Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > I would like to use another PC I have with Windows XP for processi

I would like to use another PC I have with Windows XP for processi

Edward

I want to use another computer I have to help me process my rendering etc of
video files I believe this would improve my performance
I read something about symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) kernel and it
appears to be a possibility so I would like some expert advice here to
commect the two together.....

tsperling

That, I'm afraid, is not the purpose for SMP, which is intended for having
more processors running under the same OS - or, the same PC. I am not an
authority on your intended usage, but I believe there is a technology known
as a 'Render Farm' that connects several PC's for one job, but I'm not sure
to what extend you can use them as a normal Desktop afterwards, but it is
something you might want to investigate.

Tony. . .

"Edward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to use another computer I have to help me process my rendering etc
> of
> video files I believe this would improve my performance
> I read something about symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) kernel and it
> appears to be a possibility so I would like some expert advice here to
> commect the two together.....

Dominic Payer

SMP is having two identical CPUs on one motherboard. XP Pro, but not XP
Home, supports SMP. Both XP Pro and Home support as many cores on one
CPU as their manufacturers can squeeze in.

For Render Farm, as Tony suggests, start at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_farm .

On 04/08/2009 08:16, tsperling wrote:
> That, I'm afraid, is not the purpose for SMP, which is intended for
> having more processors running under the same OS - or, the same PC. I am
> not an authority on your intended usage, but I believe there is a
> technology known as a 'Render Farm' that connects several PC's for one
> job, but I'm not sure to what extend you can use them as a normal
> Desktop afterwards, but it is something you might want to investigate.
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Edward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I want to use another computer I have to help me process my rendering
>> etc of
>> video files I believe this would improve my performance
>> I read something about symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) kernel and it
>> appears to be a possibility so I would like some expert advice here to
>> commect the two together.....

Charlie Russel - MVP

Or, if your needs are for serious parallel processing, consider Windows HPC
Server 2008. This allows you to build parallel high performance computing
clusters of a few or a few thousand computers. Compute clusters are a very
interesting technology for solving massive problems. Probably overkill for
the OPs rendering, but...

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64