Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JVM Options

JVM Options

markspace

I found this list of JVM options, I thought some other folks might be
interested.

<http://blogs.sun.com/watt/resource/jvm-options-list.html>

Lew

markspace wrote:
> I found this list of JVM options, I thought some other folks might be
> interested.
>
> <http://blogs.sun.com/watt/resource/jvm-options-list.html>

It's not quite all the way up to date. Two recently-introduced favorites are
"-XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis" and "-XX:+UseCompressedOops", not yet listed at the
above link. Nevertheless a very useful site.

--
Lew

Roedy Green

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 23:19:55 -0400, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,

>It's not quite all the way up to date. Two recently-introduced favorites are
>"-XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis" and "-XX:+UseCompressedOops", not yet listed at the
>above link. Nevertheless a very useful site.

I was puzzled about UseCompressedOops, and googled to discover it is
only part of the "performance release". It is not documented on the
usual page:

file://localhost/J:/Program%20Files/java/jdk1.6.0_16/docs/technotes/tools/windows/java.html

How did you stumble on this, and how does one get a "performance
release"?.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"If you think itís expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
~ Red Adair (born: 1915-06-18 died: 2004-08-07 at age: 89)

markspace

Roedy Green wrote:

> How did you stumble on this, and how does one get a "performance
> release"?.

It looks like a performance release is a regular release of Java, just
with no new features. It only contains things to improve performance.

http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/performance.jsp

Performance releases are rolled up into the next feature release, iiuc.

Lew

On Aug 13, 10:08*am, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 23:19:55 -0400, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,
>

> >It's not quite all the way up to date. *Two recently-introduced favorites are
> >"-XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis" and "-XX:+UseCompressedOops", not yet listed at the
> >above link. *Nevertheless a very useful site.

> I was puzzled about UseCompressedOops, and googled to discover it is
> only part of the "performance release". *It is not documented on the
> usual page:
>
> file://localhost/J:/Program%20Files/java/jdk1.6.0_16/docs/technotes/tools/windows/java.html
>
> How did you stumble on this, and how does one get a "performance
> release"?.

I stumbled upon it by doin a regular Java upgrade with the next 0_xx
version came out; I believe it was 1.6.0_14. I found out about the
options by reading the release notes, strangely enough.

--
Lew

Roedy Green

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:32:00 -0700 (PDT), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>

>I stumbled upon it by doin a regular Java upgrade with the next 0_xx
>version came out; I believe it was 1.6.0_14. I found out about the
>options by reading the release notes, strangely enough.

I found it at http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u14.html
It was documented in those _14 release notes, but I can't find any
mention of it in the latest JDK.

Anyway, I have added them both to the list at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javaexe.html