Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows V Lunix

Windows V Lunix

thingy

On Aug 6, 11:08*am, (E-Mail Removed)
(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Collector_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Enkidu wrote:

> (snip)
> >,My castle for just two or three **SUPERIOR USERS** on my sites, life
> >would get easier and I doubt it would mater what OS

> OK, now this raises an interesting point. Do "we" try to educate users these
> days or do we just let them wallow in ignorance, accepting that ignorance is
> normal ?
> If the latter, has this been a decision or just what happened because of
> circumstances ?

Decision...ppl dont want to be bothered, so zero effort on their part
== zero effort on mine....you can take a horse to water but you cannot
make it drink.

> I come from a computing time when opening the box was just expected, so at
> least we had an idea of what was inside. Similarly, we usually had to
> understand what the software was trying to do and how to work out what was
> causing the wierd fault/problem. Seems to me that most people these days
> just treat computers a bit like a toaster ... and given that most people
> don't even know how toasters work, that doesn't sound clever.
>
> Thoughts ?

ditto cars....but do you need to know how to build an engine to drive
safely?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <5d601767-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy wrote:

> ...but do you need to know how to build an engine to drive safely?

You don't, but beware of those who use this as an excuse to deny you access
to your own engine altogether <http://www.wlug.org.nz/SealedBonnetFallacy>.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, geoff wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Troll away. Please continue.

>> Did I read right? Did the Impossibot admit that Linux can be managed
>> by people of less-than-outstanding intelligence?

> That Lazzo, appears to be self-evident.

But no. We continually hear from Dimdows boosters that Linux is too "geeky"
to catch on among "ordinary" people. Yet here we have the biggest, most
virulent Dimdows booster on nz.comp admit that is not the case.

impossible

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Troll away. Please continue.

>> Did I read right? Did the Impossibot admit that Linux can be managed
>> by people of less-than-outstanding intelligence?

> That Lazzo, appears to be self-evident.

The less-than-outstanding intelligence of many Linux users has never been in
doubt. How else to explain the fascination with an os that supports none of
the top-grade desktop applications that business, professional, and academic
users want? It's one thing to be geeky about niche products and quite
another to revel in their mediocrity as if that constituted a badge of
honor.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, geoff wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Troll away. Please continue.

>> Did I read right? Did the Impossibot admit that Linux can be managed
>> by people of less-than-outstanding intelligence?

> That Lazzo, appears to be self-evident.

I wonder what that says about the intelligence of those who don't seem able
to get to grips with Linux, then?

People like--ahem--Max Burke...

Woger

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:32:17 +1200, OZZY Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most PC's
>
>Lunix is use by Lunatics and has poor driver support and PC shops do not support it.

Lunix 1% windows 99% do I need to say more, I think that it speaks for
its self..