Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows V Lunix

Windows V Lunix

Bruce Sinclair

In article <4a793c2e$(E-Mail Removed)>, Collector_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Enkidu wrote:

(snip)
>,My castle for just two or three **SUPERIOR USERS** on my sites, life
>would get easier and I doubt it would mater what OS

OK, now this raises an interesting point. Do "we" try to educate users these
days or do we just let them wallow in ignorance, accepting that ignorance is
normal ?
If the latter, has this been a decision or just what happened because of
circumstances ?

I come from a computing time when opening the box was just expected, so at
least we had an idea of what was inside. Similarly, we usually had to
understand what the software was trying to do and how to work out what was
causing the wierd fault/problem. Seems to me that most people these days
just treat computers a bit like a toaster ... and given that most people
don't even know how toasters work, that doesn't sound clever.

Thoughts ?

Bruce Sinclair

In article <h5co4v$v9r$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>OZZY Boy wrote:
>> On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:32:17 +1200, OZZY Boy

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most PC's
>>> Lunix is use by Lunatics and has poor driver support and PC shops do not

> support it.
>> Lunix 1% windows 99% do I need to say more, I think that it speaks for

> its self..
>It says most lunatics use windows.

Even if anyone still believes the 1% / 99 % numbers (which we shouldn't
given they are usually quoted as based on "sales" ) ... I will note that
"popular" <> "right" .. or "clever" ... or "good".

For proof and more details, observe any politician.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <h5d7v7$ou1$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>victor wrote:
>> OZZY Boy wrote:

>snip the usual...
>
>> Point
>> and click as a standard of usability? What is this, pre-school? It seems
>> what these folks really want are Fisher-Price computers. Maybe Linux is
>> for grownups, and we should be satisfied with that."

>Linux advocated often claim Linux is better than X because you CAN use
>the command line.
>The reality is that you *HAVE TO* use that command line to make Linux work.

Simply not true IME, though it's nice to have the option.

>A Linux user spends several minutes typing in arcane commands to do X...

As above, nope.

>In Windows/MAC OS you just point/click and you've done X
>And The Linux user claims Linux is better, faster, etc, etc....

Well, that's obvious once you've used it.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, OZZY Boy wrote:

> Lunix 1% windows 99% do I need to say more,

Yes. In netbooks, Linux 24%, Dimdows 76%.

And that's the only segment of the PC market still showing signs of growth.
Do I need to say more?

victor

OZZY Boy wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:32:17 +1200, OZZY Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most PC's
>>
>> Lunix is use by Lunatics and has poor driver support and PC shops do not support it.
>>

> Lunix 1% windows 99% do I need to say more, I think that it speaks for its self..

"A lot of people make the exact same sweeping claims in all seriousness,
as though they were spokespeople for a Silent and Dimwitted Computing
Majority, and insist that until Linux is so easy that an unconscious
person can use it it will never succeed. In my opinion it's a matter of
how willing a particular individual is to learn; some folks just plain
don't want to try. Which is their privilege, but as long as they're
using a computer for any reason it makes no sense to resist learning how
to use it efficiently. But then, trying to make sense of human behavior
is a futile task, so I'm not going to think about it too much.

Meanwhile, back at the reader comments Benfrank chimes in with a
perfectly splendid retort:

"OMG a knife, a spoon, AND a fork?? **nervous breakdown**"

He makes a good point-- until all food can be prepared and eaten with a
single intuitive dead-simple perfect implement, then by gosh nobody
should even try to eat.

Meanwhile back in the real world, it is silly to go on strike and refuse
to invest any effort in learning to use a computer competently because
it has not yet attained some weird ideal state of effortless perfection.
Windows is not easier than Linux. Mac OS X is not easier than Linux.
Both Mac and Windows are considerably more limited in what they allow
you to do than Linux, not only technically but legally as well. Point
and click as a standard of usability? What is this, pre-school? It seems
what these folks really want are Fisher-Price computers. Maybe Linux is
for grownups, and we should be satisfied with that."

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/6814/1/

Max Burke

victor wrote:

snip the usual...

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Found Images

victor

Max Burke wrote:
> victor wrote:
>> OZZY Boy wrote:

> snip the usual...
>
>> Point and click as a standard of usability? What is this, pre-school?
>> It seems what these folks really want are Fisher-Price computers.
>> Maybe Linux is for grownups, and we should be satisfied with that."

> Linux advocated often claim Linux is better than X because you CAN use
> the command line.
> The reality is that you *HAVE TO* use that command line to make Linux work.
>
> A Linux user spends several minutes typing in arcane commands to do X...
>
> In Windows/MAC OS you just point/click and you've done X
>
> And The Linux user claims Linux is better, faster, etc, etc....

You recently complained that your Linux install updated inconveniently.
You could have configured that with the GUI, its just that you prefer to
whinge.
Often the command line is an easy way of entering a series of commands,
equivalents exist in other operating systems.
Its often easier to cut and paste a config file than use the gui
dashboard to enter a bunch of tick boxes.
Its all text under the hood.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <h5d7v7$ou1$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Max Burke wrote:

> The reality is that you *HAVE TO* use that command line to make Linux
> work.

No more than the reality is that you *HAVE TO* do Registry edits, with all
the risks that that entails to your system, to make Windows work.

> In Windows/MAC OS you just point/click and you've done X

Go to the Start menu. Select "Frobnicator Settings". In the window that
appears, select the "Pre-frobnication tab". Click on the "Add New Pre-
Frobnicator" button. In the dialog that appears, fill in the fields as
follows--

What? You can't see a "Pre-Frobnication" tab? Oh sorry--are you running
Vista or XP? Oh, that's right, they moved those settings to another window.
Find your "Additional Extensions" tab. Click on the "Frobnication
Extensions" addition. When that opens, look for the "extended additions"
add-on. Click on--

Eyelids ... getting ... so ... heavy ... *snore*

peterwn

On Aug 5, 6:32*pm, OZZY Boy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Yes Windows that *can be used by most people and can run on most PC's
>
> Lunix * is use by Lunatics and has poor driver support and PC shops do not support it.

Several years ago Fletcher Building got done for predatory pricing by
the Commerce Commission for lowering the price of insulating 'Batts'
to try and drivre the opposition out of business.

Seems like Microsoft is pulling a rather similar stunt with netbooks.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <0e8a6509-8911-4a39-99fd-
(E-Mail Removed)>, peterwn wrote:

> Several years ago Fletcher Building got done for predatory pricing by
> the Commerce Commission for lowering the price of insulating 'Batts'
> to try and drivre the opposition out of business.
>
> Seems like Microsoft is pulling a rather similar stunt with netbooks.

But how long can it continue to afford the price
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4604>?