Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 goes weird on me! NO INTERNET!

Windows 7 goes weird on me! NO INTERNET!

XS11E

I'm running the beta and today I wanted to try a new bit of software so
I booted into Win7 (I'm booting XP Pro, Vista Ultimate 64 and Win7 with
Vista being the default and getting 99.9% of the use) and the very
first thing I got was a notice that the trial had expired and I had to
activate???????

OK, it activated with no problem. Next, my desktop had changed, I put
it all back like I had it before...

Next, it wanted to download updates and, once again all the language
packs I'd hidden were un-hidden? Hid them all again and did the
updates, and rebooted. How did it un-hide them?

Next, I clicked on IE and had no internet access at all! The icon at
the bottom says it's all OK, device manager says my Realtek lan is
installed properly....

Tried a bunch of things including system restore, no luck (no restore
points! Where did they go?)

Windows update works, I can get email and newsgroups so I DO have an
internet connection but IE won't work???? There are no error messages,
it opens a blank page and just sits there, can't open my router page,
can't open the cable modem page, can't open anything.

It DID work, last time I booted into Windows 7, a couple of weeks back,
I had no problems going to Google or any other site? So what happened?
It's acting like a fresh install except the fresh install had internet
access.

NOTE: Please do NOT tell me to Google for an answer, refer to the NO
INTERNET in the title, OK? Odds are next time I check this group I'll
be running Windows 7 and won't be able to Google or open any links,
I'll need an answer contained completely in the reply! Thanks.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Dennis Pack

XS11E:
Have you tried to open IE with no add-ons (in accessories/system tools)
to see if an add-on is the cause. Is anything else acting corrupted or just
IE? Have a great day.
--
Dennis Pack
Win-7 RC x64

"XS11E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm running the beta and today I wanted to try a new bit of software so
> I booted into Win7 (I'm booting XP Pro, Vista Ultimate 64 and Win7 with
> Vista being the default and getting 99.9% of the use) and the very
> first thing I got was a notice that the trial had expired and I had to
> activate???????
>
> OK, it activated with no problem. Next, my desktop had changed, I put
> it all back like I had it before...
>
> Next, it wanted to download updates and, once again all the language
> packs I'd hidden were un-hidden? Hid them all again and did the
> updates, and rebooted. How did it un-hide them?
>
> Next, I clicked on IE and had no internet access at all! The icon at
> the bottom says it's all OK, device manager says my Realtek lan is
> installed properly....
>
> Tried a bunch of things including system restore, no luck (no restore
> points! Where did they go?)
>
> Windows update works, I can get email and newsgroups so I DO have an
> internet connection but IE won't work???? There are no error messages,
> it opens a blank page and just sits there, can't open my router page,
> can't open the cable modem page, can't open anything.
>
> It DID work, last time I booted into Windows 7, a couple of weeks back,
> I had no problems going to Google or any other site? So what happened?
> It's acting like a fresh install except the fresh install had internet
> access.
>

> NOTE: Please do NOT tell me to Google for an answer, refer to the NO
> INTERNET in the title, OK? Odds are next time I check this group I'll
> be running Windows 7 and won't be able to Google or open any links,
> I'll need an answer contained completely in the reply! Thanks.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://improve-usenet.org

> signature database 4318 (2009080 __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4318 (2009080 __________

http://www.eset.com

Bogey Man

Right click on a page in IE and check the encoding. I found several pages
using IE 8 that showed some weird encoding and I changed that to Windows
Encoding and all appeared properly.

Good luck

--
Ron

"XS11E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm running the beta and today I wanted to try a new bit of software so
> I booted into Win7 (I'm booting XP Pro, Vista Ultimate 64 and Win7 with
> Vista being the default and getting 99.9% of the use) and the very
> first thing I got was a notice that the trial had expired and I had to
> activate???????
>
> OK, it activated with no problem. Next, my desktop had changed, I put
> it all back like I had it before...
>
> Next, it wanted to download updates and, once again all the language
> packs I'd hidden were un-hidden? Hid them all again and did the
> updates, and rebooted. How did it un-hide them?
>
> Next, I clicked on IE and had no internet access at all! The icon at
> the bottom says it's all OK, device manager says my Realtek lan is
> installed properly....
>
> Tried a bunch of things including system restore, no luck (no restore
> points! Where did they go?)
>
> Windows update works, I can get email and newsgroups so I DO have an
> internet connection but IE won't work???? There are no error messages,
> it opens a blank page and just sits there, can't open my router page,
> can't open the cable modem page, can't open anything.
>
> It DID work, last time I booted into Windows 7, a couple of weeks back,
> I had no problems going to Google or any other site? So what happened?
> It's acting like a fresh install except the fresh install had internet
> access.
>

> NOTE: Please do NOT tell me to Google for an answer, refer to the NO
> INTERNET in the title, OK? Odds are next time I check this group I'll
> be running Windows 7 and won't be able to Google or open any links,
> I'll need an answer contained completely in the reply! Thanks.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://improve-usenet.org

XS11E

"Bogey Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Right click on a page in IE and check the encoding. I found
> several pages using IE 8 that showed some weird enc

I don't have a page in IE to click!

"Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> XS11E:
> Have you tried to open IE with no add-ons (in
> accessories/system tools)
> to see if an add-on is the cause.

Yes, doesn't help.

> Is anything else acting corrupted or just IE? Have a great day.

As I said, EVERYTHING acted corrupted but now it all seems to be fixed
and only IE won't work.

XS11E <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> XS11E:
>> Have you tried to open IE with no add-ons (in
>> accessories/system tools)
>> to see if an add-on is the cause.

> Yes, doesn't help.
>
>> Is anything else acting corrupted or just IE? Have a great day.

> As I said, EVERYTHING acted corrupted but now it all seems to be
> fixed and only IE won't work.

NOTE: Just installed Firefox, it's working perfectly. It's ONLY IE
apparently?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

XS11E

XS11E <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Went to Control Panel/Internet Options, it won't open.

It's beginning to look as if IE isn't installed properly?

XS11E <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> XS11E <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> Went to Control Panel/Internet Options, it won't open.
>
> It's beginning to look as if IE isn't installed properly?

Hmmmmm..... removed all 4 of the Windows Updatess I'd received and IE
is now working. Trial and error will tell me which one, I guess?

XS11E <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hmmmmm..... removed all 4 of the Windows Updatess I'd received and
> IE is now working. Trial and error will tell me which one, I
> guess?

KB972260, cumulative update for IE8 is the guilty party, I've hidden it
and all is well.