Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > acer e recovery mangement

acer e recovery mangement

David Wells

Just got a new acer notbook came with this software acer e recovery
mangement software. The acer model I have is 7735z-4033
Ever time I try and use it after about 2 minutes of doing nothing or
even starting the built in optical drive it says error code 0X205
burning failed please insert blank disk. Have tried several different
DVD all the same even tried to format one dvd. Same problem. The drive
appears ok as it Backed up the files using windows back and recover
program included in the windows vista operating system. Any one got
and ideas

David

sandy58

On Aug 5, 5:49*pm, David Wells <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Just got a new acer notbook came with this software acer e recovery
> mangement software. The acer model I have is 7735z-4033
> Ever time I try and use it after about 2 minutes of doing nothing or
> even starting the built in optical drive it says error code 0X205
> burning failed please insert blank disk. Have tried several different
> DVD all the same even tried to format one dvd. Same problem. The drive
> appears ok as it Backed up the files using windows back and recover
> program included in the windows vista operating system. Any one got
> and ideas
>
> David

What software are you using? How many dvd/cd-roms do you have?
This sounds a stupid question but...are you sure it is a DVD-rom
drive?
But the software is crucial so let's hear about it, David.

Paul

David Wells wrote:
> Just got a new acer notbook came with this software acer e recovery
> mangement software. The acer model I have is 7735z-4033
> Ever time I try and use it after about 2 minutes of doing nothing or
> even starting the built in optical drive it says error code 0X205
> burning failed please insert blank disk. Have tried several different
> DVD all the same even tried to format one dvd. Same problem. The drive
> appears ok as it Backed up the files using windows back and recover
> program included in the windows vista operating system. Any one got
> and ideas
>
> David

Is the media you're using, writable ? And big enough to hold the amount
of files expected ? I doubt there is a document showing what that
error code means. Maybe if there is general purpose optical writer
software on the laptop, you could burn a test disc with your supply
of media, and see if the optical drive works.

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/no...e7735Zul.shtml

Page 11 claims the eRecovery software will burn a "factory DVD", which might be
useful for backing up any software they put in a hidden partition on the hard drive.

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/ma...0-%20final.pdf

If the optical drive is having problems, I would find a software that can operate
as a "virtual" writer. In that way, when the software thinks it is writing
to a CD or DVD, it will end up writing an ISO9660 file to the hard drive.

Then, the next step, would be using a separate software, to read the ISO9660 (.iso)
and create a bootable disc from it. You don't just "copy" the file to the
DVD, you use a tool that knows how to parse the file. You end up with a file
system transferred to the optical media.

So you could attempt to use ISO9660 format as an intermediate step, in the hopes
that some other CD/DVD writer software works better.

*******

Another alternative, is to purchase an external 5.25" enclosure, and a desktop
DVD writer, assemble the unit, then plug it in via USB to the back of the laptop.
That drive should then automatically, without any drivers, show up as a burn
target in the eRecovery target drop-down menu. This is an example of the external
burner setup I've got. It uses an AC adapter, which I leave plugged in. It has
a switch on the back, to turn it on. I can leave the USB connected, and the
drive is not detected, until you turn on the power switch.

5.25" IDE enclosure. An IDE to USB2 dongle style adapter could be used just as easily.

http://www.startech.com/item/IDECASE...rive-Case.aspx

Retail GH22 DVD writer, includes a copy of Nero Lite.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...76&catid=10475

You can also buy pre-assembled writers, but they tend to be a
"slim" form factor, slot load and the like. My combination of
components, is a regular tray load, which I happen to like better.

Paul

sandy58

On Aug 5, 5:49*pm, David Wells <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Just got a new acer notbook came with this software acer e recovery
> mangement software. The acer model I have is 7735z-4033
> Ever time I try and use it after about 2 minutes of doing nothing or
> even starting the built in optical drive it says error code 0X205
> burning failed please insert blank disk. Have tried several different
> DVD all the same even tried to format one dvd. Same problem. The drive
> appears ok as it Backed up the files using windows back and recover
> program included in the windows vista operating system. Any one got
> and ideas
>
> David

PS. Buy a couple of re-writable dvd's too, David.

David Wells

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 05:23:40 -0700 (PDT), sandy58
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Aug 5, 5:49*pm, David Wells <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Just got a new acer notbook came with this software acer e recovery
>> mangement software. The acer model I have is 7735z-4033
>> Ever time I try and use it after about 2 minutes of doing nothing or
>> even starting the built in optical drive it says error code 0X205
>> burning failed please insert blank disk. Have tried several different
>> DVD all the same even tried to format one dvd. Same problem. The drive
>> appears ok as it Backed up the files using windows back and recover
>> program included in the windows vista operating system. Any one got
>> and ideas
>>
>> David

>PS. Buy a couple of re-writable dvd's too, David.

Update.
Thanks yes it has just the one built in drive and it is a DVD CD
drive. I sent a note to Acer support and they sent me a link to
download and update that e-recover software and it solved the
problem. I was able to make the 3 backup DVD just fine
Thanks agin