Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dimdows Command-Line: Can't Live With It, Can't Live Without It

Dimdows Command-Line: Can't Live With It, Can't Live Without It

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

About 1490 hits for
<http://www.google.com/search?q=%22type+cmd%22+site:support.microsoft.com >,
including this rather delightful one on "common file and registry
virtualization issues in Windows Vista"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387>:

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box, and then
click cmd.exe in the Programs list.
2. In the Programs list, right-click cmd, and then click Run as
administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password
or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
3. Type MyAppsPath/MyApp, and then press ENTER. MyAppsPath/MyApp
represents the path and the name of the application.

Lovely way to run an app, isn't it? Oh, and shouldn't that be
"MyAppsPath\MyApp"?

Interestingly, my search for Registry edits
<http://www.google.com/search?q=%22type+regedit%22+site:support.microsoft .com>
now claims to return only "about 3580" hits, down from over 4600 when I
tried it earlier this year
<http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/573e111445d03362>.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Just to add to the fun, Microsoft has added some new command-line
enhancements to Windows 7. That's right--new features to the command line,
that you're not supposed to need on a Dimdows system?

One of the enhancements is a new command TZUTIL.EXE for getting and setting
timezone information. Nifty idea. Should be even more useful to be able to
combine this with Microsoft's super-duper object-oriented PowerShell CLI,
shouldn't it?

Except it isn't that straightforward
<http://blogs.technet.com/jamesone/archive/2009/06/09/parsing-lists-to-objects-in-powershell-tzutil.aspx>.

greg

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> About 1490 hits for
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22type+cmd%22+site:support.microsoft.com >,
> including this rather delightful one on "common file and registry
> virtualization issues in Windows Vista"
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387>:
>
> 1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box, and then
> click cmd.exe in the Programs list.
> 2. In the Programs list, right-click cmd, and then click Run as
> administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password
> or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
> 3. Type MyAppsPath/MyApp, and then press ENTER. MyAppsPath/MyApp
> represents the path and the name of the application.
>
> Lovely way to run an app, isn't it? Oh, and shouldn't that be
> "MyAppsPath\MyApp"?
>
> Interestingly, my search for Registry edits
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22type+regedit%22+site:support.microsoft .com>
> now claims to return only "about 3580" hits, down from over 4600 when I
> tried it earlier this year
> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/573e111445d03362>.

**** off..............go get a life or find a corner and die quietly

Gordon

On 2009-08-16, greg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> About 1490 hits for
>> <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22type+cmd%22+site:support.microsoft.com >,
>> including this rather delightful one on "common file and registry
>> virtualization issues in Windows Vista"
>> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387>:
>>
>> 1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box, and then
>> click cmd.exe in the Programs list.
>> 2. In the Programs list, right-click cmd, and then click Run as
>> administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password
>> or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
>> 3. Type MyAppsPath/MyApp, and then press ENTER. MyAppsPath/MyApp
>> represents the path and the name of the application.
>>
>> Lovely way to run an app, isn't it? Oh, and shouldn't that be
>> "MyAppsPath\MyApp"?
>>
>> Interestingly, my search for Registry edits
>> <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22type+regedit%22+site:support.microsoft .com>
>> now claims to return only "about 3580" hits, down from over 4600 when I
>> tried it earlier this year
>> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/573e111445d03362>.

> **** off..............go get a life or find a corner and die quietly

Hey! No personal abuse here. If you do not like what someone posts, just
ignore it.

Waiting ...

Cima

> Interestingly, my search for Registry edits
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22type+regedit%22+site:support.microsoft .com>
> now claims to return only "about 3580" hits, down from over 4600 when I
> tried it earlier this year
> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/573e111445d03362>.

Wow, I wish I had such an exciting life. Can't beat keeping Google stats.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis wrote:

> Have any post with Dimdows filtered out.

Oh dear...

Carnations

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 19:13:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis
> wrote:
>
>> Have any post with Dimdows filtered out.

> Oh dear...

That was actually a good idea. I've now done the same too.

Max Burke

whoisthis wrote:

> In article <h6811t$cfa$(E-Mail Removed)>, greg <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> **** off..............go get a life or find a corner and die quietly

> Look, make life easy for yourself.
> Have any post with Dimdows filtered out.

Filtering him out would work a lot better if other didn't reply to his
posts...

Found Images

greg

whoisthis wrote:
> In article <h6811t$cfa$(E-Mail Removed)>, greg <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> About 1490 hits for
>>> <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22type+cmd%22+site:support.microsoft.com >,
>>> including this rather delightful one on "common file and registry
>>> virtualization issues in Windows Vista"
>>> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387>:
>>>
>>> 1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box, and then
>>> click cmd.exe in the Programs list.
>>> 2. In the Programs list, right-click cmd, and then click Run as
>>> administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password
>>> or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
>>> 3. Type MyAppsPath/MyApp, and then press ENTER. MyAppsPath/MyApp
>>> represents the path and the name of the application.
>>>
>>> Lovely way to run an app, isn't it? Oh, and shouldn't that be
>>> "MyAppsPath\MyApp"?
>>>
>>> Interestingly, my search for Registry edits
>>> <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22ty...t.microsoft.co
>>> m>
>>> now claims to return only "about 3580" hits, down from over 4600 when I
>>> tried it earlier this year
>>> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/573e111445d03362>.

>> **** off..............go get a life or find a corner and die quietly

> Look, make life easy for yourself.
> Have any post with Dimdows filtered out.

everyone here is just sick to death of his dribble about anything and
everything, thats why he needs to find a corner and die quietly.... note
larry I said, die not find a corner and spank off.

victor

greg wrote:

> everyone here is just sick to death of his dribble about anything and
> everything, thats why he needs to find a corner and die quietly.... note
> larry I said, die not find a corner and spank off.

No matter what he does, you don't speak for anyone.