Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Data visualization in Python

Data visualization in Python

kj

I'm looking for a good Python package for visualizing
scientific/statistical data. (FWIW, the OS I'm interested in is
Mac OS X).

The users of this package will be experimental biologists with
little programming experience (but currently learning Python).

(I normally visualize data using R or Mathematica, but I don't want
to saddle these novices with the task of learning yet another
language.)

TIA!

kynn

jordilin

On 17 ago, 21:10, kj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking for a good Python package for visualizing
> scientific/statistical data. *(FWIW, the OS I'm interested in is
> Mac OS X).
>
> The users of this package will be experimental biologists with
> little programming experience (but currently learning Python).
>
> (I normally visualize data using R or Mathematica, but I don't want
> to saddle these novices with the task of learning yet another
> language.)
>
> TIA!
>
> kynn

Matplotlib is the one. There is Google Chart api which seems fairly
easy to understand and use thanks to pygooglechart bindings.

abalter

On Aug 17, 12:10*pm, kj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking for a good Python package for visualizing
> scientific/statistical data. *(FWIW, the OS I'm interested in is
> Mac OS X).
>
> The users of this package will be experimental biologists with
> little programming experience (but currently learning Python).
>
> (I normally visualize data using R or Mathematica, but I don't want
> to saddle these novices with the task of learning yet another
> language.)
>
> TIA!
>
> kynn

You might also look into the pythonxy superpackage, http://www.pythonxy.com/foreword.php
and http://enthought.com.

Weinhandl Herbert

Am 2009-08-17 21:10, schrieb kj:
> I'm looking for a good Python package for visualizing
> scientific/statistical data. (FWIW, the OS I'm interested in is
> Mac OS X).
>
> The users of this package will be experimental biologists with
> little programming experience (but currently learning Python).

SciDAVis is a free application for Scientific Data Analysis and Visualization.

http://scidavis.sourceforge.net/

Veusz is a scientific plotting and graphing package written in Python.

http://home.gna.org/veusz/

Open source data visualization and analysis for novice and experts. Data mining
through visual programming or Python scripting. Extensions for bioinformatics
and text mining. Comprehensive, flexible and fast.

http://www.ailab.si/orange/

> (I normally visualize data using R or Mathematica, but I don't want
> to saddle these novices with the task of learning yet another
> language.)

hth

Herbert

Aaron Watters

On Aug 17, 3:10*pm, kj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking for a good Python package for visualizing
> scientific/statistical data. *(FWIW, the OS I'm interested in is
> Mac OS X).

Please take a look at the amcharts embedding in WHIFF

http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/amcharts/doc

WHIFF is a collection of support services for WSGI
applications which allows applications to be composed
by "dropping" dynamic pages into container directories.

http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/docs/W.intro

thanks, -- Aaron Watters

===
Sisyphus got ripped.