Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > css or level problems with pulldowns

css or level problems with pulldowns

Slinky

So here is a good one that has me a little stumped. This is the home
page of the site:

http://tinyurl.com/mkrngh

If you notice, the quicksearch is functional but can't be clicked on.
I'm not sure why. This seems to be the offending code. If I remove it,
the quicksearch jumps out of position but is functional. I'm trying to
figure out why as is, the drop downs are not accessible.

div.homepage div.quicksearch {
float:left;
height:240px;
padding:0 0 0 210px;
width:317px;
/*background: url('quicksearch.jpg') no-repeat right
top;*/ }

Slinky

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:26:52 -0400, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com>
wrote:

>So here is a good one that has me a little stumped. This is the home
>page of the site:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/mkrngh
>
>If you notice, the quicksearch is functional but can't be clicked on.
>I'm not sure why. This seems to be the offending code. If I remove it,
>the quicksearch jumps out of position but is functional. I'm trying to
>figure out why as is, the drop downs are not accessible.
>
>div.homepage div.quicksearch {
>float:left;
>height:240px;
>padding:0 0 0 210px;
>width:317px;
> /*background: url('quicksearch.jpg') no-repeat right
>top;*/ }

Apparently it is the float:left

But I can't figure out what to do about this to realign without the
float affecting the layout and the inability to click. Much appreciate
anyone's help explaining this issue.

richard

wrote:

>So here is a good one that has me a little stumped. This is the home
>page of the site:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/mkrngh
>
>If you notice, the quicksearch is functional but can't be clicked on.
>I'm not sure why. This seems to be the offending code. If I remove it,
>the quicksearch jumps out of position but is functional. I'm trying to
>figure out why as is, the drop downs are not accessible.
>
>div.homepage div.quicksearch {
>float:left;
>height:240px;
>padding:0 0 0 210px;
>width:317px;
> /*background: url('quicksearch.jpg') no-repeat right
>top;*/ }

you might want to check out ondoubleclick.
onclick assumes the first click and acts accordingly.

Slinky

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 19:38:00 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:26:52 -0400, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com>
>wrote:
>
>>So here is a good one that has me a little stumped. This is the home
>>page of the site:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/mkrngh
>>
>>If you notice, the quicksearch is functional but can't be clicked on.
>>I'm not sure why. This seems to be the offending code. If I remove it,
>>the quicksearch jumps out of position but is functional. I'm trying to
>>figure out why as is, the drop downs are not accessible.
>>
>>div.homepage div.quicksearch {
>>float:left;
>>height:240px;
>>padding:0 0 0 210px;
>>width:317px;
>> /*background: url('quicksearch.jpg') no-repeat right
>>top;*/ }

>you might want to check out ondoubleclick.
>onclick assumes the first click and acts accordingly.

Thanks Richard - but apparently it's the float:left which is causing
the problem. If I delete that the problem goes away and the dropdowns
work perfectly, although they are misaligned.

Doug Miller

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 19:38:00 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:26:52 -0400, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>So here is a good one that has me a little stumped. This is the home
>>>page of the site:
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/mkrngh

The HTML validator at http://validator.w3.org shows 59 errors; perhaps you
should fix those first.

richard

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 22:46:23 -0400, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 19:38:00 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:26:52 -0400, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>So here is a good one that has me a little stumped. This is the home
>>>page of the site:
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/mkrngh
>>>
>>>If you notice, the quicksearch is functional but can't be clicked on.
>>>I'm not sure why. This seems to be the offending code. If I remove it,
>>>the quicksearch jumps out of position but is functional. I'm trying to
>>>figure out why as is, the drop downs are not accessible.
>>>
>>>div.homepage div.quicksearch {
>>>float:left;
>>>height:240px;
>>>padding:0 0 0 210px;
>>>width:317px;
>>> /*background: url('quicksearch.jpg') no-repeat right
>>>top;*/ }

>>you might want to check out ondoubleclick.
>>onclick assumes the first click and acts accordingly.

>Thanks Richard - but apparently it's the float:left which is causing
>the problem. If I delete that the problem goes away and the dropdowns
>work perfectly, although they are misaligned.

Actually, I had posted this to the wrong thread.

Slinky

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 03:42:18 -0500, Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2009-08-08, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com> wrote:
>> So here is a good one that has me a little stumped. This is the home
>> page of the site:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/mkrngh
>>
>> If you notice, the quicksearch is functional but can't be clicked on.
>> I'm not sure why. This seems to be the offending code. If I remove it,
>> the quicksearch jumps out of position but is functional. I'm trying to
>> figure out why as is, the drop downs are not accessible.
>>
>> div.homepage div.quicksearch {
>> float:left;
>> height:240px;
>> padding:0 0 0 210px;
>> width:317px;
>> /*background: url('quicksearch.jpg') no-repeat right
>> top;*/ }

>The reason is that your <div class="dataitem single previewbox"> is on
>top of the floated quicksearch div.
>
>It may have a transparent background, but it is not immune to the mouse.
>So you're clicking on the dataitemsinglepreviewbox div, not on the
>quicksearch stuff underneath it.
>
>The reason it's stacked above is because it's position: relative. It's
>in CSS 2.1 9.9.1. Floats go at level 4 (above normal flow stuff, even
>that comes later), but positioned boxes go even higher, at level 6.
>
>It's not obvious why you need position: relative on that div, so maybe
>you could just get rid of it. If you do need it for something, then set
>the quicksearch float to position: relative and z-index: 1 to pull it to
>the front. It needs position: relative because z-index only applies to
>positioned boxes.

I've been cleaning up the CSS where it seems minimal but THIS was the
problem. How do I say a HUGE THANK YOU! I tried the index but without
the position:relative it wasn't working. Ben.... thank you so much!

Doug Miller

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com> wrote:

>I've been cleaning up the CSS where it seems minimal but THIS was the
>problem. How do I say a HUGE THANK YOU! I tried the index but without
>the position:relative it wasn't working. Ben.... thank you so much!

Don't forget you still have a lot of validation errors to fix...