Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Is my computer haunted?

Is my computer haunted?

pullgees@yahoo.com

Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps.
I thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not
occur again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal?
All silly comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

Slarty

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 04:16:48 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
> speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps.
> I thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not
> occur again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal?
> All silly comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

It sounds as though your PC is spontaneously developing sentience and
expressing its opinion of the user. Report it at once to your appropriate
government security authority ----- or the Fortean Times.

Zeljko Vrba

On 2009-08-15, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
> speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps.
> I thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not
> occur again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal?
> All silly comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

Some or other chat-program that lets others send you sounds?

anders

Sat, 15 Aug 2009 04:16:48 -0700 wrote pullgees:

> Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
> speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps. I
> thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not occur
> again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal? All silly
> comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

If you use wireless, you probably have an antenna connected to your
computer.
Could be a similar phenomenon as with my neighbor's cellphone.
When he call up someone it create beeping in my transistorradio.
It is most likely interference.

/Anders

pullgees@yahoo.com

On Aug 15, 7:48 pm, anders <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sat, 15 Aug 2009 04:16:48 -0700 wrote pullgees:
>
> > Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
> > speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps. I
> > thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not occur
> > again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal? All silly
> > comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

> If you use wireless, you probably have an antenna connected to your
> computer.
> Could be a similar phenomenon as with my neighbor's cellphone.
> When he call up someone it create beeping in my transistorradio.
> It is most likely interference.
>
> /Anders

Yes I'm using wireless, but interference in the form of a yawn is
weird. It was so clear. I immediately looked up at the banner ad as
I thought it was a gimmick to get your attention but it did not
repeat. I considered a passing taxi but I can't imagine a driver
yawning down his mike and no conversation with base.

jc

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Aug 15, 7:48 pm, anders <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Sat, 15 Aug 2009 04:16:48 -0700 wrote pullgees:
>>
>>> Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
>>> speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps. I
>>> thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not occur
>>> again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal? All silly
>>> comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

>> If you use wireless, you probably have an antenna connected to your
>> computer.
>> Could be a similar phenomenon as with my neighbor's cellphone.
>> When he call up someone it create beeping in my transistorradio.
>> It is most likely interference.
>>
>> /Anders

> Yes I'm using wireless, but interference in the form of a yawn is
> weird. It was so clear. I immediately looked up at the banner ad as
> I thought it was a gimmick to get your attention but it did not
> repeat. I considered a passing taxi but I can't imagine a driver
> yawning down his mike and no conversation with base.

It's healthy to be a little paranoid when you are connected to a
network. But, people with malicious intents generally try to be very
subtle and do not announce themselves with things like beeps and yawns.
Has anyone else been on your computer recently, who might have written a
simple script and set it to run last night to see what your response
would be?

jc

pullgees@yahoo.com

On Aug 16, 4:16 am, jc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> >> If you use wireless, you probably have an antenna connected to your
> >> computer.
> >> Could be a similar phenomenon as with my neighbor's cellphone.
> >> When he call up someone it create beeping in my transistorradio.
> >> It is most likely interference.

> >> /Anders

> > Yes I'm using wireless, but interference in the form of a yawn is
> > weird. It was so clear. I immediately looked up at the banner ad as
> > I thought it was a gimmick to get your attention but it did not
> > repeat. I considered a passing taxi but I can't imagine a driver
> > yawning down his mike and no conversation with base.

> It's healthy to be a little paranoid when you are connected to a
> network. But, people with malicious intents generally try to be very
> subtle and do not announce themselves with things like beeps and yawns.
> Has anyone else been on your computer recently, who might have written a
> simple script and set it to run last night to see what your response
> would be?
>
> jc

No just me. The site I was visiting at the time was IMDB and the
banner ad running was Virgin Broadband

~BD~

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
> speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps.
> I thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not
> occur again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal?
> All silly comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

Such noises can be as a resut of malware on your computer.

To save re-inventing the wheel, here is some excellent advice from
someone I trust:-

Viz:-

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with
the
following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for
this):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

_____________________________________

HTH
--
Dave

pullgees@yahoo.com

On Aug 16, 2:26 pm, "~BD~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
> > speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps.
> > I thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not
> > occur again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal?
> > All silly comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

> Such noises can be as a resut of malware on your computer.
>
> To save re-inventing the wheel, here is some excellent advice from
> someone I trust:-
>
> Viz:-
>
> Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with
> the
> following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for
> this):
>
> SuperAntiSpywarehttp://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> MalwareByteshttp://www.malwarebytes.com/
>
> After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing
> whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall these products,
> if you wish.
>
> Download and run the MSRT manually:http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>
> Reboot.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
>
> _____________________________________
>
> HTH
> --
> Dave

Yes it could well be malware, only the programmes you linked but wont
run on win98. Anyway I'll run my Spybot and see what happens.

~BD~

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Yes it could well be malware, only the programmes you linked but wont
> run on win98. Anyway I'll run my Spybot and see what happens.

<gulp> Win 98, eh?

Good luck!

--
Dave