Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > OpenOffice vs Ribbon

OpenOffice vs Ribbon

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Some are accusing the Ooo interface designers of aping Microsoft's ribbon
interface, and furthermore opining that it's a step backwards
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3649>.

Alan

"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
message news:h5dea1$sko$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some are accusing the Ooo interface designers of aping Microsoft's
> ribbon
> interface, and furthermore opining that it's a step backwards
> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3649>.

Hard to see how they *aren't* just copying MS design and always have -
do you have a problem with that?

Definitely a big backward step from my perspective if they move to a
ribbon approach though.

Alan.

My unmunged email is: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min probably much longer).

JohnO

On Aug 7, 8:47*am, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
> messagenews:h5dea1$sko$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Some are accusing the Ooo interface designers of aping Microsoft's
> > ribbon
> > interface, and furthermore opining that it's a step backwards
> > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3649>.

> Hard to see how they *aren't* just copying MS design and always have -
> do you have a problem with that?
>
> Definitely a big backward step from my perspective if they move to a
> ribbon approach though.
>
> Alan.

Agreed on both points. Office 2007 is unusable. What on earth were
they thinking?

PeeCee

"JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Aug 7, 8:47 am, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
> messagenews:h5dea1$sko$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Some are accusing the Ooo interface designers of aping Microsoft's
> > ribbon
> > interface, and furthermore opining that it's a step backwards
> > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3649>.

> Hard to see how they *aren't* just copying MS design and always have -
> do you have a problem with that?
>
> Definitely a big backward step from my perspective if they move to a
> ribbon approach though.
>
> Alan.

Agreed on both points. Office 2007 is unusable. What on earth were
they thinking?

They were building it for the lowest common denominator.
duh <insert country of choice> users!

Paul.

Alan

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h5fq0o$2he$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Aug 7, 8:47 am, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>> messagenews:h5dea1$sko$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > Some are accusing the Ooo interface designers of aping
>> > Microsoft's
>> > ribbon
>> > interface, and furthermore opining that it's a step backwards
>> > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3649>.

>> Hard to see how they *aren't* just copying MS design and always
>> have -
>> do you have a problem with that?
>>
>> Definitely a big backward step from my perspective if they move to
>> ribbon approach though.
>>
>> Alan.
>>

> Agreed on both points. Office 2007 is unusable. What on earth were
> they thinking?
>

> They were building it for the lowest common denominator.
> duh <insert country of choice> users!
>
> Paul.

I agree.

I believe that the issue is that they listen to community feedback too
much, but that tends to come from the newbies who ask for things that
are already there.

Therefore, their changes are driven towards people who don't use the
software, rather than people who do.

Why on earth they don't offer the choice of ribbon and menus I cannot
fathom.

Alan.

My unmunged email is: (E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min probably much longer).

Gordon

On 2009-08-06, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 7, 8:47*am, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>> messagenews:h5dea1$sko$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > Some are accusing the Ooo interface designers of aping Microsoft's
>> > ribbon
>> > interface, and furthermore opining that it's a step backwards
>> > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3649>.

>> Hard to see how they *aren't* just copying MS design and always have -
>> do you have a problem with that?
>>
>> Definitely a big backward step from my perspective if they move to a
>> ribbon approach though.
>>
>> Alan.
>>

> Agreed on both points. Office 2007 is unusable. What on earth were
> they thinking?

Carnations

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 05:37:57 +0000, Gordon wrote:

> Agreed on both points. Office 2007 is unusable. What on earth were they
> thinking?

They were thinking of the average dumb office worker who can't use most of the features in an average office
productivity suite.