Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > IE8 broken?

IE8 broken?

Nighthawk

I don't use XP or Vista and certainly won't use IE. But a neighbour
of mine, with XP, said he had accepted some updates and now IE8 won't
start or starts and closes after error messages. I uninstalled two
IE8 updates but it still won't start. He isn't sure what version he
had previously, IE7 or 8. But this seems to be a common problem with
both XP and Vista. Anyone here encountered this?

I installed the latest Firefox which imported all his favourites and
cookies and he is happy as Larry with that.

Max Burke

Nighthawk wrote:
> I don't use XP or Vista and certainly won't use IE. But a neighbour
> of mine, with XP, said he had accepted some updates and now IE8 won't
> start or starts and closes after error messages. I uninstalled two
> IE8 updates but it still won't start. He isn't sure what version he
> had previously, IE7 or 8. But this seems to be a common problem with
> both XP and Vista. Anyone here encountered this?

No.

Found Images

Woger

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 22:27:15 +1200, Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't use XP or Vista and certainly won't use IE. But a neighbour
>of mine, with XP, said he had accepted some updates and now IE8 won't
>start or starts and closes after error messages. I uninstalled two
>IE8 updates but it still won't start. He isn't sure what version he
>had previously, IE7 or 8. But this seems to be a common problem with
>both XP and Vista. Anyone here encountered this?
>
>I installed the latest Firefox which imported all his favourites and
>cookies and he is happy as Larry with that.

I have no real problems with IE8 except for the slow tabbing problem that I
get, drops tabs.

Running XP SP3

Nighthawk

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:25:55 +1200, "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I don't use XP or Vista and certainly won't use IE. But a neighbour
>> of mine, with XP, said he had accepted some updates and now IE8 won't
>> start or starts and closes after error messages. I uninstalled two
>> IE8 updates but it still won't start. He isn't sure what version he
>> had previously, IE7 or 8. But this seems to be a common problem with
>> both XP and Vista. Anyone here encountered this?
>>
>> I installed the latest Firefox which imported all his favourites and
>> cookies and he is happy as Larry with that.
>>

>Does it say anything in the event log about what happened? Are all updates
>installed on the machine?

His XP automatic updates is enabled. Haven't looked at the log, but
it does seem to be a common problem with IE8 on XP and Vista.

EMB

Nighthawk wrote:
> His XP automatic updates is enabled. Haven't looked at the log, but
> it does seem to be a common problem with IE8 on XP and Vista.

Common problem - how so? We've had no significant installation problems
across about 900 machines.

Nighthawk

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 10:13:17 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nighthawk wrote:
>> His XP automatic updates is enabled. Haven't looked at the log, but
>> it does seem to be a common problem with IE8 on XP and Vista.
>>

>Common problem - how so? We've had no significant installation problems
>across about 900 machines.

Google?

Nighthawk

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:35:51 +1200, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Nighthawk wrote:
>>>

>> His XP automatic updates is enabled. Haven't looked at the log, but
>> it does seem to be a common problem with IE8 on XP and Vista.

>WQell there are a hell of a lot of IE8s that seem tto work just fine, so
>presumably there is something specific about his system that is stuffed up.
>

>Has he tried uninstalling and reinstallling ? Doing a RegClean (google it)
>in-between time ? Uninstalling any no-mainstream browser plugins ?
>

>geoff

He has an 'out-of-the-box' system, used exclusively for email, a
little browsing and a little word processing (on a fast dual-core CPU
with 3 gigs of RAM), hasn't installed anything else at all. It was
after accepting some updates that IE8 stopped working, as many others
have found. I uninstalled the updates for IE8 but haven't uninstalled
the browser yet until I find out more. In forums I see that some have
reverted back to IE7 because of this. There is no urgency as he is
happy with the Firefox 3.5.2 I installed for him.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nighthawk wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:35:51 +1200, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Nighthawk wrote:
>>>>
>>> His XP automatic updates is enabled. Haven't looked at the log, but
>>> it does seem to be a common problem with IE8 on XP and Vista.

>> WQell there are a hell of a lot of IE8s that seem tto work just
>> fine, so presumably there is something specific about his system
>> that is stuffed up.
>>

>> Has he tried uninstalling and reinstallling ? Doing a RegClean
>> (google it) in-between time ? Uninstalling any no-mainstream browser
>> plugins ?
>>

>> geoff
>>

> He has an 'out-of-the-box' system, used exclusively for email, a
> little browsing and a little word processing (on a fast dual-core CPU
> with 3 gigs of RAM), hasn't installed anything else at all. It was
> after accepting some updates that IE8 stopped working, as many others
> have found. I uninstalled the updates for IE8 but haven't uninstalled
> the browser yet until I find out more. In forums I see that some have
> reverted back to IE7 because of this. There is no urgency as he is
> happy with the Firefox 3.5.2 I installed for him.

It could have something to do with a customised version of IE maybe? The IE
that came with this ThinkPad T60 has "Lenovo" on the right-hand side of the
top of IE. When I updated to IE 7 it broke but when I went to IE 8 (and
downloaded updates from Lenovo) all's well again.

Just a thought....
--
Shaun.

impossible

"Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:25:55 +1200, "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>I don't use XP or Vista and certainly won't use IE. But a neighbour
>>> of mine, with XP, said he had accepted some updates and now IE8 won't
>>> start or starts and closes after error messages. I uninstalled two
>>> IE8 updates but it still won't start. He isn't sure what version he
>>> had previously, IE7 or 8. But this seems to be a common problem with
>>> both XP and Vista. Anyone here encountered this?
>>>
>>> I installed the latest Firefox which imported all his favourites and
>>> cookies and he is happy as Larry with that.
>>>

>>Does it say anything in the event log about what happened? Are all updates
>>installed on the machine?
>>

> His XP automatic updates is enabled. Haven't looked at the log, but
> it does seem to be a common problem with IE8 on XP and Vista.

Reference for that? You being a freetard troll who "certainly won't use IE"
yourself, it would be good to know how useless you've been at googling
solutions.

ie8!=ie8 cecile Javascript 2 05-24-2010 09:04 AM
Re: Advantages of IE8/64 over IE8/32 PA Bear [MS MVP] Windows 64bit 0 08-17-2009 09:43 PM
Microsoft's newly launched IE8 beta download smithorsilvia@gmail.com Computer Support 4 03-07-2008 04:37 AM
Microsoft's newly launched IE8 beta download shsha Java 0 03-06-2008 09:07 PM
Upcoming IE8 passes Acid2 test Mickey Mouse NZ Computing 22 12-28-2007 12:42 AM

Advertisments