Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: XP Home activation?

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: XP Home activation?

 
 
VanguardLH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2009
Kenny wrote:

> Why would a PC which has been running happily for years suddenly
> require activation at start up? Only recent changes were an AGP
> graphics/analogue capture card added and m/b battery changed.


You just altered a major subsystem in your computer: it's video.
That's why.

> Am tempted to install pirate copy of XP Pro, I know it won't happen
> again then.


Oh, so you don't want help here. A pre-activated copy of Windows would
still trigger to activate on a major subsystem change. Yes, it's your
hardware but it's THEIR software. Go switch to a free variant of Linux
and enjoy the learning curve.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2009

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:49:38 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

>Kenny wrote:
>
>> Why would a PC which has been running happily for years suddenly
>> require activation at start up? Only recent changes were an AGP
>> graphics/analogue capture card added and m/b battery changed.

>
>You just altered a major subsystem in your computer: it's video.
>That's why.


Except that it's a points based system and although video is high in the
list the rest of the machine appears unchanged so there wasn't a major
overall change of the rest of the h/w score.

>> Am tempted to install pirate copy of XP Pro, I know it won't happen
>> again then.

>
>Oh, so you don't want help here. A pre-activated copy of Windows would
>still trigger to activate on a major subsystem change. Yes, it's your

<snip>

Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Whiskers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2009
On 2009-08-16, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:49:38 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
>
>>Kenny wrote:
>>
>>> Why would a PC which has been running happily for years suddenly
>>> require activation at start up? Only recent changes were an AGP
>>> graphics/analogue capture card added and m/b battery changed.

>>
>>You just altered a major subsystem in your computer: it's video.
>>That's why.

>
> Except that it's a points based system and although video is high in the
> list the rest of the machine appears unchanged so there wasn't a major
> overall change of the rest of the h/w score.


[...]

That change may have been only the most recent. If there is a 'points
system' for hardware changes, then presumably previous changes could have
accumulated enough points for those added by this latest change to trip
the 'Microsoft really doesn't trust you at all' trigger.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
 
Reply With Quote
 
VanguardLH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2009
Whiskers wrote:

> On 2009-08-16, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:49:38 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>>Kenny wrote:
>>>
>>>> Why would a PC which has been running happily for years suddenly
>>>> require activation at start up? Only recent changes were an AGP
>>>> graphics/analogue capture card added and m/b battery changed.
>>>
>>>You just altered a major subsystem in your computer: it's video.
>>>That's why.

>>
>> Except that it's a points based system and although video is high in the
>> list the rest of the machine appears unchanged so there wasn't a major
>> overall change of the rest of the h/w score.

>
> [...]
>
> That change may have been only the most recent. If there is a 'points
> system' for hardware changes, then presumably previous changes could have
> accumulated enough points for those added by this latest change to trip
> the 'Microsoft really doesn't trust you at all' trigger.


True. We were only told of the recent change, not what happened before.
According to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457054.aspx

the change of a video card should not have been sufficient on its own to
exceed the threshold. Well, that's what the article says. It says
scenario 1 won't require re-activation and yet I've had to do just that
after replacing the motherboard and CPU. Adding more memory or changing
drives (hard or optical) didn't initiate a re-activation.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XP home SP2 cannot view/access my XP home SP1 or my Win2K machines =?Utf-8?B?SmFtaW5h?= Wireless Networking 3 02-15-2006 02:18 AM
How To Connect Your PC to Your Home Stereo or Home Theater Silverstrand Front Page News 0 12-08-2005 01:29 PM
Home Network - XP Home Edition and Windows 2000 =?Utf-8?B?UEFS?= Wireless Networking 1 12-30-2004 09:40 PM
Set up home a home or small office network!!!! Chris Jardine Computer Support 2 04-06-2004 02:28 AM
When I open Internet Explorer, along with my home page a pop page pops up, I have changed home page but that doesnt work Phil Computer Support 7 03-04-2004 12:22 AM



Advertisments