Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Toshiba Portege 3440-CM ptoblem

Re: Toshiba Portege 3440-CM ptoblem

peterwn

On Aug 11, 4:33*pm, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * * * * A legacy machine donted to me recently.
>
> * * * * Loaded w2000
>
> * * * * Bios provides for booting from floppy, cd, HHD, network.
>
> * * * * It recognises external CD but will not start from bootable CD.
>
> * * * * I've searched around, but cannot find any mention of the problem
> of booting from external devices.
>
> * * * * Anyone had experience of Portege 3440 suggest possible solutions.

If the external CD is not via a standard IDE 0 or 1 connection the
BIOS is unlikely to recognise it on an older machine. You would be
back to the early CD days when you booted up with a floppy, installed
a CD driver then use the CD to install Windows, Linux etc.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <d63a4090-643e-4ea1-ac74-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, peterwn wrote:

> On Aug 11, 4:33 pm, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Bios provides for booting from floppy, cd, HHD, network.

> If the external CD is not via a standard IDE 0 or 1 connection the
> BIOS is unlikely to recognise it on an older machine. You would be
> back to the early CD days when you booted up with a floppy, installed
> a CD driver then use the CD to install Windows, Linux etc.

Or a network boot might be another option.