Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How soon before NZ Phone and Internet collapse?

How soon before NZ Phone and Internet collapse?

news.datemas.de

Interesting conversation with a Telecom tech today.
(One of the one's being hived off to the Aussy outfit that only offers self
employed Contracts)
I gather the change over is imminent and 'none' of the key backbone staff
are taking up the Contracts.
The comment 'the Manager is defecating himself' was rather telling.

Looks like the Politician's have finally had their privatisation chickens
come home to roost.
AFAIK Chorus and the other sub Contractors are all private enterprises.
The Tech's are no therefore not state employee's.
Therefore they can not be forced to carry on doing the work as you could
force police or military.

The feeling I got was the key personnell involved are quite happy to retire,
emigrate, or change career.
Coughing up hundreds of thousands of dollars each for test equipment for an
income much the same as they get now just doesn't make economic sense.

We all thought Gatting was a dimwit, seems Reynolds is not that much
brighter.

Paul.

peterwn

On Aug 15, 4:30*pm, "news.datemas.de" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The feeling I got was the key personnell involved are quite happy to retire,
> emigrate, or change career.
> Coughing up hundreds of thousands of dollars each *for test equipment for an
> income much the same as they get now just doesn't make economic sense.

Will be interesting to watch this one. Telecom probably thinks it can
'tough it out' - to hell if they cannot connect people or fix faults
reasonably quickly. Trouble is, while Telecom appears to have a
monopoly, over a larghe portion of the customer base, other options
are now available. One firm had to delay an office shift because of
industrial action associated with this - in some cases they can sign
up with TelstraClear's downtown or commercial centre networks.

For residentials, customers can get their phones and internet from
Vodafone (or TelstraClear in Wellington or Christchurch) and even if
they do this as a temporary expedient, they may never get around to
getting a Telecom service.

Enkidu

peterwn wrote:
> On Aug 15, 4:30 pm, "news.datemas.de" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The feeling I got was the key personnell involved are quite happy to retire,
>> emigrate, or change career.
>> Coughing up hundreds of thousands of dollars each for test equipment for an
>> income much the same as they get now just doesn't make economic sense.

> Will be interesting to watch this one. Telecom probably thinks it can
> 'tough it out' - to hell if they cannot connect people or fix faults
> reasonably quickly. Trouble is, while Telecom appears to have a
> monopoly, over a larghe portion of the customer base, other options
> are now available. One firm had to delay an office shift because of
> industrial action associated with this - in some cases they can sign
> up with TelstraClear's downtown or commercial centre networks.
>
> For residentials, customers can get their phones and internet from
> Vodafone (or TelstraClear in Wellington or Christchurch) and even if
> they do this as a temporary expedient, they may never get around to
> getting a Telecom service.

You think Telecom is bad? If TelstraClear were to get the upper hand it
would be 10 times worse. Imagine what it would be like in two to three
years with NO Telecom and Vodafone a mere wart on TC's back.

Cheers,

Cliff

victor

Enkidu wrote:
> peterwn wrote:
>> On Aug 15, 4:30 pm, "news.datemas.de" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> The feeling I got was the key personnell involved are quite happy to
>>> retire,
>>> emigrate, or change career.
>>> Coughing up hundreds of thousands of dollars each for test equipment
>>> for an
>>> income much the same as they get now just doesn't make economic sense.

>> Will be interesting to watch this one. Telecom probably thinks it can
>> 'tough it out' - to hell if they cannot connect people or fix faults
>> reasonably quickly. Trouble is, while Telecom appears to have a
>> monopoly, over a larghe portion of the customer base, other options
>> are now available. One firm had to delay an office shift because of
>> industrial action associated with this - in some cases they can sign
>> up with TelstraClear's downtown or commercial centre networks.
>>
>> For residentials, customers can get their phones and internet from
>> Vodafone (or TelstraClear in Wellington or Christchurch) and even if
>> they do this as a temporary expedient, they may never get around to
>> getting a Telecom service.
> >

> You think Telecom is bad? If TelstraClear were to get the upper hand it
> would be 10 times worse. Imagine what it would be like in two to three
> years with NO Telecom and Vodafone a mere wart on TC's back.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Why 10 times worse, why not 1000 or 10000, if you are pulling figures
out of your arse, you could at least make them impressive.

Enkidu

victor wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>> peterwn wrote:

>>> Will be interesting to watch this one. Telecom probably thinks it can
>>> 'tough it out' - to hell if they cannot connect people or fix faults
>>> reasonably quickly. Trouble is, while Telecom appears to have a
>>> monopoly, over a larghe portion of the customer base, other options
>>> are now available. One firm had to delay an office shift because of
>>> industrial action associated with this - in some cases they can sign
>>> up with TelstraClear's downtown or commercial centre networks.
>>>
>>> For residentials, customers can get their phones and internet from
>>> Vodafone (or TelstraClear in Wellington or Christchurch) and even if
>>> they do this as a temporary expedient, they may never get around to
>>> getting a Telecom service.
>> >

>> You think Telecom is bad? If TelstraClear were to get the upper hand
>> it would be 10 times worse. Imagine what it would be like in two to
>> three years with NO Telecom and Vodafone a mere wart on TC's back.

> Why 10 times worse, why not 1000 or 10000, if you are pulling figures
> out of your arse, you could at least make them impressive.

Fine. Ignore the signs. In Australian there was competition but
TelstraClear monstered AAPT (aka NZ Telecom's Australian arm). Should
they throw the whole resources of TelstraClear against NZ Telecom then
Telecom would be gone.

Cheers,

Cliff

Bruce Sinclair

In article <h665if$5s6$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Enkidu wrote:
>> peterwn wrote:

>>> Will be interesting to watch this one. Telecom probably thinks it can
>>> 'tough it out' - to hell if they cannot connect people or fix faults
>>> reasonably quickly. Trouble is, while Telecom appears to have a
>>> monopoly, over a larghe portion of the customer base, other options
>>> are now available. One firm had to delay an office shift because of
>>> industrial action associated with this - in some cases they can sign
>>> up with TelstraClear's downtown or commercial centre networks.
>>>
>>> For residentials, customers can get their phones and internet from
>>> Vodafone (or TelstraClear in Wellington or Christchurch) and even if
>>> they do this as a temporary expedient, they may never get around to
>>> getting a Telecom service.
>> >

>> You think Telecom is bad? If TelstraClear were to get the upper hand it
>> would be 10 times worse. Imagine what it would be like in two to three
>> years with NO Telecom and Vodafone a mere wart on TC's back.

>Why 10 times worse, why not 1000 or 10000, if you are pulling figures
>out of your arse, you could at least make them impressive.

Because ... 64.27 % of statistics are made up on the spot.