Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: A question about Usenet

Re: A question about Usenet

Ralph Fox

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:02:12 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Somebody in another ng has claimed that "hundreds of millions of
> people use Usenet." But of the hundreds of people I know I can only
> think of one besides me who even knows what Usenet is.
>
> Is there any official records or any way to gauge the number of people
> using Usnet. "Hundreds of millions" looks way OTT to me.

The greater percentage of usenet users are doing binaries.

Newsgroup alt.binaries.boneless gets around 20,000 posts a day -- and that
is counting multi-part binary posts as a _single_ post, not as multiple posts.

http://www.newsadmin.com/top100bmsgs.asp

The whole alt.binaries.* hierarchy gets around 200,000 posts per day.
Again, NOT counting each part of a multi-part.

So either there are a lot of posters, or, if there were only a few then
they they would each have to be very very busy posting.

Not every poster will post every day. There will be more posters than
those who post on any given day.

And for each poster there will be many many dozens who only lurk and download.

--
Regards
Ralph

Rhino

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:22:26 +1200, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

..>And for each poster there will be many many dozens who only lurk and
download.

Very true. I check several newsgroups every day and mostly lurk. I
probably d/l once every 4-5 days and u/l approx every 30 days.

Cheers, Rhino

Stephen Worthington

wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:02:12 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somebody in another ng has claimed that "hundreds of millions of
>> people use Usenet." But of the hundreds of people I know I can only
>> think of one besides me who even knows what Usenet is.
>>
>> Is there any official records or any way to gauge the number of people
>> using Usnet. "Hundreds of millions" looks way OTT to me.

>The greater percentage of usenet users are doing binaries.
>

>Newsgroup alt.binaries.boneless gets around 20,000 posts a day -- and that
>is counting multi-part binary posts as a _single_ post, not as multiple posts.
>
> http://www.newsadmin.com/top100bmsgs.asp
>
>The whole alt.binaries.* hierarchy gets around 200,000 posts per day.
>Again, NOT counting each part of a multi-part.
>
>So either there are a lot of posters, or, if there were only a few then
>they they would each have to be very very busy posting.
>
>Not every poster will post every day. There will be more posters than
>those who post on any given day.
>
>And for each poster there will be many many dozens who only lurk and download.

There seem to be some bots posting lots of viruses to binary groups
that will be making those numbers rather bigger than they really are.

Ralph Fox

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 23:10:58 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:22:26 +1200, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:02:12 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Somebody in another ng has claimed that "hundreds of millions of
> >> people use Usenet." But of the hundreds of people I know I can only
> >> think of one besides me who even knows what Usenet is.
> >>
> >> Is there any official records or any way to gauge the number of people
> >> using Usnet. "Hundreds of millions" looks way OTT to me.

> >The greater percentage of usenet users are doing binaries.
> >

> >Newsgroup alt.binaries.boneless gets around 20,000 posts a day -- and that
> >is counting multi-part binary posts as a _single_ post, not as multiple posts.
> >
> > http://www.newsadmin.com/top100bmsgs.asp
> >
> >The whole alt.binaries.* hierarchy gets around 200,000 posts per day.
> >Again, NOT counting each part of a multi-part.
> >
> >So either there are a lot of posters, or, if there were only a few then
> >they they would each have to be very very busy posting.
> >
> >Not every poster will post every day. There will be more posters than
> >those who post on any given day.
> >
> >And for each poster there will be many many dozens who only lurk and download.

> There seem to be some bots posting lots of viruses to binary groups
> that will be making those numbers rather bigger than they really are.

In the (admittedly very few) binary groups which I read, only a small
percentage of posts would be from bots posting viruses. YMMV.

I have no doubt there are virus-posting bots. The question is what
percentage of all posts are from bots; how far these bots skew the
numbers.

--
Regards
Ralph

Re: Usenet abuse (addressed to Usenet admins) Mike Easter Computer Support 5 01-18-2010 09:18 AM
Re: Usenet abuse (addressed to Usenet admins) Tony Computer Support 0 01-17-2010 06:05 PM
Thunderbird Usenet Question: How can I set the Distribution header on my posted message ? Al Dykes Firefox 2 01-12-2005 08:37 PM
Usenet question wwp Computer Support 12 04-14-2004 04:07 PM
usenet question?? gajabo Computer Support 11 10-06-2003 04:48 PM

Advertisments