Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows XP x64 + Wireless LAN Adapter

Windows XP x64 + Wireless LAN Adapter

Neil Damsky

I am running Windows XP Pro x64 on an AMD Anthlon x64 processor with 4GB
memory.

Linksys says its WMP54G wireless network adapter is not compatible with XP
x64.

What's a good wireless network adapter that is compatible?

Dominic Payer

I believe v4.1 of the WMP54G uses the Ralink 2561/RT61 chip so the
generic Ralink drivers from
http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...t/Windows.html will work.

If you have some other version the chip may be different. Find what it
is and use the chip manufacturer's generic driver.

On 04/08/2009 21:40, Neil Damsky wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Pro x64 on an AMD Anthlon x64 processor with 4GB
> memory.
>
> Linksys says its WMP54G wireless network adapter is not compatible with XP
> x64.
>
> What's a good wireless network adapter that is compatible?

Charlie Russel - MVP

I seem to recall that there were finally drivers for the Aetheros based
cards. If so, those would be my first choice. (Generally speaking, the
802.11a/b/g cards were pretty much all Aetheros-based, so check sites like
dlink.com for XP x64 drivers for their a/b/g cards.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I believe v4.1 of the WMP54G uses the Ralink 2561/RT61 chip so the
> generic Ralink drivers from
> http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...t/Windows.html will work.
>
> If you have some other version the chip may be different. Find what it is
> and use the chip manufacturer's generic driver.
>

> On 04/08/2009 21:40, Neil Damsky wrote:
>> I am running Windows XP Pro x64 on an AMD Anthlon x64 processor with 4GB
>> memory.
>>
>> Linksys says its WMP54G wireless network adapter is not compatible with
>> XP
>> x64.
>>
>> What's a good wireless network adapter that is compatible?

Neil

Thanks for your response; it helped put us on the right track.

We spent some time tracking down DLink.com drivers for Aetheros based cards;
none of them worked.

After trying several drivers from RALinkTech.com we came across the RT61
driver. After hacking RT61.inf accordingly (as described in
http://trippedbreaker.livejournal.com/11852.html), we did get the Linksys
card to work

However, the question remains--should we decide to build another AMD Anthlon
x64 based machine:
What's a good wireless network adapter that is compatible?

"Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I believe v4.1 of the WMP54G uses the Ralink 2561/RT61 chip so the
> generic Ralink drivers from
> http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...t/Windows.html will work.
>
> If you have some other version the chip may be different. Find what it is
> and use the chip manufacturer's generic driver.
>

> On 04/08/2009 21:40, Neil Damsky wrote:
>> I am running Windows XP Pro x64 on an AMD Anthlon x64 processor with 4GB
>> memory.
>>
>> Linksys says its WMP54G wireless network adapter is not compatible with
>> XP
>> x64.
>>
>> What's a good wireless network adapter that is compatible?

Dominic Payer

"Good" depends on what performance you are looking for.

If you just want a basic wireless connection, check the card
manufacturers' support sites for those with x64 XP drivers.

Most cards are based on the wireless chip manufacturer's reference
design, so unless you are looking for particular features any card with
drivers for the OS you want to use will do. This is true whether you are
using AMD, Intel or any other motherboard architecture.