Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Did Nathan Mercer Ever Pay Up?

Did Nathan Mercer Ever Pay Up?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

On this wager
<http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/e4338c4425da424c>.

And while we're on Famous Last Words:
<http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/1129cd55159c9156>.

JohnO

On Aug 12, 11:46*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> On this wager
> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/e4338c4425da424c>.

Eh? He offered a bet on whether "it it will in time become the default
browser of choice. "

But you then attempted to change the bet to "Firefox/Mozilla will
maintain or increase market share over
the next 12 months".

How dishonest of you.

So, has F/M become the "default browser of choice"? I think not. When
will you be paying up, weasel?

On Aug 12, 1:21*pm, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 11:46*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> > On this wager
> > <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/e4338c4425da424c>.

> Eh? He offered a bet on whether "it it will in time become the default
> browser of choice. "
>
> But you then attempted to change the bet to "Firefox/Mozilla will
> maintain or increase market share over
> the next 12 months".
>
> How dishonest of you.
>
> So, has F/M become the "default browser of choice"? I think not. When
> will you be paying up, weasel?
>

> > And while we're on Famous Last Words:
> > <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/1129cd55159c9156>.

Well, not you... "cheetah' whoever that is.

impossible

news:h5svtb$uc4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On this wager
> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/e4338c4425da424c>.

Typical Larry D'Loser con job -- No, Firefox/Mozilla has NOT become the
default browser of choice, just as Nathan predicted.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/brow...e.aspx?qprid=0

> And while we're on Famous Last Words:
> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/1129cd55159c9156>.

Typical Larry D'Loser con job -- No, 5 years on, IE remains the browser of
choice by a wide margin, just as I predicted.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/brow...e.aspx?qprid=0

impossible

"Donchano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 01:25:29 GMT, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>Typical Larry D'Loser con job -- No, 5 years on, IE remains the browser of
>>choice by a wide margin, just as I predicted.

> Of choice or by default due to ignornace and/or laziness.

The majority is stupi", right? Is that all you've got?

impossible

"Donchano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:21:26 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>On Aug 12, 11:46 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>>central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>>> On this wager
>>> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/e4338c4425da424c>.

>>Eh? He offered a bet on whether "it it will in time become the default
>>browser of choice. "

> Speaking of choice, I have a good friend who used to be a successful
> web designer eight years ago. But he downright refused to make his
> designs compatible with Firefox even though FF held around ten percent
> of the market and I had statistics that showed something like 15% of
> the browsers used to visit my websites were FF.
>
> We had many discussions about this. Some heated - especially since he
> preferred to use Firefox himself. But no. He stuck by his guns ....
> and started losing clients right, left and centre. After all, he was
> ignoring 10% of THEIR potential customers.
>
> He's still a top graphic designer, and 3D animator, but the web design
> part of his business is long gone. Silly boy ...

Your friend is a top graphic designer and 3D animator who couldn't be
bothered with your ideological crusade on behalf of Firefox. Gee, what a
surprise.

Matty F

On Aug 12, 1:25 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Typical Larry D'Loser con job -- No, 5 years on, IE remains the browser of
> choice by a wide margin, just as I predicted.

How would anyone know what browser people are using?
I have Opera configured to pretend that it's IE, otherwise Xtra/Yahoo
mail doesn't work. Xtra/Yahoo allow only IE & Firefox. Their websites
work perfectly well with Opera.
Besides IE is used by many people who know nothing about computers,
and IE is on their machine already.

Matty F

On Aug 12, 6:29 pm, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:05:57 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
> <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>

> >How would anyone know what browser people are using?

> Simple. All I have to do is look at my web statistics to see exactly
> what browser people are using to visit my websites. Last time I looked
> a few minutes ago Firefox accounted for around 28%. and MSIE just over
> 60%.
>
> The top 6 browsers were:
>
> 1. MSIE
> 2. FIrefox
> 3. Safari
> 4. Netscape (compatible)
> 5. Mozilla
> 6. Opera

You seem to have missed my point. I said "I have Opera configured to
pretend that it's IE "
Therefore your statistics are wrong. The IE statistics include all the
other browsers that are pretending to be IE because of the moronic
sites that test for other browsers an won''t allow them.
e.g. Xtra/Yahoo mail.

victor

Donchano wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:05:57 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
> <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>> How would anyone know what browser people are using?

> Simple. All I have to do is look at my web statistics to see exactly
> what browser people are using to visit my websites. Last time I looked
> a few minutes ago Firefox accounted for around 28%. and MSIE just over
> 60%.
>
> The top 6 browsers were:
>
> 1. MSIE
> 2. FIrefox
> 3. Safari
> 4. Netscape (compatible)
> 5. Mozilla
> 6. Opera
> .

Opera does quite a lot better in the Net Applications survey.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10303614-92.html
So does Google Chrome.
Is your site targeted at slow adopters ?

impossible

"Matty F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Aug 12, 1:25 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Typical Larry D'Loser con job -- No, 5 years on, IE remains the browser
>> of
>> choice by a wide margin, just as I predicted.

> How would anyone know what browser people are using?

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/brow...e.aspx?qprid=0

The research methodology is clearly explained on that site.