Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Acer TravelMate 2310 will not turn on

Acer TravelMate 2310 will not turn on

Clocky

Thomas wrote:
> On Aug 5, 11:12 am, "Clocky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Thomas wrote:
>>> Hello,

>>> I tried updating the BIOS of my laptop / notebook using WinPhlash,
>>> the flashing seemed to go okay, then the program attempted an
>>> automatic restart. Windows pretty much logged off and everything
>>> and then suddenly seemed to freeze before finishing the restart
>>> (the background picture for my login screen was the only thing
>>> displayed).

>>> So I tried holding the power button for a few seconds to force a
>>> shutdown, but nothing happened. Since my battery holds a weak
>>> charge, I decided to just unplug the laptop and let the battery
>>> drain, which did the trick for shutting off.

>>> Now the problem is, the laptop won't turn on. I tried turning it on
>>> with and without the battery and with and without the adapter
>>> plugged in. In all cases, the battery charging / charged indicator
>>> is green (indicating full charge) which is strange since lately
>>> (the past few months) it's been orange due to the weak battery.
>>> This seems in my mind to eliminate any major fault with the
>>> motherboard or with the adapter.

>>> What I'd really like to know is, if the BIOS hasn't been properly
>>> programmed, should it cause the power button to no longer respond?

>> Yes, without a working BIOS your laptop is effectively dead.
>>
>>> Also, how does WinPhlash reprogram a BIOS? Does it reprogram while
>>> Windows is running or does it somehow place the new BIOS code into
>>> something like the Master Boot Record (MBR) or similar mechanism and
>>> then load the new BIOS at the next computer startup? This last
>>> question will help in ruling out a bad BIOS flash, since, as I
>>> mentioned, the flashing seemed to go okay, just the hang up during
>>> the reboot.

>> I would think that the BIOS is loaded from the EEPROM into memory
>> and when flashing the new BIOS is flashed into the EEPROM whilst
>> BIOS functions can still be accessed from the BIOS copied to memory.
>> When you reboot however, the BIOS is loaded from EEPROM and if the
>> flash has gone wrong or the BIOS isn't correct that is when you will
>> run into booting problems.
>>
>>> Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated

>>> P.S.: I do have the skills and am prepared to desolder the flash
>>> chip, reprogram it "manually", and resolder it if necessary.
>>> Especially since I just bought a new battery for the laptop.

>> The flash chip may well be surface mounted which is not going to be
>> an easy fix, but it's more likely to be socketed. You may want to
>> check to see if you can do a CMOS clear with a jumper (or whatever
>> is applicable to our laptop) first to see if that fixes it first.

> It is indeed surface mounted, but like I said, I could desolder it
> (and I have in fact read a forum post of someone who did such a thing:
> http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic9260.html ) And now that I've
> relooked at the forum post, I realize it is the exact same chip, an
> [...]

I bought my burner off Ebay for about $20 plus postage (see link) and whilst
it's fairly basic it works very well. There are adaptors available for PLCC,
scroll down to see what is supported and what you need and if in doubt ask
the seller he was very helpful when I had some questions.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=190324568967

acerbattery acerbattery is offline
Junior Member

excellent.
we provide cheap acer laptop batteries with high quality.

acer668

responding to
http://www.1-script.com/forums/Acer-...e48942--25.htm
acer668 wrote:
<a
href="http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/acer/acer-aspire-5110-battery">Acer
Aspire 5110 battery</a>
<a
href="http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/acer/acer-aspire-5500-battery">Acer
Aspire 5500 battery</a>
<a
href="http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/acer/acer-aspire-5610-battery">Acer
Aspire 5610 battery</a>
<a
href="http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/acer/acer-aspire-5630-battery">Acer
Aspire 5630 battery</a>
<a
href="http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/acer/acer-aspire-5680-battery">Acer
Aspire 5680 battery</a>
<a
href="http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/acer/acer-aspire-5720-battery">Acer
Aspire 5720 battery</a>
<a
href="http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/acer/acer-aspire-5920-battery">Acer
Aspire 5920 battery</a>
<a
href="http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/acer/acer-aspire-6920-battery">Acer
Aspire 6920 battery</a>
<a
href="http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/acer/acer-aspire-7520-battery">Acer
Aspire 7520 battery</a>
<a
href="http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/acer/acer-aspire-7720g-battery">Acer
Aspire 7720G battery</a>
<a
href="http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/acer/acer-aspire-8920-battery">Acer
Aspire 8920 battery</a>
<a
href="http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/acer/acer-aspire-8930-battery">Acer
Aspire 8930 battery</a>
<a
href="http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/acer/acer-travelmate-2000-battery">Acer
TravelMate 2000 battery</a>

sewi001 sewi001 is offline
Junior Member
Location: laptop ac adapter

Do you need a new Toshiba laptop power cord since yours is damaged or ruined? Get a new Toshiba laptop power cord so you can put your mind to rest and avoid being stranded with a dead battery and a missed deadline. If you do any type of valuable work on your computer making sure that you always have a safe or backup power cord is absolutely critical. One thing about laptops is that if you lose the cord, you also lose the computer and the ability to keep it running. Always keep your existing power cord safe and in a dry area.If you need to purchase a new laptop cord, a great place to look is online. There are plenty of places to purchase new cords in stores like Best Buy and CompUSA but you might not find your model. There are literally thousands of laptop models out there and it's impossible to find the right power cord or adapter that you may need. Looking online is the next logical choice and it can save you a substantial amount of money in the process as well.Toshiba laptop cords can be found online at price comparison sites or auction sites like eBay. You can even find them at classifieds sites like Craig's list in some cases. Whatever you do, don't pay full price for your cord-you don't have to! There are too many vendors online these days offering cords at huge discounts and for free shipping in some cases, so make sure you seek these out and use them to your full advantage.
acer aspire adapter
laptop ac adapter