Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Beware of URL Shorteners

Beware of URL Shorteners

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

This is why I don't like introducing additional points of potential failure
into the the chain <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-330108.html>.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> This is why I don't like introducing additional points of potential
>> failure into the the chain
>> <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-330108.html>.

> "Trim' ? Never heard of them - maybe that's why they've folded.
>
> Tinyurl seems to be just fine:
> http://tinyurl.com/nllaku

Couldn't agree more. I have the TinyURL preview plug-in installed in Firefox
so I don't get any ugly surprises. "This URL re-directs to blah blah blah.
Do you want to go there?" Great system.
--
Shaun.

Hamish Campbell

On Aug 11, 6:11*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
>
> > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> >> This is why I don't like introducing additional points of potential
> >> failure into the the chain
> >> <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-330108.html>.

> > "Trim' *? *Never heard of them - maybe that's why they've folded.

> > Tinyurl seems to be just fine:
> >http://tinyurl.com/nllaku

> Couldn't agree more. I have the TinyURL preview plug-in installed in Firefox
> so I don't get any ugly surprises. "This URL re-directs to blah blah blah..
> Do you want to go there?" Great system.
> --
> Shaun.
>
> "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
> warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

*shrug*

Not really a big deal. The article says "what the company hasn't said:
what will happen to existing Trim URLs"... well the tr.im homepage
says "all tr.im links will continue to redirect, and will do so until
at least December 31, 2009".

And on the tr.im blog:

"We have received more than a few emails from people asking about
buying the domain name ASAP, and redirecting all traffic. For the
record, I will not sell the domain name to spammers or speculators for
any price. All links will continue to work until the end of the year
as promised."

> This is why I don't like introducing additional points of potential failure

Insomuch that any sort functionality in any product is an 'additional
point of failure', sure.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Hamish
Campbell wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> This is why I don't like introducing additional points of potential
>> failure

> Insomuch that any sort functionality in any product is an 'additional
> point of failure', sure.

That's like saying "insomuch as having adding seatbelts to your car is just
something else that can go wrong, you shouldn't have seatbelts in your car,
sure".

Enkidu

ofn01 wrote:
> "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> This is why I don't like introducing additional points of potential
>>> failure into the the chain
>>> <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-330108.html>.

>> "Trim' ? Never heard of them - maybe that's why they've folded.
>>
>> Tinyurl seems to be just fine:
>> http://tinyurl.com/nllaku
>>

> The real problem with URL shorteners is evident here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2lrx46

Thank the little gods I had the sound turned off.

Cheers,

Cliff

Hamish Campbell

> > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
> >> This is why I don't like introducing additional points of potential
> >> failure

> > Insomuch that any sort functionality in any product is an 'additional
> > point of failure', sure.

> That's like saying "insomuch as having adding seatbelts to your car is just
> something else that can go wrong, you shouldn't have seatbelts in your car,
> sure".

Yeah, that's my point. I'll denote the sarcasm clearly next time.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <c8ddd324-996e-4da6-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, Hamish Campbell wrote:

>> > Insomuch that any sort functionality in any product is an 'additional
>> > point of failure', sure.

>> That's like saying "insomuch as having adding seatbelts to your car is
>> just something else that can go wrong, you shouldn't have seatbelts in
>> your car, sure".

> Yeah, that's my point. I'll denote the sarcasm clearly next time.

Yeah, right.

Hamish Campbell

On Aug 13, 11:40*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> >> That's like saying "insomuch as having adding seatbelts to your car is
> >> just something else that can go wrong, you shouldn't have seatbelts in
> >> your car, sure".

> > Yeah, that's my point. I'll denote the sarcasm clearly next time.

> Yeah, right.

Lawrence, you said "This is why I don't like introducing additional
points of potential failure". My statement pointed out how absurd this
was. You agreed. The end.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Hamish Campbell wrote:

>>> Yeah, that's my point. I'll denote the sarcasm clearly next time.

>> Yeah, right.

> Lawrence, you said "This is why I don't like introducing additional
> points of potential failure". My statement pointed out how absurd this
> was. You agreed. The end.

No. Your objection was absurd, which I pointed out.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs ofn01 wrote:
> "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> This is why I don't like introducing additional points of potential
>>> failure into the the chain
>>> <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-330108.html>.

>> "Trim' ? Never heard of them - maybe that's why they've folded.
>>
>> Tinyurl seems to be just fine:
>> http://tinyurl.com/nllaku
>>

> The real problem with URL shorteners is evident here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2lrx46

TinyURL preview told me that it was a youtube clip and I decided I didn't
want to proceed, not knowing exactly what video it was.

I don't see that instance being a danger of 'URL shorteners' as the full
youtube address doen't give you any clues as to what to expect either. I
mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOU8GIRUd_g Is that any less cryptic
than <http://tinyurl.com/2lrx46> ?
--
Shaun.