS sucking up to the EU..?

Bobs

On Aug 20, 3:06*pm, Woger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Seems that the Kiwis could lean a thing or 2 *and not be so complaisant, it
> pays to whinge
>
> http://www.dailytech.com/UK+Gets+Win...s+at+Half+Pric...
>
> http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.p...=28904&catid=3
>
> Or is MS sucking up to the EU..?

Just sign up to Technet Plus for a few hundred bucks\. Cost about $100
if you sign up with a couple of mates. Basically unlimited copies of
Windows 7 and Office.

Alan

"Bobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Just sign up to Technet Plus for a few hundred bucks\. Cost about
> $100
> if you sign up with a couple of mates. Basically unlimited copies of
> Windows 7 and Office.

Is that cost per annum?

If so, are the licenses valid for the duration of your 'membership' or
are they perpetual (as for a normal retail license)?

Thanks,

Alan.

My unmunged email is: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min probably much longer).

AD.

On Aug 23, 11:08*pm, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is that cost per annum?

If it is anything like Technet was years ago (the last time I used it)
or Action Packs are these days, that is the cost per year.

> If so, are the licenses valid for the duration of your 'membership' or
> are they perpetual (as for a normal retail license)?

Only applies while your subscription is current, and not only that -
the licenses are only for evaluation/test purposes and can't be used
in production.

And I'm pretty sure that sharing em around isn't kosher either.

Which raises the question, if you are going to violate the license
anyway, why bother signing up at all?

--
Cheers
Anton

Bobs

On Aug 23, 11:08*pm, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Bobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Just sign up to Technet Plus for a few hundred bucks\. Cost about
> > $100
> > if you sign up with a couple of mates. Basically unlimited copies of
> > Windows 7 and Office.

> Is that cost per annum?

Subscription is per annum.

> If so, are the licenses valid for the duration of your 'membership' or
> are they perpetual (as for a normal retail license)?

They are valid for as long as you need to use it. No limitations, it's
a normal retail key.

> Thanks,
>
> Alan.
>
> --
>
> The views expressed are my own, not those of my employer or others.
> My unmunged email is: *(E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
> min probably much longer).

Bobs

On Aug 24, 10:55*am, "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 23, 11:08*pm, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Is that cost per annum?

> If it is anything like Technet was years ago (the last time I used it)
> or Action Packs are these days, that is the cost per year.
>
> > If so, are the licenses valid for the duration of your 'membership' or
> > are they perpetual (as for a normal retail license)?

> Only applies while your subscription is current, and not only that -
> the licenses are only for evaluation/test purposes and can't be used
> in production.

Rubbish, they are normal keys. If the sub expires the key is still
yours as far as I know.

> And I'm pretty sure that sharing em around isn't kosher either.

Why? You've paid for them, if you want to give it away then that's
your decision.

> Which raises the question, if you are going to violate the license
> anyway, why bother signing up at all?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Anton

Bobs

On Aug 24, 1:14*pm, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 23, 11:08*pm, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > "Bobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> > > Just sign up to Technet Plus for a few hundred bucks\. Cost about
> > > $100
> > > if you sign up with a couple of mates. Basically unlimited copies of
> > > Windows 7 and Office.

> > Is that cost per annum?

> Subscription is per annum.
>

> > If so, are the licenses valid for the duration of your 'membership' or
> > are they perpetual (as for a normal retail license)?

> They are valid for as long as you need to use it. No limitations, it's
> a normal retail key.
>

> > Thanks,

> > Alan.

> > --

> > The views expressed are my own, not those of my employer or others.
> > My unmunged email is: *(E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
> > min probably much longer).- Hide quoted text -

I've checked this out.

1) Yes, the keys are for good. You can use them even after your sub
has expired. That's the consensus online.
2) Legality of sharing a technet subscription is suspect. In fact, i
don't think it is legal. So forget I suggested it. Still cheap to get
one yourself anyway.

Nathan Mercer

On Aug 24, 1:28*pm, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Is that cost per annum?

> > Subscription is per annum.

> > > If so, are the licenses valid for the duration of your 'membership' or
> > > are they perpetual (as for a normal retail license)?

> > They are valid for as long as you need to use it. No limitations, it's
> > a normal retail key.

> > > Thanks,

> > > Alan.

> > > --

> > > The views expressed are my own, not those of my employer or others.
> > > My unmunged email is: *(E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
> > > min probably much longer).- Hide quoted text -

> I've checked this out.
>
> 1) Yes, the keys are for good. You can use them even after your sub
> has expired. That's the consensus online.
> 2) Legality of sharing a technet subscription is suspect. In fact, i
> don't think it is legal. So forget I suggested it. *Still cheap to get
> one yourself anyway.- Hide quoted text -

Its worthwhile pointing out that more information about the TechNet
Plus subscription is available online
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/s...59(en-us).aspx

and the license terms
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/s...22(en-us).aspx

the subscription is per user, if you have 3 users using TechNet
software you are meant to have 3 subscriptions, also the software
doesn't time out but it is for evaluation, testing, and training only,
not for use in production etc

"Single User License. If you acquire a single user license, one user
may install and use copies of the software on any of your devices."

"Evaluation Software. One user may install and use copies of the
evaluation software listed in the COMPONENTS.TXT file, even if you
obtained a server license. You may use the evaluation software only to
evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating, in a staging
environment or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up."

Cheers
Nathan
MSNZ