Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > WLC 4402 & 1130AG Access-Point

WLC 4402 & 1130AG Access-Point

Andy Doe

Hi There,

Is it possible to configure an LWAPP controlled AP directly from the
Wireless-LAN-Controller-Box /WLC (4402)? The AP is already registered to the
WLC but we need
to change the APs IP & GW Address. Can this be done right from the WLC Box
or do we have to logon into the AP itself?

Help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Andy

Andrey Tarasov

Andy Doe wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> Is it possible to configure an LWAPP controlled AP directly from the
> Wireless-LAN-Controller-Box /WLC (4402)? The AP is already registered to the
> WLC but we need
> to change the APs IP & GW Address. Can this be done right from the WLC Box
> or do we have to logon into the AP itself?

Don't have controller handy, but IIRC it should be under Configure->AP.
It can assign a static IP address to AP.

Though I'm not sure why would you want to do that.

Regards,
Andrey.

Uli Link

Andy Doe schrieb:
> Hi There,
>
> Is it possible to configure an LWAPP controlled AP directly from the
> Wireless-LAN-Controller-Box /WLC (4402)? The AP is already registered to the
> WLC but we need
> to change the APs IP & GW Address. Can this be done right from the WLC Box
> or do we have to logon into the AP itself?

Usually the AP's IP address and gateway is configured via a DHCP server
which also assigns the management interface' address of the WLC.

--
ULi

Thrill5

"Andrey Tarasov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h6ebfk$2ao3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andy Doe wrote:
>> Hi There,
>>
>> Is it possible to configure an LWAPP controlled AP directly from the
>> Wireless-LAN-Controller-Box /WLC (4402)? The AP is already registered to
>> the WLC but we need
>> to change the APs IP & GW Address. Can this be done right from the WLC
>> Box or do we have to logon into the AP itself?

> Don't have controller handy, but IIRC it should be under Configure->AP. It
> can assign a static IP address to AP.
>
> Though I'm not sure why would you want to do that.
>
> Regards,
> Andrey.

If you change the IP to static, and then move the AP to a different subnet
it will no longer work. You can't configure an LWAPP AP from a console, so
you will have to move it back to the original subnet and then change the AP
back to DHCP on the WLC.

The entire point of using a WLC is so you don't have to configure anything
on the AP's. The WLC doesn't care what the AP's IP address is (it keeps
track of it via it's MAC address) and the IP assigned to the AP has nothing
to do with the IP's on the wireless network. If you want to ensure that the
AP always has the same IP, configure it as a "static dhcp" on the DHCP
server.

theapplebee theapplebee is offline
Member
Location: USA

In my experience, assigning IP address on each APs doesn't mean anything.
Just make sure which WLC is primary and which is backup if you have two WLC

- cisconet.com -