Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: OT -- Desktop or Laptop ?

Re: OT -- Desktop or Laptop ?

Mike Easter

m. wrote:
> I have a desktop that is nearly 8 years old.

I have one of those.

> It's
> starting to groan & rumble even when idling.

I have computers with hardware problems. Whenever one gets into too bad
condition that it won't perform satisfactorily without repair, it gets
disassembled and salvaged for any parts worth keeping; which usually
isn't much for something like an 8 y/o machine. You might be able to
use the cdrom for something; the floppy might come in handy if your
next box is a cheap one and doesn't have a floppy.

> It's time for a new pc.

Certainly it isn't likely to be worth fixing the 8 y/o, but groaning and
rumbling is a curious symptom. I wonder if you are talking about a hdd
problem or something else as simple as a case/fan vibration rattle.
There's a lot of difference between a 'simple' vibration and a hdd that
is getting ready to die.

> I don't play games so I don't need high-end graphics or sound or any
> other type of specialization.

Then you should be able to buy a very cheap computer. My local Fry's
had a low performance one on sale the other day for less than $200.
With keyboard, mouse, & speakers.

> I just need a solid pc for emailing, surfing, and word-processing.

> have always bought a desktop, but that is because when I was in the
> market the cost of a laptop was prohibitive. Now, things are
> different; prices are more reasonable. But this makes choosing even
> more difficult since there are so many more possibilities.

There is still a big difference between a LT and a DT in terms of how
much hardware you get for how many dollars.

> I'm checking out the reviews on the pc review sites such as Cnet,

and
> I'm looking at the recommendations from the online magazines such as

PC
> Mag & PC World. I'm asking you all here because I think the best

place
> for a recommendation is from real people. So.......
>
> Which kind of pc platform do you all prefer?

Desktops. The only advantage a LT has is its portability, which comes
at a big price in terms of ergonomics, upgradability, repairability,
breakability, and missing functions and hardware deficiencies compared
to a similarly priced DT. If you *must* be portable, then you must have
a LT, otherwise you are paying a price for portability you don't need.

> Have you used mostly
> Intel or AMD?

Everything I've bought, I've bought on sale and it has always been some
kind of AMD with variable kinds of support chips. I don't have anything
against Intel, it just hasn't worked out that way for me for getting a
dynamite price.

> I'm especially interested in hearing from any AMD
> owners -- I've always bought Intel, but I've heard that a comparable
> in power AMD is more efficient than the Intel. But the best source

of
> the truth of that is from an owner.

If you are shopping for price and on-sale items, you will always be
buying something which is starting to be 'over the hill'. The mfr is
trying to clear out their inventory.

> So -- If you have a preference or any other type of comment, please
> post.

So called 'netbooks' which are like little laptops without any kind of
optical drive are economically priced, but they have disadvantages
compared to both desktops and laptops; and also advantages over them.
Most of the people who buy netbooks also have an operational LT or DT.

The sub-$200 machine I mentioned was more like a desktop sized 'net
top' -- that is, with low performing Atom cpu like a nettop, but in a
relatively normal sized micro-ATX case and normal sized hdd.

--
Mike Easter

nut

m. wrote:
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> Rgr wrote:
>>
>>> I hate laptops except those times when I need a computer somewhere
>>> away from the home/office. Their keyboards are tiny, the screen is
>>> nearly unreadable and that ****ing touchpad I wouldn't wish on a
>>> glurd. If you *need* a laptop there's no contest. If you're not
>>> sure, get a desktop.

>> Oops, I meant to reply to the OP, I should have contextualized and
>> trimmed my response and bottom posted it for your edification.

> Roger -- That's OK by me. I thank you for replying and I did see
> your comment on the other post.
>
> Your post, along with Mike's, is driving home the point that one
> would do better with a desktop. I have friends who have laptops. I
> didn't ask them this question because they're almost fanatical about
> them, already w/o asking. I guess the convenience is great, but i
> suspect it's the novelty of having all that computing power in a
> little rectangular case.
>
> The primary reason I was considering getting one is the mobility it
> would allow. I have some physical issues that make it hard to sit at
> a desk. But given what you all have said about the limits of the
> hardware and the limits of actually using one ('unreadable screen",
> difficult to use keyboard and touchpad), it sounds like I'd do
> better with a desktop.
>
> So, thanks very much for the help.
>
> Take care.
> m.

Check out the HP 550 ... entry level laptop

Google "HP 550 review", all laptops have their faults, but i don't think
you'll notice any of the 550's... it's a pretty solid laptop for the price.

Mike Easter

m. wrote:

> The portability is appealing; I have some physical issues that might

be
> eased by being able to recline, for example, while surfing. But

given
> the trade-offs that you have highlighted, the price of ease may be

too
> high.

There are plenty more ways to recline with a desktop's keyboard and a
flatscreen than with a LT which has everything all attached to each
other.

> That was my understanding. I'm not enough of a techie to be an owner

of
> more than one pc (of any kind). And for the sake of safety, I need

an
> optical R-RW drive for backing up my work (business letters, email,
> etc.).

There are no current so-called netbooks with any kind of optical drive.
By current definition netbooks are 'optical-less'. I like the idea of a
lighter more portable LT, but I didn't like the idea of no optical, so
when I needed a LT I bought one (on sale of course) which was more like
a cross between a netbook and a LT. It was small and light, but had a
fullsized keyboard and an optical drive. The screen is 14". 12
would've been OK with me if I could also have a fullsize keyboard and be
economical and lightweight too.

> <sigh> It looks like I'll probably be getting a desktop.

If you are the kind of person who likes to maintain hardware and open
their case and upgrade as you described earlier, the DT is a much better
decision. Whatever physical makes you want to recline and compute can
be done with a DT and the right kind of support for the flatscreen and
the keyboard.

--
Mike Easter

M.L.

>The primary reason I was considering getting one is the mobility it would
>allow. I have some physical issues that make it hard to sit at a desk.
>But given what you all have said about the limits of the hardware and the
>limits of actually using one ('unreadable screen", difficult to use
>keyboard and touchpad), it sounds like I'd do better with a desktop.

Today's laptops can have 17" screens, and full-sized keyboards. If
you like, they allow you to attach a mouse and a different keyboard
and monitor. They often come packed with multimedia devices that cost
extra on a desktop, such as a webcam, microphone, media card readers
and a PC Card slot for expansion.

Mara

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 02:19:05 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>m. wrote:
>
>> The primary reason I was considering getting one is the mobility it would
>> allow. I have some physical issues that make it hard to sit at a desk.
>> But given what you all have said about the limits of the hardware and the
>> limits of actually using one ('unreadable screen", difficult to use
>> keyboard and touchpad), it sounds like I'd do better with a desktop.

>You are on precisely the right track. Laptops are "Cool" and you can
>open them up and start typing anywhere. But if you are serious about
>getting on the net and doing some work, laptops are not a good replacement.

They're handy to grab and take to the basement when the tornado sirens go off.

--
But over all things brooding slept
The quiet sense of something lost.

Mara

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:26:13 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mara wrote:

>>> You are on precisely the right track. Laptops are "Cool" and you can
>>> open them up and start typing anywhere. But if you are serious about
>>> getting on the net and doing some work, laptops are not a good replacement.

>> They're handy to grab and take to the basement when the tornado sirens go off.

>And with some salsa and chips, they taste pretty good too.

I prefer a toaster with my salsa and chips, thanks.

>Tequila is optional, but presumed.

No way. See sig.

--
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any
other human invention in human history ... with the possible

Mara

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:38:06 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mara wrote:
>
>> No way. See sig.

>But we could make such beautiful mistakes together.

Ok. Bring two guns.

--
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any
other human invention in human history ... with the possible
exception of handguns and tequila. -- Mitch Ratcliffe

William Poaster

Above the shrieking & FUDding of the trolls,The Old Sourdough was heard
to say:

> Rgr mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>> Mara wrote:

>>> They're handy to grab and take to the basement when the tornado
>>>sirens go off.

>> And with some salsa and chips, they taste pretty good too.

> And don't forget the ice cold BEER!!11!!

As if!!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| _____
|==ASCII BEER Inc = |__|, \_____

--