Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wifi Connection

Wifi Connection

pacific mist

I have a new problem. When I try to connect to the wireless network in my
apartment which has a Mini Mac computer, is password protected and has as
security " WPA/WPA2 Personal". I find the network, automatic, it is very
strong, all the bars are gree but when I fill in the password as requested, I
am unable to access the network. I was able to do this just i week ago.
When I called MAC Techincal Support, they asked me to remove the WPA/WPA2
Personal security from the network. Subsequent to that I was able to connect
to the network from my PC. When I asked the tech why I can no longer access
the network if it is WPA/WPA2 Personal protected, she asked if I had
downloaded any new programs. The only programs I have downloaded are the
suggested updates that Microsoft recommends I add before I sign off each
time. Is it possible that Microsoft has added a new update to my computer
that will prevent me from accessing a WPA/WPA2 Personal, passwork protected
network? I think the risk is low if I have no security system for the
network, but it still bothers me that I am unable to access the network from
my PC laptop unless the security system is inactivated.

Lem

pacific mist wrote:
> I have a new problem. When I try to connect to the wireless network in my
> apartment which has a Mini Mac computer, is password protected and has as
> security " WPA/WPA2 Personal". I find the network, automatic, it is very
> strong, all the bars are gree but when I fill in the password as requested, I
> am unable to access the network. I was able to do this just i week ago.
> When I called MAC Techincal Support, they asked me to remove the WPA/WPA2
> Personal security from the network. Subsequent to that I was able to connect
> to the network from my PC. When I asked the tech why I can no longer access
> the network if it is WPA/WPA2 Personal protected, she asked if I had
> downloaded any new programs. The only programs I have downloaded are the
> suggested updates that Microsoft recommends I add before I sign off each
> time. Is it possible that Microsoft has added a new update to my computer
> that will prevent me from accessing a WPA/WPA2 Personal, passwork protected
> network? I think the risk is low if I have no security system for the
> network, but it still bothers me that I am unable to access the network from
> my PC laptop unless the security system is inactivated.

Reconfigure encryption on the router and try again.

What were the updates that you installed just before this happened? Go
to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and click on the link in the left
pane that says "Review your update history."

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html