Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: P&S sellers getting desperate

Re: P&S sellers getting desperate

Rich

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:05:18 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Wrongly spec'd is how I'd describe both these cameras. First one, with a
> >huge high rez LCD, yet a dogcrap 1/2.33 sensor. Second one, seems to show
> >the face of the typical P&S user on the front of it. Desperate times...
> >
> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09...sungst1000.asp
> >
> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09...st550st500.asp

> Desperate? ....
>
> The only thing I see desperate is someone who feels the need
> to attack a purchase or preference in order to self justify their
> own purchase or preference.
>
> Sounds to me like someone has some issues they need to deal with.

I don't think anyone has to attack a P&S to justify using a DSLR, they
are so far apart there is no reason to compare them directly. P&S's
for the most part now are marketed to a group who...don't really care
about image quality, the kind for whom the first recourse to take
images is their camera phone. Which is why the P&S market will and is
dying.

Rich - Quit Trolling With Your Blatant Ignorance

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 01:41:05 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:05:18 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Wrongly spec'd is how I'd describe both these cameras. First one, with a
>> >huge high rez LCD, yet a dogcrap 1/2.33 sensor. Second one, seems to show
>> >the face of the typical P&S user on the front of it. Desperate times...
>> >
>> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09...sungst1000.asp
>> >
>> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09...st550st500.asp

>> Desperate? ....
>>
>> The only thing I see desperate is someone who feels the need
>> to attack a purchase or preference in order to self justify their
>> own purchase or preference.
>>
>> Sounds to me like someone has some issues they need to deal with.

>I don't think anyone has to attack a P&S to justify using a DSLR, they
>are so far apart there is no reason to compare them directly. P&S's
>for the most part now are marketed to a group who...don't really care
>about image quality, the kind for whom the first recourse to take
>images is their camera phone. Which is why the P&S market will and is
>dying.

You mean how a P&S camera even rivals the image quality from a
medium-format Hasselblad, something that no DLSR can even begin to hope to
do?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

Like that?

Or how about a super-zoom P&S camera that easily surpasses a simple to make
3x zoom lens on a contemporary DSLR in resolution and CA performance.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca..._results.shtml

Like that?

Ray Fischer

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> The only thing I see desperate is someone who feels the need
>> to attack a purchase or preference in order to self justify their
>> own purchase or preference.
>>
>> Sounds to me like someone has some issues they need to deal with.

>I don't think anyone has to attack a P&S to justify using a DSLR, they
>are so far apart there is no reason to compare them directly. P&S's
>for the most part now are marketed to a group who...don't really care
>about image quality, the kind for whom the first recourse to take
>images is their camera phone.

Of course, you're also in that category, since you really don't care
about image quality, preferring instead a much cheaper and smaller
sensor than that available on a medium-format dSLR.

> Which is why the P&S market will and is
>dying.

You're an idiot if you believe that.

--
Ray Fischer

Ray Fischer

Rich - Quit Trolling With Your Blatant Ignorance <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>You mean how a P&S camera even rivals the image quality from a
>medium-format Hasselblad,

Lay off the drugs, troll.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Twibil

On Aug 15, 2:36*am, Rich - Quit Trolling With Your Blatant Ignorance
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You mean how a P&S camera even rivals the image quality from a
> medium-format Hasselblad,

Yes, in the same sense that a flea "rivals" an elephant.

(Hint: "rivals" doesn't mean what you seem to think it does.)

Rich

Ray Fischer wrote:
> Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> >> The only thing I see desperate is someone who feels the need
> >> to attack a purchase or preference in order to self justify their
> >> own purchase or preference.
> >>
> >> Sounds to me like someone has some issues they need to deal with.

> >I don't think anyone has to attack a P&S to justify using a DSLR, they
> >are so far apart there is no reason to compare them directly. P&S's
> >for the most part now are marketed to a group who...don't really care
> >about image quality, the kind for whom the first recourse to take
> >images is their camera phone.

> Of course, you're also in that category, since you really don't care
> about image quality, preferring instead a much cheaper and smaller
> sensor than that available on a medium-format dSLR.
>
> > Which is why the P&S market will and is
> >dying.

> You're an idiot if you believe that.
>
> --
> Ray Fischer
> (E-Mail Removed)

Camera phones will kill P&S's at some point.

Jim...(8-|

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:20:24 -0700 (PDT), Twibil
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Aug 15, 2:36*am, Rich - Quit Trolling With Your Blatant Ignorance
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> You mean how a P&S camera even rivals the image quality from a
>> medium-format Hasselblad,

>Yes, in the same sense that a flea "rivals" an elephant.
>
>(Hint: "rivals" doesn't mean what you seem to think it does.)

Maybe you'd better explain then as I and i'm sure others too are
baffled.
That luminance website shows two virtually identical photos side by
side, one made by a lowly P&S and the other by a camera costing as
much as a mortgage.
We all know the law of physics will result in better low light
performance with a larger sensor but how much of what is said here is
just badge engineering like the car world uses to have people believe
a Ferrari is a better car than a Hyundai.

Ray Fischer

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >I don't think anyone has to attack a P&S to justify using a DSLR, they
>> >are so far apart there is no reason to compare them directly. P&S's
>> >for the most part now are marketed to a group who...don't really care
>> >about image quality, the kind for whom the first recourse to take
>> >images is their camera phone.

>> Of course, you're also in that category, since you really don't care
>> about image quality, preferring instead a much cheaper and smaller
>> sensor than that available on a medium-format dSLR.
>>
>> > Which is why the P&S market will and is
>> >dying.

>> You're an idiot if you believe that.

>Camera phones will kill P&S's at some point.

After all, how hard can it be to fit a flash and a zoom lens into a
small cell phone?

And yes, that is sarcasm.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Chris Malcolm

"Jim...(8-| " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:20:24 -0700 (PDT), Twibil
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>On Aug 15, 2:36am, Rich - Quit Trolling With Your Blatant Ignorance
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> You mean how a P&S camera even rivals the image quality from a
>>> medium-format Hasselblad,

>>Yes, in the same sense that a flea "rivals" an elephant.
>>
>>(Hint: "rivals" doesn't mean what you seem to think it does.)

> Maybe you'd better explain then as I and i'm sure others too are
> baffled.
> That luminance website shows two virtually identical photos side by
> side, one made by a lowly P&S and the other by a camera costing as
> much as a mortgage.

If you actually read that article you will find it explained. Clue:
that article doesn't in fact show what most of those who love to cite
it think it does. In this newsgroup it mostly shows that people don't
bother to read what they cite

--
Chris Malcolm

dj_nme

Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <4a87abd7$0$1639$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Fischer
> says...
>> After all, how hard can it be to fit a flash and a zoom lens into a
>> small cell phone?

> There are camera phones with a flash, but not with a zoom lens.

There is always the add-on after-market one:
http://mobile.brando.com/telescope_c...op_by=category