Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't open folders and drives

Can't open folders and drives

Rajinder Nijjhar

Hi,

In my computer, I used to see the drives as yellow coloured like those of
the folders but now they are looking black. When I click them, they take me
to browser search page instead of the documents.

If I right lick the drive or main folders, then press open, it would open.
What shall I do to put it right to the original settings?

I used XP Pro.

Rajinder

Rajinder Nijjhar

"Tocino8r" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <bemgm.173647$(E-Mail Removed)2>,
> "Rajinder Nijjhar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In my computer, I used to see the drives as yellow coloured like those of
>> the folders but now they are looking black. When I click them, they take
>> me
>> to browser search page instead of the documents.
>>
>> If I right lick the drive or main folders, then press open, it would
>> open.
>> What shall I do to put it right to the original settings?
>>
>> I used XP Pro.
>>
>> Rajinder

> switch to a Macintosh

Thanks.

Rajinder

Dan C

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 23:26:13 +0100, Rajinder Nijjhar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In my computer, I used to see the drives as yellow coloured like those
> of the folders but now they are looking black. When I click them, they
> take me to browser search page instead of the documents.
>
> If I right lick the drive or main folders, then press open, it would
> open. What shall I do to put it right to the original settings?

You'll need to format your hard drive. Might even be good to do it twice.

> I used XP Pro.

Not a good thing to do.

Need help? -- http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/ubuntu.jpg
Get a job! -- http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/republican.jpg

Buffalo

Tocino8r wrote:
>>> Rajinder

> switch to a Macintosh

If you are a typical Mac user, you really do them a mis=favor by replying
like that.
Jerk!!
PS: You do no good, just harm

Do yourself a favor and have yourself fixed so that you will not propagate.

Buffalo

Dan C wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 23:26:13 +0100, Rajinder Nijjhar wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In my computer, I used to see the drives as yellow coloured like
>> those of the folders but now they are looking black. When I click
>> them, they take me to browser search page instead of the documents.
>>
>> If I right lick the drive or main folders, then press open, it would
>> open. What shall I do to put it right to the original settings?

> You'll need to format your hard drive. Might even be good to do it
> twice.
>
>> I used XP Pro.

> Not a good thing to do.

Another A-Hole response by Dan C.

Dan C

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 19:41:12 -0600, Buffalo wrote:

> Dan C wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 23:26:13 +0100, Rajinder Nijjhar wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In my computer, I used to see the drives as yellow coloured like those
>>> of the folders but now they are looking black. When I click them,
>>> they take me to browser search page instead of the documents.
>>>
>>> If I right lick the drive or main folders, then press open, it would
>>> open. What shall I do to put it right to the original settings?

>> You'll need to format your hard drive. Might even be good to do it
>> twice.
>>
>>> I used XP Pro.

>> Not a good thing to do.

> Another A-Hole response by Dan C.

It's the correct response to his problem, and you know it.

Bugger off, dimwit.

Dan C wrote:
>> Another A-Hole response by Dan C.

> It's the correct response to his problem, and you know it.
>
> Bugger off, dimwit.

Still clueless and still an adolesent jerk.
Go play with yourself: then see if a format works.

Dan C

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:30:37 -0600, Buffalo wrote:

> Dan C wrote:
>>> Another A-Hole response by Dan C.

>> It's the correct response to his problem, and you know it.
>>
>> Bugger off, dimwit.

> Still clueless and still an adolesent jerk.

Nope, and not even close.

> Go play with yourself: then see if a format works.

I know it works.

Bugger off, dimwit.

Need help? -- http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/ubuntu.jpg
Get a job! -- http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/republican.jpg

Caulfield Man

Rajinder Nijjhar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my computer, I used to see the drives as yellow coloured like those of
> the folders but now they are looking black. When I click them, they take me
> to browser search page instead of the documents.
>
> If I right lick the drive or main folders, then press open, it would open.
> What shall I do to put it right to the original settings?
>
> I used XP Pro.
>
> Rajinder

Lucky you have great backups, don't you?

Restore Windows to an earlier point when it worked and then restore your
files.

Diabolic Preacher

On 8/12/2009 3:56 AM, Rajinder Nijjhar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my computer, I used to see the drives as yellow coloured like those of
> the folders but now they are looking black. When I click them, they take me
> to browser search page instead of the documents.
>
> If I right lick the drive or main folders, then press open, it would open.
> What shall I do to put it right to the original settings?
>
> I used XP Pro.
>
> Rajinder

Don't drives have those disk icons? They may be black because the icon
cache maybe corrupt. I only remeber TweakUI having a fixup tool for
that. As for browser search page opening, nowadays, its advisable to not
have any default action or autorun enabled for root folders of drives.
Run an anti-malware scan to see if your machine is infected. Worse comes
to worst, you might have to follow Dan C's advise...but twice? I'm not
so sure.

--
Diabolic Preacher
As Is