Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Recommendation for next steps for an MCSA2003

Recommendation for next steps for an MCSA2003

LMC

I'm currently at this point: 284, 270, 291, 290
In other words, MCSA.
I'm trying to wiegh the benefits of going the remaining path to MCSE ( those
3 other tests) or transition to MCITP, the server 2008 track.

Have any of you been down this road. It's not so much an employer directed
requirement, I've been contracting for years. I'm trying to make sense of the
possible directions I can take. Have any of you made sense of the upgrade
path for someone at the MCSA (2003) ?

Appericate whatever feedback you can offer.

LMC

I've just taken the time to read several other posts and it appears I'm in
the same boat with many others, at least with the confusion factor. I have a
feeling I'm going to have my chops broken for coming up with a lame question.
From what I've read it seems to make sense and complete the MCSE track since
it will not go away. So, perhaps I've anwsered my own question.

Regards from the Midwest...

"LMC" wrote:

> I'm currently at this point: 284, 270, 291, 290
> In other words, MCSA.
> I'm trying to wiegh the benefits of going the remaining path to MCSE ( those
> 3 other tests) or transition to MCITP, the server 2008 track.
>
> Have any of you been down this road. It's not so much an employer directed
> requirement, I've been contracting for years. I'm trying to make sense of the
> possible directions I can take. Have any of you made sense of the upgrade
> path for someone at the MCSA (2003) ?
>
> Appericate whatever feedback you can offer.

John R

"LMC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just taken the time to read several other posts and it appears I'm in
> the same boat with many others, at least with the confusion factor. I have
> feeling I'm going to have my chops broken for coming up with a lame
> question.
> From what I've read it seems to make sense and complete the MCSE track
> since
> it will not go away. So, perhaps I've anwsered my own question.
>
> Regards from the Midwest...
>
> "LMC" wrote:
>
>> I'm currently at this point: 284, 270, 291, 290
>> In other words, MCSA.

I don't think anyone is going to bust any chops Here is the skinny...
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...mcsa.aspx#tab4
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...mcse.aspx#tab4

Are you now, or will you in the future be supporting Server 2003 and if so,
do you think you will be using MCSE skills? MCSA typically is a
install/configure/maintain position and MCSE typically is a planning/design
position (at least, so says Microsoft). If you see yourself in the MCSE
arena marketing yourself for those skill sets, then MCSE might make sense
for you.

From MCSA 2003, you can take 70-648 which will earn you MCTS: Server 2008 AD
config, and MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Config. Now, those
credentials and 70-646 will earn you MCITP: Server Admin.
From there, you could get to MCITP:Enterprise Admin by adding 70-643, 70-647
and either 70-620 or 70-624.
So, to go from MCSA 2003 to MCITP:SA to MCITP:EA, you are looking at 5
additional tests.

Now, go the other way. Complete MCSE 2003 with 70-293, 70-294, and 70-297
or 70-298. Add to that 70-649 (which will get 3 MCTS's). Now, for MCITP:SA
you need 70-646. For MCITP:EA you need 70-647 and either 70-620 or 70-624.
In total, that would be 7 tests if you obtain both MCITP:SA and MCITP:EA.

To obtain both MCITP:SA and MCITP:EA, you have a shorter path by not
completing MCSE 2003. But, if the MCSE 2003 credential is important for you
and your future plans, going the longer route might make sense.

MCSE and MCSA will never expire and are probably (at this point) more widely
recognized. However, because they are based on Server 2003 (which is
already going out the door and some shops), their utility will be limited at
some point in the future. MCTS and MCITP credentials will expire when
mainline support for their underlying technologies expire. One would assume
however that when MCITP:SA (200 and MCITP:EA (200 expire, that MCSA and
MCSE will pretty much be useless by then anyway.

If you are not in the planning/design arenas, then to get to MCITP:SA, you
simply need 70-648 and 70-646.

See, simple huh?

John R.

MCSE 2003 next steps Mikoyan MCTS 3 04-17-2010 08:16 PM
Next steps in Ruby? Aldric Giacomoni Ruby 4 10-19-2009 05:39 PM
asp:Wizard control - hiding "next" button on certain steps. Nick Gilbert ASP .Net 5 01-24-2007 06:47 AM
MCSA2003, where to start? Garth H Microsoft Certification 2 11-10-2005 09:36 PM