Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless USB Adapter no longer working

Wireless USB Adapter no longer working

Al Williams

Reposted from Networking and the Web.

I used XP Pro SP3 with WEP for some time and just decided to change to WPA
PSK/TKIP. All machines on my network work except for one that is using a USB
Wireless adapter. Tried both a Linksys WUSBGV4 and a Medialink MWN-USB54G.
They show connected, attempting to acquire address but neither ever suceed.
Suggestions?
--
Al Williams

John

Did you enable MAC filtering? Are you using the latest driver from the
manufacturer?

"Al Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Reposted from Networking and the Web.
>
> I used XP Pro SP3 with WEP for some time and just decided to change to WPA
> PSK/TKIP. All machines on my network work except for one that is using a
> USB
> Wireless adapter. Tried both a Linksys WUSBGV4 and a Medialink MWN-USB54G.
> They show connected, attempting to acquire address but neither ever
> suceed.
> Suggestions?
> --
> Al Williams

Al Williams

I did not enable MAC filtering.

I have the latest drivers for both the Linksys and Medialink units. Neither
work.
--
Al Williams

"John" wrote:

> Did you enable MAC filtering? Are you using the latest driver from the
> manufacturer?
>
> "Al Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Reposted from Networking and the Web.
> >
> > I used XP Pro SP3 with WEP for some time and just decided to change to WPA
> > PSK/TKIP. All machines on my network work except for one that is using a
> > USB
> > Wireless adapter. Tried both a Linksys WUSBGV4 and a Medialink MWN-USB54G.
> > They show connected, attempting to acquire address but neither ever
> > suceed.
> > Suggestions?
> > --
> > Al Williams

Jack-MVP

Hi
As a first step disable temp. the Encryption in the router and find out if
the "Bad card" connects at all.
Does Not connect, maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
If it connecting, configure a new WPA (WEP is Not safe) in the Router, and
use copy and paste the new pass phrase into all the Wireless computers.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Al Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Reposted from Networking and the Web.
>
> I used XP Pro SP3 with WEP for some time and just decided to change to WPA
> PSK/TKIP. All machines on my network work except for one that is using a
> USB
> Wireless adapter. Tried both a Linksys WUSBGV4 and a Medialink MWN-USB54G.
> They show connected, attempting to acquire address but neither ever
> suceed.
> Suggestions?
> --
> Al Williams

Al Williams

Jack,

Thank you for the info. I decided that it would be much easier just to
switch to Ubuntu and I did. Thanks.
--
Al Williams