Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: XP Home activation?

Re: XP Home activation?

Andy

Kenny wrote:

> Why would a PC which has been running happily for years suddenly require
> activation at start up?
> Only recent changes were an AGP graphics/analogue capture card added and m/b
> battery changed.
> Am tempted to install pirate copy of XP Pro, I know it won't happen again
> then.

Don't bother with a pirated OS.

Download the Windows 7 RC from Microsoft and use it 'til mid next year
for free. It beats XP Home and Vista.

Cheers,
Andy.

--
Registered Linux User #478766
Join the Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

why?

On 17 Aug 2009 11:30:24 GMT, Andy wrote:

>Kenny wrote:
>
>> Why would a PC which has been running happily for years suddenly require
>> activation at start up?
>> Only recent changes were an AGP graphics/analogue capture card added and m/b
>> battery changed.
>> Am tempted to install pirate copy of XP Pro, I know it won't happen again
>> then.

>Don't bother with a pirated OS.
>
>Download the Windows 7 RC from Microsoft and use it 'til mid next year
>for free. It beats XP Home and Vista.

Is the RC still valid? I can't remember which PC here had the RC/Beta
but it said it exipred already. I expect that will be because MS Technet
downloads have the RTM version now.

Me

VanguardLH

why? wrote:

> Is the RC still valid? I can't remember which PC here had the RC/Beta
> but it said it exipred already. I expect that will be because MS Technet
> downloads have the RTM version now.

The beta/RC versions have their own built-in expiration timer. They
aren't tied to what versions are currently available. See:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../download.aspx

That RC download will be available until August 20, 2009 and functions
until its June 1, 2010 expiration (warning: downloading their RC version
requires you also install the Akamai Download Manager, an ActiveX
control). The RTM version is already available for Technet and MSDN
subscribers yet the RC version is still available and will function past
the RTM's release.

I don't know if the RC has any of the fixes in the now available RTM
version. If not, the RC users will be screwed for a year in not having
those fixes. I haven't played with W7 RC to know if it works with the
WU site. That is, will the RC version be eligible for updates via the
Windows Update site? I don't waste my time migrating to a new version
unless I have a need (and there was none for Vista) and until after the
first service pack. An unstable OS is an unusable OS (and why I also
don't overclock my hardware).

Considering the sensitivity of the OP regarding a single reported
occurrence of having to re-activate his current install of Windows XP,
him moving to the next version of Windows won't solve that problem.
Installing an OS is not easier than doing a re-activation.