Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > [SI] Rulz

[SI] Rulz

Eric Stevens

I'm a newcomer around here and I'm scratching my head over exactly how
it is submissions to a mandate actually work.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage says "Once the photos are posted
.... " i.e. photos - plural.

It goes on to say "Posting of alternate shots (beyond the number
allowed above) ... ". I may be blind, but I couldn't see any 'number
allowed', so how many are allowed?

The lines I have just quoted go on to say "Posting of alternate shots
(beyond the number allowed above) is encouraged for further
discussion, however you must post these at the website of your choice
and post the link at r.p.e.35mm. (Please use the prefix [SI] when you
post SI comments)." Do I take it that these may be part of the post-in
but won't appear on the PBase gallery page?

I would be grateful if somebody could explain whether or not multiple
entries are permitted and how this all works.

Eric Stevens

tony cooper

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:50:32 +1200, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm a newcomer around here and I'm scratching my head over exactly how
>it is submissions to a mandate actually work.
>
>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage says "Once the photos are posted
>... " i.e. photos - plural.
>
>It goes on to say "Posting of alternate shots (beyond the number
>allowed above) ... ". I may be blind, but I couldn't see any 'number
>allowed', so how many are allowed?
>
>The lines I have just quoted go on to say "Posting of alternate shots
>(beyond the number allowed above) is encouraged for further
>discussion, however you must post these at the website of your choice
>and post the link at r.p.e.35mm. (Please use the prefix [SI] when you
>post SI comments)." Do I take it that these may be part of the post-in
>but won't appear on the PBase gallery page?
>
>I would be grateful if somebody could explain whether or not multiple
>entries are permitted and how this all works.

We already have a blind photographer contributing to the photo
newsgroups. We don't need you as a back-up.

On the page you linked to: "Anyone may be a participant, there is no
entry form, no entry fee. A participant may submit three photos per
mandate and may jump in at any time over the course of the round."

That firmly, absolutely, and most assuredly establishes that a
participant can submit one, two, or three photos per mandate.

You can submit zero photos per mandate, but - if you do - you must
follow-up with a post whining and moaning about how lackluster and
uninspiring the mandate was, and how you could take sixty-leven photos
with the FAB 5D2 that fit the mandate if you really wanted to. Not
submitting seriously jeopardizes your standing as a participant.

If you have never taken a photograph in your life, and wish to decline
to submit what you have not taken, then you must contribute a series
of posts that allege that PBase is a conspiracy of evil and that
right-thinking people are obliged to avoid it.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Eric Stevens

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:31:58 -0400, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:50:32 +1200, Eric Stevens
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm a newcomer around here and I'm scratching my head over exactly how
>>it is submissions to a mandate actually work.
>>
>>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage says "Once the photos are posted
>>... " i.e. photos - plural.
>>
>>It goes on to say "Posting of alternate shots (beyond the number
>>allowed above) ... ". I may be blind, but I couldn't see any 'number
>>allowed', so how many are allowed?
>>
>>The lines I have just quoted go on to say "Posting of alternate shots
>>(beyond the number allowed above) is encouraged for further
>>discussion, however you must post these at the website of your choice
>>and post the link at r.p.e.35mm. (Please use the prefix [SI] when you
>>post SI comments)." Do I take it that these may be part of the post-in
>>but won't appear on the PBase gallery page?
>>
>>I would be grateful if somebody could explain whether or not multiple
>>entries are permitted and how this all works.

>We already have a blind photographer contributing to the photo
>newsgroups. We don't need you as a back-up.

You left out the smiley. But thanks just the same. That's the
information I need.

>On the page you linked to: "Anyone may be a participant, there is no
>entry form, no entry fee. A participant may submit three photos per
>mandate and may jump in at any time over the course of the round."
>
>That firmly, absolutely, and most assuredly establishes that a
>participant can submit one, two, or three photos per mandate.
>
>You can submit zero photos per mandate, but - if you do - you must
>follow-up with a post whining and moaning about how lackluster and
>uninspiring the mandate was, and how you could take sixty-leven photos
>with the FAB 5D2 that fit the mandate if you really wanted to. Not
>submitting seriously jeopardizes your standing as a participant.
>
>If you have never taken a photograph in your life, and wish to decline
>to submit what you have not taken, then you must contribute a series
>of posts that allege that PBase is a conspiracy of evil and that
>right-thinking people are obliged to avoid it.

Eric Stevens

tony cooper

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:07:10 +1200, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:31:58 -0400, tony cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:50:32 +1200, Eric Stevens
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm a newcomer around here and I'm scratching my head over exactly how
>>>it is submissions to a mandate actually work.
>>>
>>>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage says "Once the photos are posted
>>>... " i.e. photos - plural.
>>>
>>>It goes on to say "Posting of alternate shots (beyond the number
>>>allowed above) ... ". I may be blind, but I couldn't see any 'number
>>>allowed', so how many are allowed?
>>>
>>>The lines I have just quoted go on to say "Posting of alternate shots
>>>(beyond the number allowed above) is encouraged for further
>>>discussion, however you must post these at the website of your choice
>>>and post the link at r.p.e.35mm. (Please use the prefix [SI] when you
>>>post SI comments)." Do I take it that these may be part of the post-in
>>>but won't appear on the PBase gallery page?
>>>
>>>I would be grateful if somebody could explain whether or not multiple
>>>entries are permitted and how this all works.

>>We already have a blind photographer contributing to the photo
>>newsgroups. We don't need you as a back-up.

>You left out the smiley. But thanks just the same. That's the
>information I need.

I don't do emoticons. Anyone who can't tell the difference between a
good natured wind-up and a rude reply can leave with their horse.

If you want to get a feel for what has been done in past Shoot-Ins,
check out: http://www.pbase.com/shootin

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Robert Coe

: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: >On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:50:32 +1200, Eric Stevens
: ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >
: >>I'm a newcomer around here and I'm scratching my head over exactly how
: >>it is submissions to a mandate actually work.
: >>
[...]

Smileys? We ain't got no smileys. We don't need no smileys! We don't have to
show you any steenking smileys!!

Bob
(old enough to think that ToSM is still one of the best movies ever made)

tony cooper

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:26:54 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:07:10 +1200, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>: On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:31:58 -0400, tony cooper
>: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:
>: >On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:50:32 +1200, Eric Stevens
>: ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: >
>: >>I'm a newcomer around here and I'm scratching my head over exactly how
>: >>it is submissions to a mandate actually work.
>: >>
>: >>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage says "Once the photos are posted
>: >>... " i.e. photos - plural.
>: >>
>: >>It goes on to say "Posting of alternate shots (beyond the number
>: >>allowed above) ... ". I may be blind, but I couldn't see any 'number
>: >>allowed', so how many are allowed?
>: >>
>: >>The lines I have just quoted go on to say "Posting of alternate shots
>: >>(beyond the number allowed above) is encouraged for further
>: >>discussion, however you must post these at the website of your choice
>: >>and post the link at r.p.e.35mm. (Please use the prefix [SI] when you
>: >>post SI comments)." Do I take it that these may be part of the post-in
>: >>but won't appear on the PBase gallery page?
>: >>
>: >>I would be grateful if somebody could explain whether or not multiple
>: >>entries are permitted and how this all works.
>: >
>: >We already have a blind photographer contributing to the photo
>: >newsgroups. We don't need you as a back-up.
>:
>: You left out the smiley. But thanks just the same. That's the
>: information I need.
>
>Smileys? We ain't got no smileys. We don't need no smileys! We don't have to
>show you any steenking smileys!!
>
>Bob
>(old enough to think that ToSM is still one of the best movies ever made)

It was a treasure, I'll grant you that.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida